Ragnarok (Netflix, Norway Seasons 1 & 2, 2020/21)

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Our comic book cover artist hepped me to this series the other day, and I watched the whole first season (6 episodes)
in two sittings. Not really sure it counts as a "superhero" show since it involves Norse gods, so I put it in "General".

It's about modern reincarnations of Norse gods who live in a small Norwegian factory town called Edda (I guess because "Saga"
would have been too on-the-nose). A bumbling lunky dyslexic kid named Magne is the reincarnation of Thor, and has to discover
his powers as well as his purpose for receiving them (from a old woman Seer / Volven who works in the local supermarket).

The rich family that runs the town (the Jutuls) is secretly a group of four Frost Giants (jotunns) who are actually thousands of years old. They exhibit physical perfection, amazing strength and great beauty, so as you might imagine there are some beautiful Nordic blondes in this series, namely Theresa Frostad (Saxa), Synnove Macody (Ran) and the whimsical high-school sweetheart Gry (who kind of has that Breakfast Club Molly Ringwald vibe). In fact, almost everyone in this series (except maybe the town junkie) is exceptionally good-looking.

In fact, the high school setup in the Norwegian town is very much like the ones in America (so, you have to imagine that this was influenced by American films, including the John Hughes classics), and the small industrial town feel is also similar to American movies which are set in coal-mining or manufacturing towns in the Midwest or Appalachia, etc except here the scenery is glaciers,
peaks, and fjords.

The series does focus on a specific progressive cause: that of environmental destruction (for which the evil selfish Frost Giants are responsible) and, to some extent, climate change (occasional mentions are made of warming weather). But other than that, it stays clear of preachiness; the "diversity" is present mostly in the background cast but not at all intrusive or imposed; and the emphasis is made on the classic "hero's journey" (Magne as the reincarnation of Thor) which is so crucial to the stories of Indo-European cultures. And not much CGI until the final episode of the first season - all the action is natural and much of it takes place among the skies and the outdoor elements.

Check it out and see what you think. The second season just came out this week, and I'll be imbibing it by next week, probably.
Next season there are supposed to be additional reincarnations of Odin, Loki, Freyja and Tyr.
Ragnarok-Season-2.jpg
Ragnarok-Season-2.jpg (165.92 KiB) Viewed 804 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Plowed through the second season of Ragnarok (which just came out on May 27) and wasn't disappointed.
There are indeed incarnations of Odin, Tyr, Freyja and Loki in Season Two.
Things escalate quite a bit with the combat violence, wanton pagan sex and special effects, and Mjolnir is forged.
There's an ongoing environmentalist message which undergirds the plot - it's the job of the old gods to bring 'balance' back
to the world, even if they have to kill a few villains to do it.

There are also some strikingly beautiful female characters in this series.

Theresa Frostad Eggesbo plays Saxa Jutul, a female Jotunn (giant) who represents the Jarnsaxa ('iron dagger') from the Norse Eddas. If you know what Jarnsaxa does with Thor in the myths, you'll have some idea of how the story begins to progress in Season 2.
Theresa-Frostad-Eggesbo.jpg
Theresa-Frostad-Eggesbo.jpg (53.15 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Synnove Macody Lund plays the icy cold Nordic beauty Ran in the series, easily as striking as Scarlet Johansson. She is a Jotunn who is powerful but still clings to the old ways (there are some mentions here of feminism, but the approach seems very second-wave, like 'a woman can be the head of corporation, too' which is certainly nothing new since at least the 70s).
Synnøve_Macody_Lund.jpg
Synnøve_Macody_Lund.jpg (81.31 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Danu Sunth is the incarnation of the goddess Freyja. Her character is Sri Lankan, but the way this is explained is that she is the adopted child of Swedes, so she is fully Norse by birth. Part of her attraction is her headstrong attitude, plus she has curves for days. Freyja's power to convince people by seduction leads her to a brief lesbian kiss (which I wish would have lasted longer).
danu sunth.jpg
danu sunth.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 779 times
The other aspect I like about the series is the soundtrack. In season they mostly settled for "imitation darkness" using a mixture of generic European EDM, electro-pop, some indie-hipster bands, and some ethereal-sounding singer-songwriters (like Sharon Von Etten). But Season 2 finally starts to show glimmers of true musical darkness...such as an excellent new track by Depeche Mode's Martin Gore...and a shamanistic drone masterpiece by one of the biggest bands of the European pagan music revival: Heilung.
Here's hoping they bring more of the excellent Scandinavian and Germanic pagan music into Season 3, which would fit the topic
so well!
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Season 2 still isn't available on Canadian Netflix. I checked out Season 1 and it was pretty cool, though. Pretty familiar Supernatural Teen Drama tropes, but the cast is good. Hope we get to see the second season soonish.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)