Relic Hunter is on Amazon Prime

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Relic Hunter was a 1999 syndicated TV adventure show starring Tia Carrere as Sydney Fox, a modern day female Indiana Jones. Kind of fun, Carrere is sexy and kickass, and gets in and out of trouble every commercial break. A fair amount of KO scenes, fights, peril and fan service along the way.

It was only out on DVD for an instant back in the day, before falling out of print, but now it's on Amazon Prime. (Someone at Amazon seems to have a soft spot for old fashioned sexy entertainment.)

Worth a look see. At one point there was a list of peril scenes online, but I'm not sure if I can find it now.
Bert

I'm one of the lucky ones who picked up the three season pack for a song a few years ago. The packaging is terrible, but it's a nice series to own. I only wish there had been a North American release of Queen of Swords as well.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There are a lot of good action shows on Amazon Prime, you just have to go through all the original movies and programming.

Highlander the TV series for instance
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Apparently the DVDs are available again. Might be a new company putting them out, that would explain the show being available for streaming again as well.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Amazing series - watched almost every episode. Tia Carrere is one of the sexiest action heroines of all time. Completely under-rated and forgotten. Most of the episodes have some kind of historical basis for whatever MacGuffin she's after, so you learn a bit about history as you go.

My favorite one was the episode about Kahina/Dahiya, the Berber warrior princess (some say she was pagan, others that she was Jewish) who fought against the Muslim invaders. She's basically the North African answer to Boudicca [although they got the facts wrong in the episode, probably to avoid pissing anyone off]. It's the kind of story which deserves a full movie (or at least a comic book series) all to itself, but never got one, probably because the context would be politically incorrect these days.

I am very surprised that she never got a chance at any roles in major action franchises. She could have played a villainess in any of a dozen superhero TV shows in the past decade. Hope she gets a meatier role at some point.

Relic Hunter epitomizes how great 1990s television was for the mainstream version of what we enjoy here on the forum: action, sex and peril.

Note: If the "Heroes and Icons" network is on in your area, you can check out episodes of Relic Hunter every day if you like [for example, in Pittsburgh it's on The CW's second channel, 19.2]. The Action Sunday programming block debuted on February 9, 2020 featuring Adventures of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Sheena, Relic Hunter, Mutant X, Beastmaster, Highlander and War of the Worlds.
Last edited by shevek 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hope she gets a meatier role at some point.
Yeah that's what happened to her. Kind of hulked out in a bad way.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
4 years ago
Amazing series - watched almost every episode. Tia Carrere is one of the sexiest action heroines of all time. Completely under-rated and forgotten. Most of the episodes have some kind of historical basis for whatever MacGuffin she's after, so you learn a bit about history as you go.

My favorite one was the episode about Kahina/Dahiya, the Berber warrior princess (some say she was pagan, others that she was Jewish) who fought against the Muslim invaders. She's basically the North African answer to Boudicca [although they got the facts wrong in the episode, probably to avoid pissing anyone off]. It's the kind of story which deserves a full movie (or at least a comic book series) all to itself, but never got one, probably because the context would be politically incorrect these days.

I am very surprised that she never got a chance at any roles in major action franchises. She could have played a villainess in any of a dozen superhero TV shows in the past decade. Hope she gets a meatier role at some point.

Relic Hunter epitomizes how great 1990s television was for the mainstream version of what we enjoy here on the forum: action, sex and peril.

Note: If the "Heroes and Icons" network is on in your area, you can check out episodes of Relic Hunter every day if you like [for example, in Pittsburgh it's on The CW's second channel, 19.2]. The Action Sunday programming block debuted on February 9, 2020 featuring Adventures of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Sheena, Relic Hunter, Mutant X, Beastmaster, Highlander and War of the Worlds.
For a short time , It was on one of the secondary channels in my area. Then the station went under. Two bad with all the useless stations you get on basic cable
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Tia Carrere appeared on The A-Team and was rumored to become a regular, but couldn't get out of her contract.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Visitor wrote:
4 years ago
Tia Carrere appeared on The A-Team and was rumored to become a regular, but couldn't get out of her contract.
At 53 years old, she appeared as the eyepatched lead villainess Lady Danger in the past year in a season of Netflix's 'AJ and the Queen' opposite RuPaul. It was cancelled rather quickly.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Love the sound of “Lady Danger” as a sexy villain played by Tia. Unfortunately, the show sounds like a waste. Wouldn’t mind watching her trying to break a pretty little thing like Stargirl or Sabrina spellman in some suitably medieval fashion... She would also make a suitable replacement for Lady Felina in an o-girl reboot...
DrMabuse
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I loved Relic Hunter, part of a bonanza of great action/adventure shows that appeared in syndication after the success of Hercules/Xena. Someone may have mentioned already, but I notice that The Lost World (with DiD superstar Jennifer O'Dell) is also on Prime now.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Loved Jen O Dell
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert

tallyho wrote:
4 years ago
Loved Jen O Dell
Yeah, you and every single other male on planet earth!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lost World was weird. They simply replaced the whole cast with other actors in the last season.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

I liked the brunette in lost world, she was pretty rocking on her own. She had the hot Victorian/steampunk vibe. It is is hard to shine when standing next to a blond in miniskirt and crop top. She was looking rather fetching in ye’ olde death trap in Max Knight Ultraspy (really on one of the worst tv spy movies ever made).