Moon Knight (Marvel/Disney, 2022)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Debuts March 30. Already supposedly the most-watched Marvel TV series trailer ever on Youtube...
First time introducing a character which has never been in an MCU film yet.
Already struck by tragedy as actor Gaspard Ulliel (Midnight Man) died in a skiing accident.
Costume looks amazing.

Will this restore your faith in the MCU?

Will we see Midnight Man's son Jeff Wilde (also known as Midnight, future sidekick of Moon Knight) in this first season or will he be saved for later on?

Last edited by shevek 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Damselbinder

God help me

This actually looks interesting
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I watched the first episode, and that one was a total dud.

The problem is that it's instantly obvious what's going on - to everyone but the protagonist. He's totally in denial. Stephen Grant is a mild-mannered, totally useless museum gift shop clerk who's been having blackouts and waking up in strange places. Obviously, he's been fighting crime in his sleep. We don't see when the hero personality Marc Spector is in control, they just jump cut from Spector starting to take over to Stephen waking back up in the aftermath of some awesome action scene we didn't get to see.

This has the effect of making the story go absolutely nowhere, as the cowardly and passive "protagonist" Stephen tries to run away from the plot and hide at every opportunity. We don't get to see the good stuff, or even get a good idea of what Spector/Moon Knight is trying to do. We don't even get back story to explain how Stephen/Mark wound up in this situation.

There's also some kind of a cult, probably evil, though it is hard to trust the narrative here. It's led by Ethan Hawke doing his best Kevin Bacon.

The show is fixable, Oscar Isaacs is great, and the bits of Marc Spector that we see are pretty awesome. But on the other hand, who fucking cares? They've already taken away an hour of my life I'll never get back, and completely annoyed me in the bargain.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heaven forefend a show take its time to build toward something instead of just blasting its load prematurely.

I've got the opposite take. The first episode was pretty great! So what if its obvious to the audience what's going on? It's the year 2022 with late stage internet access... you want originality find a way to fly to Alpha Centauri, the rest of it is stuff is just here to keep us entertained and sane in an ever more complicated world.

What we got in episode 1 was a very well paced psychological thriller that builds towards the tease of what we can expect later in the series. The second episode on the other hand is honestly a little goofy and tonally off... but its clear we've already pulled the wool back on what we already knew anyway.
vnv7272
Sargeant
Sargeant

Trying to watch this stoned is a nightmare.
shevek
Producer
Producer

So I'm watching Episode 2 of Moon Knight, and I'm wondering, "Exactly who is this Layla El-Faouly person? I don't remember such a name from the comics at all." Turns out that Egyptian showrunner Mohamed Diab and his writing crew (including head writer Jeremy Slater) completely erased Marc Spector's long-running love interest in the comics, Marlene Alraune (who appeared in 202 issues!!) and replaced her with Layla. Layla is now also retconned as the daughter of Abdullah El-Faouly (an Easter Egg reference for Abdul Faoul, the villainous Scarlet Scarab from Captain America and Invaders titles).
shevek
Producer
Producer

Turns out the only episode of Moon Knight you'll need to watch is the last one, and because the story is so "goofy" (as Femina said) you may just want to concentrate on the superheroine aspect:
Spoiler
Layla becomes the Scarlet Scarab. She's somewhat cute in the costume but it's definitely carefully utilitarian: she gets to keep her regular Egyptian curly hair (no mask? no headdress? no alluring Egyptian kohl makeup? this is praised in some articles for its authenticity), the outfit is deliberately loose fitting, and she wears a strategically placed loincloth which never flaps about.
Why does a scarab have golden wings, instead of some kind of shell/carapace? I dunno - ask the costume designer.

There is, of course, the obligatory "representation moment", where a young girl briefly marvels at the fact that there's an "Egyptian superhero". I wish there was a powerful transformation sequence like you'd find in "O Mighty Isis", but there isn't. Layla just suddenly appears wearing the costume after a short sequence where the goddess Taweret takes over her body. And then she's in the costume for the rest of the episode. Lots of quick-cut combat moments and feats of empowering strength, and no peril whatsoever - Layla comes right out of the gate eminently skilled with her powers and never falters. She also seems to know the ancient Egyptian words needed to chant a spell against the evil goddess Ammit.

Ah well - as kindergarten teachers are wont to say, "you get what you get, and you don't get upset." I don't think she'll get to keep her powers in any future installments (if she even appears in them) but we'll see. Here are some stills.
silver scarab 1.jpg
silver scarab 1.jpg (65.28 KiB) Viewed 545 times
silver scarab 2.jpg
silver scarab 2.jpg (139.22 KiB) Viewed 545 times
silver scarab egyptian superhero.jpg
silver scarab egyptian superhero.jpg (100.21 KiB) Viewed 545 times
silver scarab 3.jpg
silver scarab 3.jpg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 545 times
Hey, at least this thread now has some superheroine content.