Thai and other non-English superheroine tv shows

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
ricky1989 wrote:
1 year ago
Are some episodes of this shows on YouTube?
Kiss of Justice is known as จุมพิตพยัคฆ์สาว. There are a few episodes on Dailymotion under the name Chumphit.

Hidden Tiger Claw is known as រឿង ខ្លាញីលាក់ក្រចក. There's some episodes on YT but they aren't in a very watchable state.

Red Terminator is known as ดูละครธิดาพญายม. There are are few short clips on YT.

R5
Thanks
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
ricky1989 wrote:
1 year ago
Are some episodes of this shows on YouTube?
Kiss of Justice is known as จุมพิตพยัคฆ์สาว. There are a few episodes on Dailymotion under the name Chumphit.

Hidden Tiger Claw is known as រឿង ខ្លាញីលាក់ក្រចក. There's some episodes on YT but they aren't in a very watchable state.

Red Terminator is known as ดูละครธิดาพญายม. There are are few short clips on YT.

R5
Thanks
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Incoming movie SRI ASIH ... from a very old comic book (first issue in 1954 !)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ry5I4QPBo
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Allegedly, the first sneak pics of the new Jane De Leon costume for Darna, as yet not officially fully revealed.
wp-1656310384093.jpg
wp-1656310384093.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 11773 times
wp-1656310384103.jpg
wp-1656310384103.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 11773 times
wp-1656310384112.jpg
wp-1656310384112.jpg (50.42 KiB) Viewed 11773 times

R5
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
Allegedly, the first sneak pics of the new Jane De Leon costume for Darna, as yet not officially fully revealed.

wp-1656310384093.jpgwp-1656310384103.jpgwp-1656310384112.jpg

R5
Ugh, she looks like they gave her platforms… I don’t know why the keep giving heroines impractical shoes…
shzam
Henchman
Henchman

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
five_red wrote:
1 year ago

wp-1656310384093.jpgwp-1656310384103.jpgwp-1656310384112.jpg

R5
Ugh, she looks like they gave her platforms… I don’t know why the keep giving heroines impractical shoes…
Full trailer later tonight so we'll see...
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
I believe it is a very high wedge heel, high at the back and low at the front. Although some of the green screen shots suggest they magically transform into flats during the action sequences, just like Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman boots.

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Here's the trailer. Though the costume is still a bit of mystery, except for the fuzzy behind the scene shots, that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxckpnBPZLU
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
shevek
Producer
Producer

helstar wrote:
1 year ago
Incoming movie SRI ASIH ... from a very old comic book (first issue in 1954 !)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ry5I4QPBo
To get hyped for the Sri Asih movie, you can check out the Sri Asih webtoon which has been running since early 2020.
Unfortunately, it's all in Bahasa, so following the dialogue portions of the story may be difficult, but when she explodes into action,
the images are fairly straightforward.

Here are the links for the first time that Nani transforms into Sri Asih in episodes 3 and 4, and her first battle (against ordinary
citizens possessed by demons).

What a beautiful, tight costume for the updated version of this classic Indonesian superheroine, created by the Stan Lee of Indonesian comics, R.A. Kosasih. One can only hope that costume in the movie is this good.

https://www.webtoons.com/id/fantasy/sri ... isode_no=3

https://www.webtoons.com/id/fantasy/sri ... isode_no=4
sri asih.jpg
sri asih.jpg (744.26 KiB) Viewed 11609 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Just wanted to add: we are now regularly working with a very talented Indonesian actress (also a singer/musician, model, and radio announcer) named Jessica. In Heroineburgh, we have added her excellent invocation of the Southeast Asian "Naga goddess" persona to our supervillainess character, Serpenta. It's the same sexy "snake goddess" trope that you see in a lot of the Asian superhero shows, such as Naagkanya (the snake woman) or Darna's archenenemy Valentina (the snake woman).

Jessica is very aware of the history of Sri Asih, and is excited about the new movie coming out, as well as Darna.

She grew up watching the Saras 008 superheroine TV show in Indonesia, and is putting a lot of that campy goodness found in Filipino, Thai and Indonesian superhero shows into her snake-goddess persona.

Beware the venomous bite of Serpenta....once she sinks her teeth into your flesh, you will become her mental slave!
beware the bite of serpenta.jpg
beware the bite of serpenta.jpg (157.68 KiB) Viewed 11557 times
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Jeepney TV is keeping releasing Komiks chapters on youtube, and on August 10 they will publish Lightning Roda and Kapitan Aksyon

I am gonna bet they will also release in the upcoming days Alpha Omega Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... rIDwx2ASRS
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

helstar wrote:
1 year ago
Jeepney TV is keeping releasing Komiks chapters on youtube, and on August 10 they will publish Lightning Roda and Kapitan Aksyon

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... rIDwx2ASRS
They've also put up all eight episodes of ABS-CBN's Volta, if that's the kind of thing anyone's into.

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

NOPE .... big pass :D
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

helstar wrote:
1 year ago
Tomorrow... best Komiks episode by far ! :thumbup:

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Not so much a superheroine as a supervillain: Komiks Presents Valentina (Darna's arch enemy gets her own tv special.)

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Published today the first (of the two) episodes of D'Supers

shevek
Producer
Producer

helstar wrote:
1 year ago
Published today the first (of the two) episodes of D'Supers
Wow, that was completely frontloaded with an action fight where, if you wait long enough, you see a brief battle between
two superpowered women - the purple villainess with the huge headress and very unnecessary ribbons everywhere vs. a super-strong flying
heroine apparently named Titania. Titania wins, but you don't see the actual defeated villainess after she's thrown off screen. And then Titania
cries over the apparently death of one of the spandexed heroes.

The entire rest of the episode is soap-opera, mostly about a family of superhero teens (Ays=Ice, and some spider girl) who are in strong disagreement
with their mother (who has earth-shaking abilities) over the public use of their powers. Or something like that.

Hope the 2nd episode is more interesting. Seems like this Wansapanatym stuff is rather hit or miss, especially when it comes to the existence of costumes.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Lots of weird stuff under the Wansapanatym "umbrella", normally I don't even bother to check, but we might have missed some good stuff, before or after I/we need to check more carefully.
This D'Supers I already knew it 'cause I have the (very) low quality downloads from the ABS-CBN website, back in 00s...
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Coming this April. Strictly speaking, not exactly a superhero show, though the main characters are in costume. The female main character as well as the alien villainess are cute though.

This is a live action remake of a Japanese mecha anime from the 70's. From the trailers it looks like a very faithful remake and it seems like the CGI looks good (crossing my fingers).

brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

So I happened to stumble upon this show from 2018 today... :D

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
10 months ago
So I happened to stumble upon this show from 2018 today... :D
It's a movie about a magical bra that turns anyone who wears it into a beautiful superhero. There's no actual superhero action, just comedy about the homely woman who inherits the bra using it to attract a man she's mad about. Kind of like The Nutty Professor, but with a Wonder Woman twist.

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Whoa, this is one of those ''lost'' movies from Philippines... nice find, I hope they release more of them :) (such as some of the lost Darna movies, Elektrika Kasi Eh !, and others...)
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

helstar wrote:
8 months ago
Whoa, this is one of those ''lost'' movies from Philippines... nice find, I hope they release more of them :) (such as some of the lost Darna movies, Elektrika Kasi Eh !, and others...)
The guy who runs the Darna FB group seems to have a copy of Elektrika Kasi Eh! And based on some samples he shared, it's in good shape, too! I hope he considers sharing or selling.

I'm really hoping to see Zarda once more. I recall some brief scenes of peril there (though no death traps), but I fear that one is lost now.

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
8 months ago
The guy who runs the Darna FB group seems to have a copy of Elektrika Kasi Eh! And based on some samples he shared, it's in good shape, too! I hope he considers sharing or selling.
Not a hope I'm afraid. He's pretty low-tech. He has the complete Darna 2005 run on VHS cassette -- I messaged him and tried to guide him through the process of getting a basic video digitiser so he could make digital copies, but he just wasn't interested. To be clear: I wasn't begging for copies of the episodes, or even clips, I just wanted him to preserve the recordings he has as we don't know whether GMA still has good quality recordings of the series themselves. You'll note that whenever he posts clips of his own stuff, he frequently points his phone camera at a tv screen -- so he apparently has no understanding or means of making quality recordings digitally.

(FYI, the plastic film that is used inside VHS cassettes -- the thing that the magnetic layer is coated on= -- has a shelf life of around 20 to 30 years depending upon the quality of the brand. It becomes brittle over time and can snap when put under tension inside a VHS player. So his 2005 recordings may be reaching an age when they could no longer be safe to play.)

He appears to have a colour clips of the Pinky Montilla Supergirl, although whether these are from an original colour print, or digitally recoloured by someone else (he mentions the clip is courtesy of someone/thing called JJDV), I don't know.

I'm really hoping to see Zarda once more. I recall some brief scenes of peril there (though no death traps), but I fear that one is lost now.
Wander Woman Si Ako with Maria Teresa Carlson would also be interesting to see. It's a Lynda Cater inspired spoof comedy. And... of course... the white whale of rare heroine tv... Super Klenk! :D

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

five_red wrote:
8 months ago

(FYI, the plastic film that is used inside VHS cassettes -- the thing that the magnetic layer is coated on= -- has a shelf life of around 20 to 30 years depending upon the quality of the brand. It becomes brittle over time and can snap when put under tension inside a VHS player. So his 2005 recordings may be reaching an age when they could no longer be safe to play.)
I know what you mean. I know another collector used to have complete recordings of Darna 2005 on VHS also, but by the time he decided to digitize, a lot of episodes have already been corrupted.

In other news, ABS-CBN is now collaborating with GMA. Having lost their franchise, they are shifting to providing content, and a few ABS-CBN productions are now being shown on GMA. Since ABS-CBN currently holds the rights to Darna, I hope this collaboration turns out to be beneficial for us, and somehow allows for the 2005 and 2009 versions to be released on streaming.
He appears to have a colour clips of the Pinky Montilla Supergirl, although whether these are from an original colour print, or digitally recoloured by someone else (he mentions the clip is courtesy of someone/thing called JJDV), I don't know.
Apparently, 2 versions have been released, and there is a colored version of the movie. Not sure if he has the full version or just clips, though.

Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

five_red wrote:
8 months ago

R5

😍😍😍
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
8 months ago
In other news, ABS-CBN is now collaborating with GMA. Having lost their franchise, they are shifting to providing content, and a few ABS-CBN productions are now being shown on GMA. Since ABS-CBN currently holds the rights to Darna, I hope this collaboration turns out to be beneficial for us, and somehow allows for the 2005 and 2009 versions to be released on streaming.
The rights to Darna 2005 and 2009 presumably are held by GMA (as the production company) and the Estate of Mars Ravelo (as the intellectual property owner.) If ABS-CBN has some kind of exclusivity deal with the Estate that guarantees the blocking of old of Darna tv shows -- specifically the GMA shows -- then it would have nothing to benefit from making an exception for the GMA versions. ABS-CBN would presumably not be included in any profit share from the GMA series, so why allow it?

I think the best chance we have is if ABS-CBN does not have an exclusivity clause that blocks the re-release of rival Darna versions while ABS-CBN holds the Darna license. That way GMA would be free to release the 2005 and 2009 series, subject to agreement with Mars Ravelo's estate.

Apparently, 2 versions have been released, and there is a colored version of the movie. Not sure if he has the full version or just clips, though.
Strangely the colour clip posted on YT (and embedded in this thread a few messages back) contains footage that doesn't appear in the supposed "full movie" video. The movie poster for Supergirl touts "Eastman color" -- could it be possible that the colour version of the movie is just the black and white version with a small amount of extra colour footage added in..?

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Well, in all fairness Darna 2009 is easy to find (not top 1080p quality, but still ok...).

On the other hand, Darna 2005, in good quality, not really easy (and I really prefer that one to the 2009 version) :confused:
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

helstar wrote:
8 months ago
Well, in all fairness Darna 2009 is easy to find (not top 1080p quality, but still ok...).

On the other hand, Darna 2005, in good quality, not really easy (and I really prefer that one to the 2009 version) :confused:
In this age of streaming, let's just hope the Ravelo estate realizes the demand for the old series and consider this when they renegotiate the rights to their character.

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

helstar wrote:
8 months ago
The annoying thing is that the Darna 2005 videos circulating online come from a source who's a really good online friend of mine, and possibly a friend of a few people here too. The reason why the episodes are so corrupted is that they came off of a video laser disc that warped due to extreme heat. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that he chose to share his episodes with other fans, as there's frustratingly no legitimate way to view them otherwise, but the heavy corruption on many episodes makes them almost unwatchable.

Now, there are ways of flattening CDs, DVDs and laser discs if they warp, which requires sandwiching them between two hard smooth surfaces and applying some heavy weights for a few days (internet guides recommend two sheets of plain glass and a pile of bricks, as the glass won't have any 'give' that will cushion the weight.) It's not guaranteed to work 100%, but it can often help. Sadly though the most I've ever been able to get said friend to do (after some nagging on my part, to the verge of where I'm sure he just wanted to shut me up) is put a couple of books on them for two days... which did diddly squat.

Always seems like these rare superheroine shows are just a fraction outside of fingertips reach. So close, yet so far away. :laugh:

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Just got a reply from Solar Films, who claim to be the legal owner of the Pinky Montilla Supergirl movie now. The copy of the movie they have is the black and white one they uploaded to YouTube, but they told me they are now looking for the colour version.

R5
nouserid
Neophyte
Neophyte

five_red wrote:
2 years ago
Electrica: The Chronicle -- low budget pinoy superheroine YT series, with a Mary Marvel vibe.

R5
The videos have been removed. Has anyone saved them before being taken down? Thanks in advance!
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

FYI, if you head over the GMA Network's official YouTube channel,they've started to put episodes of Super Ma'am up with burnt-in English subtitles. Search for Super Ma'am Subs.

R5
shevek
Producer
Producer

nouserid wrote:
6 months ago
five_red wrote:
2 years ago
Electrica: The Chronicle -- low budget pinoy superheroine YT series, with a Mary Marvel vibe.

R5
The videos have been removed. Has anyone saved them before being taken down? Thanks in advance!
The Electrica videos aren't all gone. (Unfortunately, yes it looks like the episodes were removed. Maybe they sold them to a TV network?)
There are two clips on the channel Straight Films. The creation of the character is attributed to one Joel Fabroa, aka JPF Comics.

Here's a music video. It looks great, including the origin. Although they don't show her transforming, or what her secret identity looks like (as an adult). Cute and powerful character, though!

Commentary from two years ago. Apparently it showed in a bunch of Filipino theaters only.
"Sci/Fi Adventure with Love Story and Advocacy on Climate Change."

Here in this trailer from 2018 we do see a bit of the "love story" - the boy who is the love interest, and the secret identity of Electrica as a nerdy girl wearing glasses. No transformation, though. This is from the Facebook page.

Here is another commentary which shows some publicity shots of the actress, the movie audiences, and a lot of shots of the award that the filmmaker received for the film's Advocacy for Climate Change (TM).

shevek
Producer
Producer

shevek wrote:
6 months ago
nouserid wrote:
6 months ago
five_red wrote:
2 years ago

R5
The Electrica videos aren't all gone. (Unfortunately, yes it looks like the episodes were removed. Maybe they sold them to a TV network?)

UPDATE: No they didn't sell the movie to a network. They took the movie down from Youtube because they are taking it around the country
showing it at schools for educational purposes (climate awareness). They get paid each time they show the movie to a school audience!
[I got this information directly from the film's producer.]

There are two clips on the channel Straight Films. The creation of the character is attributed to one Joel Fabroa, aka JPF Comics.

Here's a music video. It looks great, including the origin. Although they don't show her transforming, or what her secret identity looks like (as an adult). Cute and powerful character, though!

Commentary from two years ago. Apparently it showed in a bunch of Filipino theaters only.
"Sci/Fi Adventure with Love Story and Advocacy on Climate Change."

Here in this trailer from 2018 we do see a bit of the "love story" - the boy who is the love interest, and the secret identity of Electrica as a nerdy girl wearing glasses. No transformation, though. This is from the Facebook page.

Here is another commentary which shows some publicity shots of the actress, the movie audiences, and a lot of shots of the award that the filmmaker received for the film's Advocacy for Climate Change (TM).

nouserid
Neophyte
Neophyte

Nice find, shevek! The movie looks fun. Too bad can't travel to the Philippines and watch it. It'd be more ideal (for us who reside outside of the Philippines) if the author could put the movie online and set a geographical filter on it.

BTW, I found a trailer to another "Electrica" by the same director. Maybe a prequel?

shevek
Producer
Producer

nouserid wrote:
6 months ago
Nice find, shevek! The movie looks fun. Too bad can't travel to the Philippines and watch it. It'd be more ideal (for us who reside outside of the Philippines) if the author could put the movie online and set a geographical filter on it.

BTW, I found a trailer to another "Electrica" by the same director. Maybe a prequel?
Yes, I see. It's possibly a prequel because the character is younger and possibly just got her powers and is doing one of her first-ever transformations (the first one we actually get to see - it's not too different than Darna).

I got an answer from the producer about why the Chronicle movie isn't available, so maybe he'll answer me on this question, too!
GWalb
Henchman
Henchman

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... movie+2018

You can simply akip the dance scenes by using the bar at the bottom
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Ultra Violet and Black Scorpion is a 2022 superhero comedy/drama aimed at teens. It ran for 16 episode on Disney Plus. A young girl finds a magic wrestling mask that transforms her into a superheroine whenever she wears it. (Yup, whenever she puts the mask on she is transformed into her full costume, and as soon as the mask is removed she revert back to her everyday clothes and powerless state.)

There are other masks owned by other people, some of them heroes, some villains. She decides to become a crime fighter known as Ultra Violet, and is mentored by a fellow mask owner who goes by the name of Black Scorpion (no, not that Black Scorpion!) The action sequences are what you'd expect from a Disney show aimed at a teen audience.
001.jpg
001.jpg (106.31 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (52.37 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (115.13 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
005.jpg
005.jpg (121.61 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
006.jpg
006.jpg (126.46 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
Because I know a certain person may ask: the final two pics are from a nightmare sequence when one of the heroines is unmasked on live tv.

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

For those interested in Super Klenk: a blog post I wrote with some detective work on airdates and plot synopsis.

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

five_red wrote:
5 months ago
For those interested in Super Klenk: a blog post I wrote with some detective work on airdates and plot synopsis.

R5
Have you tried searching web archives for (the now defunct forum) PinoyExchange.com? There's usually discussion there about various TV shows, foreign or local. The forum was pretty active around that time.

Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Late to the discussion but i think it's good for other countries to get a bite into this superheroine stuff.

Hollywood has done a fine job of mucking it up so maybe a hit from one these countries will wake them up on what sells?
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
5 months ago
Have you tried searching web archives for (the now defunct forum) PinoyExchange.com? There's usually discussion there about various TV shows, foreign or local. The forum was pretty active around that time.
The problem is that the Wayback Machine doesn't take particularly deep copies of sites, so for Pinoy Exchange trying to move beyond the first page of forum posts or read any of the threads usually results in a missing page.

Meanwhile... someone has found a scan of a one-page article from the Manila Bulletin that introduces the show and has more photos of Ara Mina in costume. The article also gives some further cast details -- it is always worth tracking people down to see if they've posted nostalgia stuff to their social media.
sk002.jpg
sk002.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Interesting photos for the most obscure superheroine show ever :)

New show, probably not my cup of tea and not sure if they will post the episodes on youtube, but here's the trailer

sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

helstar wrote:
5 months ago
Interesting photos for the most obscure superheroine show ever :)

New show, probably not my cup of tea and not sure if they will post the episodes on youtube, but here's the trailer

Looks awful. Throw in a lesbian subtext, a ball gag and a pattern cutter and it might be good,
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

First episode: short 'flash-forward' fight sequence at the start, then the origin story of how she got her powers. Looks like episode 2 is when she gets into costume proper.

R5
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

I did find an entire Darna Movie, for those of you interested. It's not in english but does it need to be to watch a costumed superheroine?

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoNngb3QDts&list=PL2gUHp3UWGkcxGok5JsLESH6H_PHRj_Rh&index=2

(I have no idea why the forum these days does not let you link to other websites...Is it a copy right thing?)