Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Heroineaddicted
Sargeant
Sargeant

2nd trailer of Across the Spider-verse, which finally comes out in June 2 after some delays.
https://youtu.be/shW9i6k8cB0
Just a man who loves powerful ladies in skintight spandex. Tight is right.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Am I the only one who looks at this trailer and gets a little exhausted just looking at it? It's sooooooooo visually noisy, and makes it sort of look like the ENTIRE FILM is gonna be noisy like this. I prefer a fair helping of intelligibility to my films and this trailer is UNintelligible to me.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

You have so many Spider-Persons and we all know they love to talk. :)
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Intrigued by the interpretation that Spider-Gwen is transgender. There are no accidents in animation, and to paraphrase one of the commenters, if she's not trans, she's definitely the most trans-coded cis character, possibly ever.
Heroineaddicted
Sargeant
Sargeant

I just saw the movie on Friday & it's 10/10 for me. Part 2 is coming in March of next year & I'm impatient of course.
Just a man who loves powerful ladies in skintight spandex. Tight is right.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dogfish wrote:
9 months ago

Intrigued by the interpretation that Spider-Gwen is transgender. There are no accidents in animation, and to paraphrase one of the commenters, if she's not trans, she's definitely the most trans-coded cis character, possibly ever.
Spider-Gwen is not trans. However, she has been canonized as bisexual in the comics. Zoomers seem fine with that. I constantly see Spider-Gwen cosplays (she's very easy - just buy the tight suit and put it on). Even the wise father of our youngest actress, who is zoomer-aged, told me yesterday
that she has definitely identified as bisexual, and he's fine with it.

I mean, why wouldn't a woman want to have sex with another woman, in between having sex with men? There's so little downside.

Related: Gwenpool, the Heather Antos self-insert fourth-wall breaking character, is asexual (or technically, 'ace grey'). Although Heather herself is not. That character is just written too goofy all the time to be thought of as a romantic partner, so it makes sense, like Alfred E. Neuman.

Back to Gwen in the Spider-Verse: this scene is "coded" but not subtly, as the Twitter poster said. The whole thing is colored like the trans flag, and I saw plenty of those flags when I walked through the Pride Parade crowd gathering near the Comicon on Saturday.

The point is to show "allyship". If you see transgirls (i.e. younger autogynes) cosplaying as Spider-Gwen at Comicons (I haven't, yet) then you know the allyship is working, because that is the age demographic the movie is trying to reach.

That's what "bisexual lighting" (the relentess application of pastel colors, mostly pinks, blues and purples) does, in general, both in films and in comics. It alludes to the allyship of the creators, as well as alerting the readers to the presence of an alphabet character or situation.

-
-
Last edited by shevek 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
9 months ago
Oh well, blue balls for Miles.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Gwen as Bi works out perfect and Shevek is right, she gets the best of both worlds, never got the trans vibe from her but bi/lez....totally!!! (Plus we cosplay the various spider chics and will be at Baltimore con in Sept!!! Look for us!!
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
9 months ago
Dogfish wrote:
9 months ago
Oh well, blue balls for Miles.
Blue balls all around I guess.
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

The hiding of ones identity and then coming out to family/friends seems coded as hell, but that's been there since they decided for secret identities.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

What's more disturbing is the cheapness of multiverse story telling. Miles doesn't simply get his own story. Everyone gets invited to his story. Multiverse means nothing has meaning. No character has meaning. No conflict has meaning.
SHL
Producer
Producer

I hope Gwen is trans in the film

Loved the film
Can’t wait for the next one
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Mr. X wrote:
9 months ago
What's more disturbing is the cheapness of multiverse story telling. Miles doesn't simply get his own story. Everyone gets invited to his story. Multiverse means nothing has meaning. No character has meaning. No conflict has meaning.
Just saw the movie and I disagree strongly with this. Spider-verse did a good job of avoiding the problem most multiverse stories face by giving grounded stakes. Yes, there's the question of whether they'll save the multiverse, but the actual interpersonal stuff plays into it just as much if not more so.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

'Into the Spider-Verse' has the advantage of being an ENCLOSED system with it's own 'internal' multiverse specific to, and tailored for, the narrative of the story they specifically want to tell. In that sense it's NOT a multiverse... it's just the universe of the film.

MY problem with this sequel is that the trailer made me feel like I was tripping on acid with all the colors and shapes... if the WHOLE FILM is gonna be that way I won't be able to watch it. I need SOME visual stability if I'm going to invest my attention in a thing and that trailer was ALL OVER THE PLACE... I almost feel the trailer needed a seizure warning!

Anyone here know if the film really IS all like that or if the trailer was overselling it?
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Femina wrote:
9 months ago
'Into the Spider-Verse' has the advantage of being an ENCLOSED system with it's own 'internal' multiverse specific to, and tailored for, the narrative of the story they specifically want to tell. In that sense it's NOT a multiverse... it's just the universe of the film.

MY problem with this sequel is that the trailer made me feel like I was tripping on acid with all the colors and shapes... if the WHOLE FILM is gonna be that way I won't be able to watch it. I need SOME visual stability if I'm going to invest my attention in a thing and that trailer was ALL OVER THE PLACE... I almost feel the trailer needed a seizure warning!

Anyone here know if the film really IS all like that or if the trailer was overselling it?
I wouldn't say the whole movie is like that, but a considerable chunk of the Spider-Man parts are like that. It's a very visually busy movie, I would consider that a strength especially for characters like Vulture and Spider-Punk who have very distinct styles of animation from everyone else, but if that really is jarring for you I don't know that I would recommend it.

I honestly would put it at like an 9/10, the volume mixing for the dialogue was a little fucked in some scenes which is apparently an issue a lot of theatres had because they ignored the guidelines provided by the sound director. Also there were some bits that felt a bit contrived to appeal to a younger audience. But those are minor gripes for what has probably been my most positive superhero movie experience since Avengers Endgame.