Legends of Tomorrow - Season 5

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The best part of the Legends is no matter how dire the situation, the Legends don't take things seriously. So what better way to start the season with them all back to make an all access documentary. Even better they manage to slip in digs at current politics with their emphasis on being transparent just like Trump with similar results.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/leg ... 55162.html

So in order to keep getting funded from Congress, the former Time Bureau leader, Ava Sharpe, offers to have a film crew travel with the Legends. So while waiting for the Crossover Crisis Legends to return, the ones that got left behind explained what happened and prepare a welcome back party. Constantine and his apprentice Gary go after a demon possessed human, Mona acting as Mick Rory's agent for his literary works, Ava Sharpe trying to keep things together waiting for Sara Lance, Nora off being fairy godmother to mostly children, Charlie off somewhere in time, and Nate and Behard (Zari's brother) hanging around. Unlike the Crossover, no matter how many characters the show manages to use them all.

This season is dealing with worst villains coming back from the dead all through time. The first up is Rasputin who was hard to kill the first time. But stay until the episode's end to see how the documentary is received by an audience with the Legends appearing at the premiere.

"Orange juice or lemonade?" - Mona
"Alcohol." Mick Rory
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The major difference between the Legends and the other Arrow'verse shows is the Legends come from so many different backgrounds from heroes to villains that they can make decisions that you won't see on other shows. As they fight the second Encore and try to stop the villain that released them, this time they are mostly in 1947 Los Angeles/Burbank after Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel. You get to see the whole spectrum in both the Legends and the people they are interacting with as they try to resolve the situation. Lots of twists as they try to help people and resolve the situation.

Then there is the B-story of Nate trying to find his lost love after HeyWorld separated them. A look at family, lies, and revealing the truth. Great digs at the Internet influencers.

It would be too many spoilers to say more and if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I'm just happy to see they got rid of Gary and Mona.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Episode 7 - "Mr/ Parker's Cul-De-Sac"

Pretty much a comedy of errors as the latest Encore is Damian Darhk reuniting with his daughter Nora on date night. You won't see these problems and solutions on the other shows.
Spoiler
Parody of "Mister Roger's Neighborhood" as first entertainment and then to resolve team problems.

Nora juggling plates as she tries to hide the truth from her father and keep him from killing all the Legends and keep them from killing her father. As the lies pile up it just keeps getting funnier.

Charlie trying to keep Constantine from gathering the pieces of the Loom of Fate after she had broken it.

Rory dealing with an Internet troll that's trashing his books with help from influencer Zari. His solution to the problem is so great.
Spoiler
Men in Black forgetfulness.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Episode 8 - "Romeo v Juliet: Dawn of Justness

Only the Legends could have so much fun waiting for the bathroom and there is only one for the entire crew. Then on to Shakespeare and why Rory Mick prefers "King Lear" than the Italian stuff. Something that hasn't been mentioned since I think season 2, Mick's childhood and why he doesn't want to be a father.

Recap:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dcs ... 15477.html
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I still watch the show since they have a decent episode here and there. I really loved the horror/slasher episode (5 or 6), that was thrilling and funny.
The last one, episode 8 had some funny moments, but 90% was rather a snoozefest with .....endlessssssssssss...... "Let's talk about our feelings" scenes.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I still like it, but I consider it more as an action comedy show than a superhero flick nowadays.

shevek
Producer
Producer

The most recent episode (Romeo vs Juliet - Dawn of Justness) where Ray spends the entire time working up the nerve to end his
bromance with Nate was mostly a big waste of time.

And unfortunately, Gary and Mona have *not* left the scene - they're both still around!

Occasionally, the comedy elements hit the jackpot, though, so I'll keep peeping in on it.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Zari has gotten hotter this season. I wish they could find a way to get her to wear the classic Isis miniskirt, like probably in an adventure in ancient Egypt. 😅

shevek
Producer
Producer

brdiy wrote:
4 years ago
Zari has gotten hotter this season. I wish they could find a way to get her to wear the classic Isis miniskirt, like probably in an adventure in ancient Egypt. 😅
Agreed! I think that they gave up on trying to present her as the "Muslim" character and instead went with a persona that I'm betting Tala Ashrafi knows at least something about. She's not from Los Angeles herself, but I'm sure she is quite familiar with the spoiled Persian Princesses of Tehrangeles, and she is playing the role to the tee, even as the actor playing her brother Behrad is the quintessential stoner/surfer dude, and the actors playing her parents are the prim and proper professional "Mummy and Daddy" spoiling their kids from their Beverly Hills mini-mansion.

This is especially good if, like you said, it leads to a loosening of the self-restriction of portraying and calling a character "Isis" on the TV show (after all, didn't our president 'defeat' that organization once and for all?). For a comparison, the transformation of Erica Durance/Lois to the Isis persona on Smallville was one of the most beautiful moments in all of TV superheroinedom. (And of course, Erica came back to play Superman's mother in this year's crossover). For those who have never seen it, here it is:

And Tala looks a lot more like a naturally complexioned 'Isis' than Durance does. Imagine if Zari would undergo the same transformation? Life would become that much better!

But yes, an adventure in Egypt (or even just an acknowledgement that the amulet itself is directly tied to the goddess, instead of
just a random elemental power trinket that was a ripoff of a MacGuffin from Raiders of the Lost Ark) would be the perfect excuse to reveal just such a gorgeous costume.

And in a sad moment, Brandon Routh officially announced his goodbyes!

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I agree with the sentiments above regarding Zari. It's as if they used the crisis crossover thing as an excuse to rewrite the character. That enormous chip on Zara's shoulder that she wore like a plate of armor all throughout last season is gone, and in her place is someone lighter and with less angst. I do miss previous season Zari's feistiness however. Overall though, I think this season's version is preferable to the previous version.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Zari changed as a result of Heyworld rewriting the time stream. Much better character with this version and more humor with how being an influencer gives her useful skills working with the Legends.

Now with Ray Palmer leaving the Waverider, there are only two first season characters left: Sara Lance and Mick Rory. No other Arrowverse show has had that kind of turnover and can still keep going.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Has anybody watched the latest two episodes?

Current plot involves the Legends racing against the deadly Fates to recover the pieces of the Loom which controls human destiny.. which they now need to bring back both Astra's mother and two members of the team.

Zari's new incarnation continues to look beautiful, and she is gathering her confidence as a team member, teaming up with Constantine and re-discovering her air powers. The best segment involves her dressed up as Cleopatra with a lovely wig and sexy bare shoulders. They've dropped the Muslim pretense entirely, which is great, but for some reason they had to inject the random phrase "third-wave feminist superhero" into the dialogue. Yup, that's actually a line that the Zari character says! Otherwise than that, she's a fun actress to watch.

The new supervillainesses are Atropos (the Fate who cuts the life cord) and Enchantress.

Atropos wears a tight red-leather costume which is kind of attractive but her appeal is rather reduced by her murderously taciturn demeanor - it's kind of like watching a cold and calculating female Romulan commander. She does get a lot of screen time, but the acting is rather wooden.

Meanwhile, Enchantress appears only in a couple scenes as a facilitator to move the plot along. You would think that would be an exciting development seeing this character's debut in the CW DC universe but it's quite underwhelming - she does her patented magical transformation, but the costume is underwhelming - kind of a generic green-leather dress which they don't show much of.
No witch's hat, no puffy sleeves, no green tights and boots - nothing that really represents the distinctiveness of the character of the comics. Not to mention that she looks nothing at all like June Moone, and we'll leave it at that - you can find out for yourself.

The whole plot is just so-so and not every motivational, and still depends a lot on the appearances of an appropriately diverse selection of random historical figures to hold the viewers' interest. It feels like they're just marking time til the end of the season.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

When I saw that the opening scene was set in ancient Egypt, I was kinda hoping that my wish regarding Zari would be granted. Not this time, though. :(

shevek
Producer
Producer

brdiy wrote:
4 years ago
When I saw that the opening scene was set in ancient Egypt, I was kinda hoping that my wish regarding Zari would be granted. Not this time, though. :(
If you mean an "O Mighty Isis" transformation, it will never happen. Her use of the air totem is but a weak vestige of the amazing powers that Isis would have. They simply did not want to call her Isis in the TV show, and they went so far as establishing her ancestry as Persian to further indicate that it would never happen, teasing the viewers with the Isis Halloween costume and everything. So cruel! :)

However, the good news is that it looks like Isis will appear in the Black Adam movie (how could she not!!), so you'll just have to wait for that for the zephyr winds to blow on high. Or, you could order Heroineburgh Episode 10, where our character Jinniyya (the Arabic spirit of the winds) directly quotes from a bit of the old Joanna Cameron dialogue. :)
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

shevek wrote:
4 years ago
brdiy wrote:
4 years ago
If you mean an "O Mighty Isis" transformation, it will never happen. Her use of the air totem is but a weak vestige of the amazing powers that Isis would have. They simply did not want to call her Isis in the TV show, and they went so far as establishing her ancestry as Persian to further indicate that it would never happen, teasing the viewers with the Isis Halloween costume and everything. So cruel! :)

However, the good news is that it looks like Isis will appear in the Black Adam movie (how could she not!!), so you'll just have to wait for that for the zephyr winds to blow on high. Or, you could order Heroineburgh Episode 10, where our character Jinniyya (the Arabic spirit of the winds) directly quotes from a bit of the old Joanna Cameron dialogue. :)
Not the transformation (that's even more of a long shot), but the costume, at least. No need to call her Isis, even. But they've even changed the look of the totem (from a pendant to a bracelet), so I doubt that's even in the cards now, sadly.

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Episode 11 - "Ship Broken"

Mick tries to bond with his daughter. The things they have in common …. Well she was impressed with all the loot he's stolen that funds operations. It almost makes up for not getting to explore the time ship.

The rest of it was just silly, but it makes sense if you remember:
"We're idiots." - Mick Rory

Some decent lines about Gary's emotional support dog. Then there's his new one at the end with another movie reference. :)
"You brought a kid on the ship … and a dog!" - Sara Lance
"He's a rescue." - Gary
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I forgot to mention the dig at Disney where Rory's daughter compared his treasure room to Scrooge McDuck's place. Treasure strewn all over the room with piles of coins on the floor.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Obviously the show isn't going to win any Emmys anytime soon, but I do believe that it is a fun little show. To me, this show perfectly encapsulates what a spinoff should be, that it has some Superheroish elements from Arrow and the Flash, but Legends is its own unique thing, and I enjoy the lighter and more humorous tone of the series. Not every show and every minute on the CW has to be life or death drama, saving the world every single minute, going from crisis to crisis. This is not to critique the tone of Arrow, Flash, or even the creatively challenged Supergirl, but I do find it refreshing to watch an adventurous light hour with the Legends. With every darkness that comes, we need the light as well.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/leg ... 17856.html

To boldly go where no Legend has gone before, the Legends get scattered through television series. Because if you want to mock things, then there aren't better places than Star Trek and Downtown Abbey.

Check out the photographs from the May 26 episode to see in the background women and men showing off their legs mocking the short hemline uniforms women had on the original Star Trek series.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

When I saw the previews from last week regarding this week's episode I laughed out loud. This sounds like it could be a very funny and entertaining episode. I look forward to checking it out on my DVR tomorrow night.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
4 years ago
Obviously the show isn't going to win any Emmys anytime soon, but I do believe that it is a fun little show. To me, this show perfectly encapsulates what a spinoff should be, that it has some Superheroish elements from Arrow and the Flash, but Legends is its own unique thing, and I enjoy the lighter and more humorous tone of the series. Not every show and every minute on the CW has to be life or death drama, saving the world every single minute, going from crisis to crisis. This is not to critique the tone of Arrow, Flash, or even the creatively challenged Supergirl, but I do find it refreshing to watch an adventurous light hour with the Legends. With every darkness that comes, we need the light as well.
I don't think Flash and Supergirl are dark. They have some drama but use a lot of humorous scenes to brighten things up.
Arrow is/was pretty dark and comes the closest to the dark atmosphere in Batwoman.

-
Saw episode 13 with the zombies, well at least that was mildly entertaining.
I like that they mock so many other TV shows/movies....but for a comedy it's not funny enough in my opinion, and I am normally easily to entertain.
Don't know if I would watch it anymore if it wasn't a part of the Arrowverse.
The quality of the episodes is ranging from boring/annoying (the musical episode for example) to really interesting/entertaining (the halloween/slasher episode).
Each new episode is a new ?, don't know any other TV show that has such a wide range.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So many TV shows, movies, and literature references mocked as they go boldly where no other show has gone before. You wouldn't see this elsewhere as they do it Legend style:
Parodies of Orwell's 1984 with rewriting history, Friends, Downtown Abbey, Star Trek, and Mister Roger's Neighborhood.Mentions of Spartacus, Arrow, the Crossover, Citizen Kane, and The Matrix slipped into the plots.

They did a great impression of William Shatner's Kirk and a poor one of Leonard Nimoy's Spock. The Star Trek command uniforms golden is a little green. But they did a good job of capturing the styles of the shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Visitor wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/leg ... 17856.html

Check out the photographs from the May 26 episode to see in the background women and men showing off their legs mocking the short hemline uniforms women had on the original Star Trek series.
Frankly, this is only the beginning of enough blatant virtue signaling in this episode to choke an elephant. It seems like they're thinking about how to "subvert the patriarchy" in almost every scene.

Luckily, the premise is entertaining enough to overcome this (except for the annoying musical interlude during the Mister Rogers
parody, which hearkens back to an earlier episode where that show was first introduced).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I remember star trek one men were walking around in blue uniforms that were dress like with bare legs. If these people think they are being cutting edge they are decades late to the party.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
I remember star trek one men were walking around in blue uniforms that were dress like with bare legs. If these people think they are being cutting edge they are decades late to the party.
I believe the ST Next Generation pilot featured men in skirts, but was never used again. :)

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Spoilers for the end of season 5 and the start of season 6 in the link:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/leg ... 05662.html

Well all the twists are over until the 2021 return. Lots of fun fight scenes where the set was lit so we could see the action. Best part was the Hall of Bad Ideas and whether Bad Ideas could be good things. Then there were all the little bits that are truly Legends like finding the Waverider using a fob.

It was a bit hard to hear the lyrics of the final punk song about Mr. Parker's Cul-de-sac and all the dialogue between the Legends.