Resident Alien

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Syfy put out the first two episodes for free on Youtube. Its entertaining.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yes I saw it on Sky one this week in the UK.
Tudyk (sp? ) is always quality.
His female Co star is pretty cute.. It has chuckles more than belly laughs but its OK.
I can see it getting better as his efforts to keep himself a secret get more and more extreme
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

so far so good, lots of laughs, great idea for a series.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest Simon & Garfunkel
shevek
Producer
Producer

It's fun. Any shortcomings from the auxiliary actors are more than made up for Tudyk's amazing droll performance style. He was one of the only consistently good characters in Doom Patrol, and he's even better here. Basically this is like a science-fiction version
of Northern Exposure - instead of being Joel, the Jewish doctor from Brooklyn transplanted to Alaska, he's an alien from outer space.
shevek
Producer
Producer

FInished Season 1- not sure if anyone else did yet? Let us know what you think.

It continued to be fun until the end of the run, and it was recently renewed, so we'll see more.

But there was a significant change in the script content starting around Episode 8 and accelerating greatly into the final Episodes 9 and 10: a major core-dump of progressivist sloganeering. The sheer amount of it in the final two episodes is quite surprising for a showrunner (Chris Sheridan) who is mainly known for writing over a dozen scripts for the rather un-PC show Family Guy.

Just be aware that you'll come across these as you watch. It's still good as "ET meets Northern Exposure", and there are some great effects as well. It's also great to see Linda Hamilton as the "Woman in Black". Looking forward to Season Two.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I enjoyed it but didn't really take in the sloganeering you mentioned, I just took it at face value.
Tudyk is great in everything he's in and the female lead is cute. Oops already said that.
I'd give it 7/10 and worth a watch. Could have been better I feel but still good

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
I enjoyed it but didn't really take in the sloganeering you mentioned, I just took it at face value.
Tudyk is great in everything he's in and the female lead is cute. Oops already said that.
I'd give it 7/10 and worth a watch. Could have been better I feel but still good
without tudyk, the show would be average at best. i also see it as 7 to 8 out of 10. had a lot of laughs in season 1.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest Simon & Garfunkel
patmac4
Henchman
Henchman

Great show with a brillant cast very funny and werid
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I was hoping somehow he would have impregnated Harry's bitchy hot british wife...looks like he did give her a few mindblowing orgasms!!
shevek
Producer
Producer

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Glad everyone is enjoying it so much. It's really a solid show - basically has the feel of a 1980s sci-fi show except for the Current Year messaging I mentioned. (since Tallyho didn't notice: "my people are not a costume"; "the alien is the Christopher Columbus of
the sky"; "human male bullshit" are just a few of many examples).

I did notice one crucial difference between the comic and the TV show - in the comic, Asta Twelvetrees can *also* see the alien, but mistakes him for a "visiting spirit" because her father is a Mohawk shaman, and she keeps her suspicions quiet. The setting has also been changed from "Patience, Washington" to "Patience, Colorado" and the tribe was changed to Utes, because Mohawks don't live anywhere near either Washington *or* Colorado. I also found out that "Twelvetrees" isn't a Native American name...it's just a regular British surname. Sara Tomko, the cute actress who plays Asta (they definitely play down her looks in the series because she's supposed to present as a "working girl" type) is half Native and has been typecast a lot lately, e.g. she played Tiger Lily in Once Upon a Time.

Another point of possible humour from the comic book that they don't mention in the series is that the alien's actual name is "Hah Re" (not a series of irreproducible clicks and whistles) which of course is a pun on "Harry". Not sure why they didn't use that in the TV show, as it could have been a running gag.

Got one plot point I want to bring up, though - how did everyone know to converge on the secret government warehouse where Harry's spaceship was kept? I can see how Harry would sense its presence (perhaps using the 'device') but how did Max and Asta know to get to the building as well, not to mention how they possibly got past the guards and security systems? Isn't the facility supposed to be at least hundreds of miles away from Colorado? (I got the sense that it might be connected to Area 51 in New Mexico).

It seemed to me that after all the time spent on interpersonal complexities and relationship moments in the previous episodes, they were rushing a bit too quickly towards the climax and forgot to explain some things. Not to mention how 'convenient' the solution was, when Asta suddenly 'convinces' Harry to do something that was totally against the stated purpose of his mission.

You're right, batgirl1969, it would be really great if Harry was wrong about the viability of interspecies reproduction, and Bitchy Hot Artsy British Wife would return in the next season pregnant with an alien baby! They could construct humorous scenes based on parodies from the likes of V, Alien and Starman. I don't think that happens in the comic book, but I don't see why that'd stop the TV producers.
Last edited by shevek 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Did the kids track the cell phone on the RV to locate the warehouse? As you say doesn't explain getting past the guards. Perhaps they drove up in a Taco van and when they went to get food they sneaked in.... 😀