Batwoman - Season 1

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Some shows can survive depending upon the replacement at least for awhile.

"Alias Smith and Jones" had to replace Pete Duel when he committed suicide since he was the co-lead star.

Even earlier "Maverick" replaced James Garner when he left in a contract dispute with the studio, but it didn't last too long. But that show was filmed where they wrote scripts and assigned them to whichever actor playing a B. Maverick brother was available with them filming usually two episodes at a time.

"Mission: Impossible" replaced the lead actor after the first season because as an Orthodox Jew he wouldn't work on the Sabbath, so Peter Graves came in for 4 seasons.
Not saying the show is going to get cancel rightaway lol..... some do last quite a bit but most likely than not the recasting will be the reason why a show have its downfall...

but if we look at the numbers (TV Producer and Execs all looks at the numbers) it does not look good beyond Season 2, if you compare it to other CW Superhero series on their first season - Supergirl - 2.4, Flash 1.7 compare to Batwoman's 0.5... In fact I found it strange if they did not cancel it outright, if I am the exec, I wouldn't be bothered to produce it anymore, as you are losing money anywhere lower than 1.2 and 0.5 is VERY low.
Last edited by AvaHeinz 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

You also have the shows not returning until 2021, by then most will have probably forgotten about Batwoman and who was playing her, so starting over with a new face behind the mask probably won't be that difficult.
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

RedMountain wrote:
3 years ago
You also have the shows not returning until 2021, by then most will have probably forgotten about Batwoman and who was playing her, so starting over with a new face behind the mask probably won't be that difficult.
Well, consider the rating, people probably hasn't watched it anyway (I think the average is about 900,000 view on National TV.....)they may even be able to work out a way to reboot the series or even scratch the first season altogether and people may not remember.

However, the problem is the way the series produce and the direction, if they aren't changed, it will be the same regardless who get cast on Kane's role...….It's not the actress who cop the heat on this, it's the show...
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago

"Alias Smith and Jones" had to replace Pete Duel when he committed suicide since he was the co-lead star.

Even earlier "Maverick" replaced James Garner when he left in a contract dispute with the studio, but it didn't last too long. But that show was filmed where they wrote scripts and assigned them to whichever actor playing a B. Maverick brother was available with them filming usually two episodes at a time.

"Mission: Impossible" replaced the lead actor after the first season because as an Orthodox Jew he wouldn't work on the Sabbath, so Peter Graves came in for 4 seasons.
Not saying the show is going to get cancel rightaway lol..... some do last quite a bit but most likely than not the recasting will be the reason why a show have its downfall...

but if we look at the numbers (TV Producer and Execs all looks at the numbers) it does not look good beyond Season 2, if you compare it to other CW Superhero series on their first season - Supergirl - 2.4, Flash 1.7 compare to Batwoman's 0.5... In fact I found it strange if they did not cancel it outright, if I am the exec, I wouldn't be bothered to produce it anymore, as you are losing money anywhere lower than 1.2 and 0.5 is VERY low.
The comparison to other CW shows (you can't really compare the numbers to Supergirl because SG was on CBS in season one, a higher profile network) is I think a bit unfair due to the fact that in this country we have a growing trend of people unplugging and deciding not to get cable or satellite, that the trend for over the last twenty years or so, especially in the last ten or so is that these broadcast networks are hemoraging viewers across the board like crazy, so it's hard to compare network numbers from even 3 to 5 years ago because viewers are flocking broadcast television in droves, that with the exception of some sports, these shows don't nearly draw the numbers they used to, that you almost have to have a sliding scale of sorts, not to compare what a similar show did 5 years ago, but what other shows are doing in the same time slots on the same day is a more of an accurate barometer. You also must keep in mind that SG's and Flash's first seasons were not on Sunday nights like Batwoman, Sunday being the most competitive night of the week here in the U.S. As ridiculous as this sounds, the 0.5 number is relative to what some of other CW shows would be doing in the same day and timeslot.
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago

The comparison to other CW shows (you can't really compare the numbers to Supergirl because SG was on CBS in season one, a higher profile network) is I think a bit unfair due to the fact that in this country we have a growing trend of people unplugging and deciding not to get cable or satellite, that the trend for over the last twenty years or so, especially in the last ten or so is that these broadcast networks are hemoraging viewers like crazy, so it's hard to compare network numbers from even 3 to 5 years ago because viewers are flocking broadcast television in droves, that with the exception of some sports, these shows don't nearly draw the numbers they used to, that you almost have to have a sliding scale of sorts, not to compare what a similar show did 5 years ago, but what other shows are doing in the same time slots on the same day is a more of an accurate barometer. You also must keep in mind that SG's and Flash's first seasons were not on Sunday nights like Batwoman, Sunday being the most competitive night of the week here in the U.S.
Yes, it may not be fair to a fan, but when I say that, I was standing on a TV execs point of view...…..Most thing TV exec do is contrary to what fans want.

For a TV execs, unless you come up with a person who don't mind forking out the money and produce stuff that they don't get paid for. Most TV execs are going to look at the ratings for the barometers. And contrary to mainstream TV Station, for channel like CW, you don't need to look at the "+1+3 or +7" rating because they will all be subscription and not solely rely on adverts. Which mean + whatever is not going to reflect on the subscription (you paid for your subs anyway to access cable TV)

They may change the timeslot but to be fair, it doesn't do much because getting bad rating is one thing, the shows is also getting bad reception as well, with the exception of GLAAD community, I don't see anyone praise the series as anything happened to it. It does not score any award (Supergirl have some nom and win in Teens/Kids Choice, Saturn, while the Flash have some on Teens/Kid Choice even Primetime Emmy) As I said, this is not about the actress, but the show itself.

Within the industry, it's all about money and fact to the matter is.....Batwoman are not making the network any money that worth recasting or even continue production. That is a problem.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago

The comparison to other CW shows (you can't really compare the numbers to Supergirl because SG was on CBS in season one, a higher profile network) is I think a bit unfair due to the fact that in this country we have a growing trend of people unplugging and deciding not to get cable or satellite, that the trend for over the last twenty years or so, especially in the last ten or so is that these broadcast networks are hemoraging viewers like crazy, so it's hard to compare network numbers from even 3 to 5 years ago because viewers are flocking broadcast television in droves, that with the exception of some sports, these shows don't nearly draw the numbers they used to, that you almost have to have a sliding scale of sorts, not to compare what a similar show did 5 years ago, but what other shows are doing in the same time slots on the same day is a more of an accurate barometer. You also must keep in mind that SG's and Flash's first seasons were not on Sunday nights like Batwoman, Sunday being the most competitive night of the week here in the U.S.
Yes, it may not be fair to a fan, but when I say that, I was standing on a TV execs point of view...…..Most thing TV exec do is contrary to what fans want.

For a TV execs, unless you come up with a person who don't mind forking out the money and produce stuff that they don't get paid for. Most TV execs are going to look at the ratings for the barometers. And contrary to mainstream TV Station, for channel like CW, you don't need to look at the "+1+3 or +7" rating because they will all be subscription and not solely rely on adverts. Which mean + whatever is not going to reflect on the subscription (you paid for your subs anyway to access cable TV)

They may change the timeslot but to be fair, it doesn't do much because getting bad rating is one thing, the shows is also getting bad reception as well, with the exception of GLAAD community, I don't see anyone praise the series as anything happened to it. It does not score any award (Supergirl have some nom and win in Teens/Kids Choice, Saturn, while the Flash have some on Teens/Kid Choice even Primetime Emmy) As I said, this is not about the actress, but the show itself.

Within the industry, it's all about money and fact to the matter is.....Batwoman are not making the network any money that worth recasting or even continue production. That is a problem.
After my last post I decided to check out Supergirl's numbers in the same time slot one season earlier which is the fairest way I can think to look at the numbers. Supergirl's numbers are certainly better but not by the country mile that you would think they would be, considering you have an established show with a fan base, not to mention a iconic character with such a rich history plus Melissa Benoist compared to a comparatively unknown heroine. The people who know this stuff a lot better than I do say that the most important number is not total viewers anyway, that the important thing is how these shows do in the targeted yet elusive young demos, and that it is those numbers that these network execs live and die by.
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago

After my last post I decided to check out Supergirl's numbers in the same time slot one season earlier which is the fairest way I can think to look at the numbers. Supergirl's numbers are certainly better but not by the country mile that you would think they would be, considering you have an established show with a fan base, not to mention a iconic character with such a rich history plus Melissa Benoist compared to a comparatively unknown heroine. The people who know this stuff a lot better than I do say that the most important number is not total viewers anyway, that the important thing is how these shows do in the targeted yet elusive young demos, and that it is those numbers that these network execs live and die by.
Well, that is why I quoted rating instead of viewership, however, rating is not at all more important than viewership for calbe show because they are going to sell subs, not ads on the show, for ads, you need to target the elusive 19-48 group (aka spending group) to sell ads, in cable tho, not much, because everyone is paying 19.99/mo.

The problem is, rating seldom goes up as the franchise continue, most TV series goes down in rating as the series stack up, or most of the time remain unchanged with primetime drama. If you look at the first season of supergirl and it is on CBS (that itself would mean something) and even the first series in CW, they still score somewhere about 1.0 but with 3.2 millions average viewership (again, viewership is probably more important if not equally, than rating in Cable), when you look at Batwoman it's around 0.5 and 1.1 millions viewer

Even today, Supergirl still have 1.67 millions average viewer and I can still justify the continuation of the series, althoght it would have been on thin ice, I just can't justify Batwoman, unless for whatever reason they solved everything and series 2 have a bump in both rating and viewership, I don't see it go past season 2.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

Even today, Supergirl still have 1.67 millions average viewer and I can still justify the continuation of the series, althoght it would have been on thin ice, I just can't justify Batwoman, unless for whatever reason they solved everything and series 2 have a bump in both rating and viewership, I don't see it go past season 2.
I don't know where you get these numbers....
Supergirl has an average of 0,837 millions of viewers this season, and Batwoman has 0,995 millions.
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cw-2 ... n-ratings/
And THIS year is interesting, numbers from past years can't be used for many comparisons.
Also as Bob said, you can't compare any numbers from some years back with today's numbers. Not only Supergirl was on a really big network.
The people watch less and less liniear TV, these numbers get less and less important by the month.
And the CW is all about streaming nowadays. They make their money primarly with streaming (CW app and the TV site) and by selling their shows to sites like Netflix and HBO Max.
The CW can't reach as many households as they used to have (they lost broadcasting coverage) and that has lead to quite a decrease in viewer number in all shows as well as the changed habits of the people ...#streaming... this year nearly every show on the CW lost at least 25% in viewers as you can see. And that's not because 25% people doesn't watch the shows anymore....they just do it online.
The CW is very different in comparison to other (bigger) networks.
Last edited by Maskripper 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

"It doesn't matter how good you are. All that matters is the ratings." - The Chief to Maxwell Smart on "Get Smart"

This was back in the late 1960s. Although they were referring to rankings for KAOS agents. :)
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

Well, that is why I quoted rating instead of viewership, however, rating is not at all more important than viewership for calbe show because they are going to sell subs, not ads on the show, for ads, you need to target the elusive 19-48 group (aka spending group) to sell ads, in cable tho, not much, because everyone is paying 19.99/mo.

The problem is, rating seldom goes up as the franchise continue, most TV series goes down in rating as the series stack up, or most of the time remain unchanged with primetime drama. If you look at the first season of supergirl and it is on CBS (that itself would mean something) and even the first series in CW, they still score somewhere about 1.0 but with 3.2 millions average viewership (again, viewership is probably more important if not equally, than rating in Cable), when you look at Batwoman it's around 0.5 and 1.1 millions viewer

It depends upon how much they believe in the show and what they have in the pipeline. Yes, I totally agree with you that as a series gets older there is viewer erosion, but I think the massive viewer erosion that has enveloped all of broadcast television and cable as well has lowered the ratings/success threshold considerably. We are not living in 1985 anymore, and heck we are not living in 2015 anymore either. It's a whole new media landscape nowadays where execs don't sweat a 0.5 if the show has a decent 18 to 34 demographic. Ratings numbers that would have been regarded as a show's death sentence 5 or 10 years ago are now enough to sustain a series and keep it around a while. That is the reality of having 500 channels and a number of thriving streaming services that compete for eyeballs in this competitive media environment. I really cannot fathom you comparing a first year number for a series on CBS to a first year number on the CW. There is a tremendous difference in the reach and viewers of both platforms. CBS is a major broadcast network while the CW is a fledgling fifth network with a lot more weak affiliates then CBS, that CW is only a qualitative sturdy step up from a basic cable station.
Last edited by bushwackerbob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

CW TV shows 2019-2020.png
CW TV shows 2019-2020.png (155.5 KiB) Viewed 5020 times

Since CW won't be comparing Batwoman to other network shows ratings, just to their own shows, they'll keep Batwoman around for Season Two.

And here's their chance to get a way better actress. Shouldn't be hard to do, if they consider all potential actresses and not just actual lesbians.

Maybe we should throw some names out there! I'll start.

Jaime Alexander. Only two years older than Ruby. And she's 5' 9"
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
3 years ago
Maybe we should throw some names out there! I'll start.

Jaime Alexander. Only two years older than Ruby. And she's 5' 9"
I think the actress should be younger.
The profile looks somehow like this:
- a gay actress (the CW wants that)
- circa 20-30 years old
- must be affordable for the CW
- wants to play in a TV show for a long time period (hopefully)
- also she should be caucasion/white (since they can't recast Alice and Jacob to fit to her)
- she should be taller and (even) better trained then Ruby....that would fit even better to a crime fighting vigilante...(in my opinion)

I need to do some serious research before I can pull a name out of the hat.... especially which actresses are actually gay? Is there a list somewhere? :giggle:
-
*EDIT*
I would love to have Kate Beckinsale in that role! One of my all time favorites :love:
OK, she isn't gay....and 20 years too old.....and wouldn't work for a superhero TV show....and would be too expensive......hmh, ok, I guess.....she isn't a candidate :hmmm: ;)

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Dogfish wrote:
3 years ago
In Batwoman they don't manage to tap into a fraction of that screen presence.
I don't think she ever had big screen presence personally. The reason you were hanging on her every word in Wick was her character was a mute. I don't mean that facetiously, I mean you were waiting for her to say something until that was revealed

I've seen her in 3 or 4 films and her character runs the whole gamut of emotions from moody and sullen to sullen and moody. That will only get you so far. I have only seen first two episodes of this... Where she played someone sullen and moody, but in fairness from what the other members have said, she did seem to be showing some range. Not immediately obvious from her film work.
Maybe she found the acting too tough rather than the stunt work.

(I should stress I plan to see the whole series I just haven't yet, it's not down to her.)
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

As its an ACTING role I don't see why they have to have anyone who is gay

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

I don't know where you get these numbers....
Supergirl has an average of 0,837 millions of viewers this season, and Batwoman has 0,995 millions.
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cw-2 ... n-ratings/
And THIS year is interesting, numbers from past years can't be used for many comparisons.
Also as Bob said, you can't compare any numbers from some years back with today's numbers. Not only Supergirl was on a really big network.
The people watch less and less liniear TV, these numbers get less and less important by the month.
And the CW is all about streaming nowadays. They make their money primarly with streaming (CW app and the TV site) and by selling their shows to sites like Netflix and HBO Max.
The CW can't reach as many households as they used to have (they lost broadcasting coverage) and that has lead to quite a decrease in viewer number in all shows as well as the changed habits of the people ...#streaming... this year nearly every show on the CW lost at least 25% in viewers as you can see. And that's not because 25% people doesn't watch the shows anymore....they just do it online.
The CW is very different in comparison to other (bigger) networks.
I quote season 4 ratings because season 5 rating is still fresh (think supergirl series 5 finale just aired 2 days ago?) and they may be adjusted. But that is beside the point, because you are talking about a freshman TV series (Batwoman) and compare it to an ongoing series, usually TV rating hit their best value is when they premier or if they are really popular, the final ever episode. As I said, unless Batwoman have a serious shakedown on the production run, I don't ever see Batwoman can go up in both rating and viewership.

Also another issue for batwoman is that, as I said before, rating can be forgiven but with bad rating coming along with bad reception and accolade, that's like the worse trio in TV business, that is one thing you score bad rating, like people don't stay home and watch TV much (which should not be the case as we are all in COVID-19 lockdown) or even time slot competition or one reason or another it did not perform well when they should, however, there are literally no excuse that it does not score any nod or even a decent reception. That is the problem for batwoman.

I know, for a fan, it's not necessarily good for it, but for execs, those are the number of things they care about. I like a good TV shows as much as the next person, but some show won't survive a recast, especially one that perform badly on both accolade, reception or ratings. But well, things can changes, maybe fans alone can get it over the top and continue producing it, but I doubt that very much....
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago

It depends upon how much they believe in the show and what they have in the pipeline. Yes, I totally agree with you that as a series gets older there is viewer erosion, but I think the massive viewer erosion that has enveloped all of broadcast television and cable as well has lowered the ratings/success threshold considerably. We are not living in 1985 anymore, and heck we are not living in 2015 anymore either. It's a whole new media landscape nowadays where execs don't sweat a 0.5 if the show has a decent 18 to 34 demographic. Ratings numbers that would have been regarded as a show's death sentence 5 or 10 years ago are now enough to sustain a series and keep it around a while. That is the reality of having 500 channels and a number of thriving streaming services that compete for eyeballs in this competitive media environment. I really cannot fathom you comparing a first year number for a series on CBS to a first year number on the CW. There is a tremendous difference in the reach and viewers of both platforms. CBS is a major broadcast network while the CW is a fledgling fifth network with a lot more weak affiliates then CBS, that CW is only a qualitative sturdy step up from a basic cable station.
Well, you are right about one thing, studio don't sweat over rating that much anymore, but they still will if the number is very low. It does not matter if It was on CBS or CW, you still need to pay to get TV series produce, and it cost a lot more than movie these days, so at the end of the day, you still need to justify it with rating and viewership.

Of course, nowadays we have DVR and Streaming, but those revenue aren't exactly much and again, when a new series going to get this kind of number, anyone up there would think, is there are something wrong with the series.

Don't get me wrong, I do not wish to wish ill for Batwoman, in fact, I liked it and I watched it (as it feature fellow Australian Ruby Rose) but the program is a bit not to everyone taste on a already specific genre, and unless something was done. I can only see Batwoman slide down the cliff. and if they (the big exec) are not worry about 0.5, then they probably would when it hit 0.4 or 0.3.But that would be another discussion altogether.
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

Well, you are right about one thing, studio don't sweat over rating that much anymore, but they still will if the number is very low. It does not matter if It was on CBS or CW, you still need to pay to get TV series produce, and it cost a lot more than movie these days, so at the end of the day, you still need to justify it with rating and viewership, I don't think any studio would just green light a series simply because they felt good..

Of course, nowadays we have DVR and Streaming, but those revenue aren't exactly much since the ads package are very different and again, when a new series going to get this kind of number, anyone up there would think, is there are something wrong with the series.

Don't get me wrong, I do not wish to wish ill for Batwoman, in fact, I liked it and I watched it (as it feature fellow Australian Ruby Rose) but the program is a bit not to everyone taste on a already specific genre, and unless something was done. I can only see Batwoman slide down the cliff. and if they (the big exec) are not worry about 0.5, then they probably would when it hit 0.4 or 0.3.But that would be another discussion altogether.
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago

Well, you are right about one thing, studio don't sweat over rating that much anymore, but they still will if the number is very low. It does not matter if It was on CBS or CW, you still need to pay to get TV series produce, and it cost a lot more than movie these days, so at the end of the day, you still need to justify it with rating and viewership, I don't think any studio would just green light a series simply because they felt good..

Of course, nowadays we have DVR and Streaming, but those revenue aren't exactly much since the ads package are very different and again, when a new series going to get this kind of number, anyone up there would think, is there are something wrong with the series.

AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
I quote season 4 ratings because season 5 rating is still fresh (think supergirl series 5 finale just aired 2 days ago?) and they may be adjusted. But that is beside the point, because you are talking about a freshman TV series (Batwoman) and compare it to an ongoing series, usually TV rating hit their best value is when they premier or if they are really popular, the final ever episode. As I said, unless Batwoman have a serious shakedown on the production run, I don't ever see Batwoman can go up in both rating and viewership.

Also another issue for batwoman is that, as I said before, rating can be forgiven but with bad rating coming along with bad reception and accolade, that's like the worse trio in TV business, that is one thing you score bad rating, like people don't stay home and watch TV much (which should not be the case as we are all in COVID-19 lockdown) or even time slot competition or one reason or another it did not perform well when they should, however, there are literally no excuse that it does not score any nod or even a decent reception. That is the problem for batwoman.

I know, for a fan, it's not necessarily good for it, but for execs, those are the number of things they care about. I like a good TV shows as much as the next person, but some show won't survive a recast, especially one that perform badly on both accolade, reception or ratings. But well, things can changes, maybe fans alone can get it over the top and continue producing it, but I doubt that very much....
You completely ignored my statements about the streaming numbers and how these linear ratings are getting less and less important....especially for the CW.
It's 2020 and not 2000 anymore where folks didn't dare to dream that it would be possible to stream something.
Nowadays 90% of all folks under 30 doesn't even seem to know that there is something like "regular" TV programs or even watch something on "regular" TV. (I know ...exageration).
And online you can watch the show anytime you want for free, without registration (CW website or app).
And with one HDMI cable you can transfer the signal to your TV and you are good to go. The only advantage you still have when you watch this show on the CW TV program is that you can watch the episode on sunday instead of monday, but your are bound to an exact time slot.
Unless we don't know the streaming numbers that this and others shows actually achieve......we know practically nothing about how much audience it has.

I think they have a good chance to improve on all fronts on season 2 and get more audience:
Spoiler
Having a Bruce Wayne on the show, even if it will only be the "fake" one should be good for the numbers.
Bringing in interesting villains and heroes should help as well. So far, I'm only sure about
Spoiler
Safiyah
showing up, but it would be wise if WB would allow them to bring on some more folks who generate additional interest.
A new lead actress may be exactly what the show need. I like Ruby and she looks quite good, but I wouldn't really call her very sexy. With another actress in the lead they could attract a bigger audience....especially with the straight men, who are maybe the biggest "problem" regarding audience. Hard to say how many of them could be convinced, but it would certainly help a little.
And they need a good start in season 2 to grab the audience. The worst episode in season 1 was the pilot.....which is/was highly problematic as that scared off a lot of audience.....
-
And let's not forget the CW hasn't cancelled a single Arrowverse show yet. They stick tho their shows, unlike other networks. Arrow was just ended because of Amell has lost the interest after 8 seasons!
And Supergirl, Black Lightning and Legends have all worse numbers than Batwoman (at least on the linear ratings). So unless Batwoman falls behind these shows.....I'm sure it won't be the first show on the Arrowverse that gets cancelled.

ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Well that's because you're a sensible person!

It is odd. Back in the day I understand it wasn't unheard of for Hollywood leading men to be closeted gays, who would be seen out on the town dating ladies, because that's what the marketing bods wanted I guess. Rock Hudson etc. I think the "correct" opinion these days was that this was a bit of an odd situation and that we shouldn't really be doing that kind of thing any more.

These days I wouldn't be surprised if actors were closet straight. If an actress wants to be eligible for more acting jobs, she can be seen out on the town with another young lady, claim membership of "the community". You don't see TV stations saying their cast must come from the "straight community"!

On the other hand, "being" gay to play gay is good method acting - like an actor say learning to box to better play a boxer. What is it to "be gay" after all? Does opting to have sex with members of the same sex qualify you? I'd say yes, but would be very impressed by any actor who did this openly.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I do know who I would like to replace Ruby

Her initials are KJ
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago

Boy, I went to bed thinking after reading Scribbler's post where it clearly showed Batwoman outperforming Supergirl in the most important and relevant 18 to 49 demographic, I thought it was a Scribbler mic drop end of story. Here in the U.S, 0.5 is not the relevant number for a fledgling network such as the CW. CW is not a seven network, nine network, or network 10 in your neck of the woods, it almost exclusively targets the young demos. It's kind of like the sort of wrestling war happening on Wednesday nights her in the states. TNT has AEW wrestling going against NXT on the USA network. NXT is getting a better rating and averaging better ratings some weeks, that it goes back and forth, but AEW is clearly winning in the important young 18 to 34 demos, and most experts because of that demo win declare AEW the clear winner in the war. Make no mistake about it, AEW getting a three year extension is thanks to the demographic victories, not due to the performance among total viewer or ratings average.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

God I'm old...I remember when the wrestling "war" used to be between WCW Nitro and WWF Raw.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

ivandobsky wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
You've clearly never met me, :giggle:

I would say being gay playing gay is an advantage only if the story is about that.

If it's just a token bit of the character background , which it should be in a comic book hero themed action serial, it can be played by a heterosexual person. But I would say it and any other role should be played by the best ACTOR regardless of their sexual preferences .

Just my not -humble- at- all opinion
:D

shevek
Producer
Producer

Realistically, there is very little chance that the Batwoman showrunners would consider a wider pool of actresses (i.e. straight women) for the role of Kate Kane. Greg Berlanti is gay and Caroline Dries is lesbian. They are going to double down in Season 2.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

I don't have an issue with a lesbian actress playing Kate...that's one of the reasons Batwoman was a ground breaking heroine in her book after all, however my issue is the shoving it in our face constantly. I don't remember Kate being that up in your face about it, it was just part of her life and she went about her business. She didn't really give a crap what people thought about her and that was one of the things that made her a great character. I still remember how Batman tried to pull the whole "I'm deciding if I'm going to let you operate in Gotham" nonsense that he tried with Huntress and Batwoman basically told him to go F' himself she didn't need his approval and she had her own support and resources. Her book was one of my favorite DC books(until they screwed it up not leting her "be happy" and made the writers walk) and I can't for the life of me really remember anytime her being a lesbian was a huge part of the story or plot, she was a kick ass heroine with awesome adventures and we never had to delve into that. That's why I found it hilarious they were branding her on the show as "in your face and all about social justice" because that was never any aspect of her character in the comic, but you know, this wouldn't be the first time Hollywood has pissed on source material. I really wish they'd delve more into her adventures with the DEO, that would set up some more mythical/paranormal stuff and open things up to more team ups with Supergirl, which would be a good thing.

Also there's a new report out about friction on the set being the reason Ruby bailed on the show.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why ... 06627.html

Kind of lacking details so take it with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't surprise me given the courteous nature of the departing statements. Usually when both sides talk that way but give no details, there was some beef going on somewhere.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
ivandobsky wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
You've clearly never met me, :giggle:

I would say being gay playing gay is an advantage only if the story is about that.

If it's just a token bit of the character background , which it should be in a comic book hero themed action serial, it can be played by a heterosexual person. But I would say it and any other role should be played by the best ACTOR regardless of their sexual preferences .

Just my not -humble- at- all opinion
:D
I agree!! let's put a straight girl in the role and see her in the same scenes....maybe she will then find the ultimate pleasure of laying in bed kissing the amazingly hot blondes in this show...remember, there is a first time for everyone, I LOVE seeing straight girls going Bi
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

RedMountain wrote:
3 years ago
God I'm old...I remember when the wrestling "war" used to be between WCW Nitro and WWF Raw.
But AEW is going against the developmental brand of WWE.

Other than Jericho and Cody, the talent is so far in WWE's favor
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well, regarding the idea to only casts lesbians for the role:
At first I didn't like the idea that they exclude....let's say 95% of all actresses from the casting by doing that.
On the other hand have LGBTQ folks been mistreated, bullied and so on for centuries. And it's somehow more "authentic" when a gay person plays a gay role.
Of course you don't NEED to do that everytime a gay role gets casted, but as shevek said....Greg Berlanti and showrunner Caroline Dries are members of that community.
I can understand that they want to make a stand by wanting to cast a gay person for that role. This is ONE role in ONE TV show, nothing more.
Now I think the LGBTQ community just deserves to have that, why not? They wanna feel represented in such an iconic role as there are so few of them.
I can't blame them, I'm ok with it after all the problems they still get nowadays....even it means a lot of trouble for the production.
The gigantic turmoil that resulted shows in my opinion how much it was needed to make such a stand.
Yes, by far not all was related to the idea of only casting gays for a gay role...but it surely was a part of it.
I think that many men (mostly) have still massive issues with lesbians...especially if the lesbians don't look like the lesbians from the porn movies.
And nearly nobody, who has issues with gays and/or lesbians, will admit that, or dares to speak about it, instead they make up some other issues.

And no, I'm not referring to anyone here in particular. Relax. Just general speaking.
-
P.S.: And LGBTQ actors are excluded from many roles. Just think about what would hapen if they would cast an openly gay actor as Batman.
Riots! Turmoil! And I too think it wouldn't be a good call to do that, just because Batman is a straight guy.
Batwoman isn't straight, so, I don't have any issues if they only want to cast a lesbian for the role and exclude the straight women for this role. Let them have that.
The only thing that is really important now is to find the RIGHT lesbian for the role.
Last edited by Maskripper 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

Babylon 5 case is not a recast tho, more like a transfer of role (or lead in this case) which they transfer the main role from Sinclair to Sheridan, this is done quite a lot in TV industry where one lead character handed his/her lead to another character, it mostly serve the way long running TV show (Like coronation street, neighbour and so on), but you will sometime have them worked in short TV shows like True Detective (which is non-chronological and change from Matthew McConaughey to Colin Farrell to Mahershala Ali for example) or shows like Silent Witness, Spook, Strike Back, even Game of Throne.

It will only be a recast if they recast Bruce Boxleitner into Jeffery Sinclair roles.....

Show generally did not sit well in recast because they lose touch on the direction (Hence the recast) and also lost their appealability (People will still see Ruby Rose as Batwoman and it will be kind of odd if it wasn't) and if they are fixated on getting the same role, which in this case is the only way this is going to work, they know their show is numbered. It's like if they recast someone to play Supergirl, will you still watch it and feel the same as with Benoist's Spuergirl?
True. But James Bond is recasts and that went on for decades.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
The only thing that is really important now is to find the RIGHT lesbian for the role.
Robert Downey Jr is not a billionaire tech genius who flies in a suit in real life but he makes a great iron man.

People get replaced all the time when they are white, straight and male. All the actress has to do is play lesbian.

BTW this is supposedly illegal. Lesbian is not an outward characteristic like skin color. One could insist a black man play MLK but he could be gay in real life. And plenty of gay actors play straight roles and are outwardly gay. One cannot insist a straight man play a straight character.

You don't solve a gunshot wound with a gun shot wound. There is no "revenge". Now if the show makes money with a fan base that wants this stuff then so be it. But its clear the fan base that wants this stuff doesn't pay or support the program all that much. Where are these people other than a small edge case? In fact I question if this LGBT stuff is there because LGBT want it or the straight guilt ridden producers put it in to appease their own egos.

In any event its dishonest for people to scream at fans if they want straight characters and call them phobic while at the same time scream an actor or actress has to be lesbian to play a role and the character has to be lesbian. Its a violation of the same rule. No special pleading.

As far as oppression... sure a whole lot of Hollywood is controlled by LGBT and sure a whole lot of multi-millionaire LGBT out there. Ellen is worth over $450 million.

By all means if LGBT want their "space" then so be it. I am a firm believe in freedom of association. But that door swings both ways and maybe straights want their own space.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

Babylon 5 case is not a recast tho, more like a transfer of role (or lead in this case) which they transfer the main role from Sinclair to Sheridan, this is done quite a lot in TV industry where one lead character handed his/her lead to another character, it mostly serve the way long running TV show (Like coronation street, neighbour and so on), but you will sometime have them worked in short TV shows like True Detective (which is non-chronological and change from Matthew McConaughey to Colin Farrell to Mahershala Ali for example) or shows like Silent Witness, Spook, Strike Back, even Game of Throne.

It will only be a recast if they recast Bruce Boxleitner into Jeffery Sinclair roles.....

Show generally did not sit well in recast because they lose touch on the direction (Hence the recast) and also lost their appealability (People will still see Ruby Rose as Batwoman and it will be kind of odd if it wasn't) and if they are fixated on getting the same role, which in this case is the only way this is going to work, they know their show is numbered. It's like if they recast someone to play Supergirl, will you still watch it and feel the same as with Benoist's Spuergirl?
The times when a recast has worked in TV are rare

I am going to eliminate DR Who from this discussion because regeneration makes it unique

It did not work with
Miss Ellie in Dallas
Travis in Blake 7
Hannibal Hayes in Alias Smith and Jones
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
Robert Downey Jr is not a billionaire tech genius who flies in a suit in real life but he makes a great iron man.

People get replaced all the time when they are white, straight and male. All the actress has to do is play lesbian.

BTW this is supposedly illegal. Lesbian is not an outward characteristic like skin color. One could insist a black man play MLK but he could be gay in real life. And plenty of gay actors play straight roles and are outwardly gay. One cannot insist a straight man play a straight character.

You don't solve a gunshot wound with a gun shot wound. There is no "revenge". Now if the show makes money with a fan base that wants this stuff then so be it. But its clear the fan base that wants this stuff doesn't pay or support the program all that much. Where are these people other than a small edge case? In fact I question if this LGBT stuff is there because LGBT want it or the straight guilt ridden producers put it in to appease their own egos.

In any event its dishonest for people to scream at fans if they want straight characters and call them phobic while at the same time scream an actor or actress has to be lesbian to play a role and the character has to be lesbian. Its a violation of the same rule. No special pleading.

As far as oppression... sure a whole lot of Hollywood is controlled by LGBT and sure a whole lot of multi-millionaire LGBT out there. Ellen is worth over $450 million.

By all means if LGBT want their "space" then so be it. I am a firm believe in freedom of association. But that door swings both ways and maybe straights want their own space.

regarding RobertDowneyJunior:
One of the most ...bizarre.... comparisons in history :lol:
-
And I get the impression that in your view..... the LGBT community is some sort of villain and tries to take all the fun away for the straight people by forcing their "agendas" onto them.
Am I right about that?

ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
.... the LGBT community is some sort of villain and tries to take all the fun away for the straight people by forcing their "agendas" onto them.
Am I right about that?
Oh come on! They're not *all* like that! :giggle:

edit: :excl: A disclaimer for this joke was requested. The above is intended to be read as a joke. The smiley face is also intended to indicate that the above is a joke. The user quoted wishes it to be understood that they do not hold an opinion in line with the humorously truncated quotation above.
Last edited by ivandobsky 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Guys...trust me...I am a Lesbian and it is totally fine for a straight girl to play a lesbian, ever see Orange is the new Black?? Also MOST girls I know...not ALL but most go both ways now anyway, surprisingly the bi-sexuals are more prevelant in the crowds I know and run than just gay or straight....plus I can't tell you how hot it is to see a lesbian with a straight girl onscreen or RL....hot hot hot
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

You completely ignored my statements about the streaming numbers and how these linear ratings are getting less and less important....especially for the CW.
It's 2020 and not 2000 anymore where folks didn't dare to dream that it would be possible to stream something.
Nowadays 90% of all folks under 30 doesn't even seem to know that there is something like "regular" TV programs or even watch something on "regular" TV. (I know ...exageration).
And online you can watch the show anytime you want for free, without registration (CW website or app).
And with one HDMI cable you can transfer the signal to your TV and you are good to go. The only advantage you still have when you watch this show on the CW TV program is that you can watch the episode on sunday instead of monday, but your are bound to an exact time slot.
Unless we don't know the streaming numbers that this and others shows actually achieve......we know practically nothing about how much audience it has.

I think they have a good chance to improve on all fronts on season 2 and get more audience:
Spoiler
Having a Bruce Wayne on the show, even if it will only be the "fake" one should be good for the numbers.
Bringing in interesting villains and heroes should help as well. So far, I'm only sure about
Spoiler
Safiyah
showing up, but it would be wise if WB would allow them to bring on some more folks who generate additional interest.
A new lead actress may be exactly what the show need. I like Ruby and she looks quite good, but I wouldn't really call her very sexy. With another actress in the lead they could attract a bigger audience....especially with the straight men, who are maybe the biggest "problem" regarding audience. Hard to say how many of them could be convinced, but it would certainly help a little.
And they need a good start in season 2 to grab the audience. The worst episode in season 1 was the pilot.....which is/was highly problematic as that scared off a lot of audience.....
-
And let's not forget the CW hasn't cancelled a single Arrowverse show yet. They stick tho their shows, unlike other networks. Arrow was just ended because of Amell has lost the interest after 8 seasons!
And Supergirl, Black Lightning and Legends have all worse numbers than Batwoman (at least on the linear ratings). So unless Batwoman falls behind these shows.....I'm sure it won't be the first show on the Arrowverse that gets cancelled.
Streaming and Network Service does not earn as much money as they could via ads and network distribution right. I know because I am working in the TV industry. With streaming platform nowadays, it's lucky if you get $1 per play. Majority of those are going to tax and the platform service. They also take a good chunk out of your ads profits when they were put into platform. And that is before you also need to consider online video privacy....

CW is not like us online video producer, they don't solely relied on streaming service and when they are in the cable network, they looks at number of subscription and at the end of the day, that will trump streaming and DVR number, because that is their major source of income.

And also, you cannot compare a show in its first year to a show in its 3rd, 4th and 5th. rating always goes downward as a series progress, and you are looking at the number for season 1 of batwoman

To the rest of your point, I think we should agree to disagree.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Lesbians are cool with me. I find the idea that straight women actually want to bone guys a bit offputting actually. Who in their right mind would want to do that?
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago

Boy, I went to bed thinking after reading Scribbler's post where it clearly showed Batwoman outperforming Supergirl in the most important and relevant 18 to 49 demographic, I thought it was a Scribbler mic drop end of story. Here in the U.S, 0.5 is not the relevant number for a fledgling network such as the CW. CW is not a seven network, nine network, or network 10 in your neck of the woods, it almost exclusively targets the young demos. It's kind of like the sort of wrestling war happening on Wednesday nights her in the states. TNT has AEW wrestling going against NXT on the USA network. NXT is getting a better rating and averaging better ratings some weeks, that it goes back and forth, but AEW is clearly winning in the important young 18 to 34 demos, and most experts because of that demo win declare AEW the clear winner in the war. Make no mistake about it, AEW getting a three year extension is thanks to the demographic victories, not due to the performance among total viewer or ratings average.
To be honest, I never watched channel seven (although I work as one of their show producer, producing one of their segment in the Sunrise show, and I used to work for channel nine, which I preferred, but well, seven paid more and I needed the money...anyway..)

I speak on my own experience as a AP in one of the major network in Australia, maskripper said did not actually make sense when he compare a first year show to a 4th or 5th years, because when you deal with actor, you don't just think of "now", or what is going on this season, if you do that, you probably have cancelled your own show, every story you write is for a series of actors (not just one) to keep on playing their role, so when you write a show, you think of it 2 or 3 or may even be 5 years down the road.

So if I am producing a show, especially a new show, I look at the number and look at how feasible that would be, not just this year, but subsequently as well. That is why I said the show first year mediocre rating (we should at least agree the rating for batwoman is mediocre, shall we?) And that would affect the program get funding, that is because it WILL BE worse in the second year, and the third, if there are the third year.

Even tho today is 2020, not 2000, the rating is still relevant, even tho not too many people watch TV anymore. The problem is, the alternative is actually worst. I can sell a show to Netflix and get around 1 or 2 dollars per play, or if they buy it outright, I may get around 600,000 to 1 millions rights + residual, however, those are peanuts when you compare to network syndication and international broadcast right. Because say for example, if Channel 7 here in Oz want to buy the right to SG, they will need to negotiate right + residual, if I remember correctly, Fox bought the right of SG for $400,000 + residual with an unknown percentage. And that's channel specific, sometime they pay more, sometime less, but that is per channel. But at the end of the day, channel buys right does not looks at streaming platform, they still looks at stuff like accolade and rating. I mean, it's generally no one internationally will buy a show that done poorly in the US in terms of rating.

As for why you cannot compare a freshmen show and a veteran show? The answer is quite simple, and it's only one word. - Rerun, for a veteran show, you can afford to get low rating but that is not the same for a new show..

Re-run is probably second best (if not actually the best) way to earn money for a show, because when you rerun, you still need to pay for the show, either in a contractual rerun or residual, but since you already have produced the show, you, as the production company, pay nothing (except for a certain % of the actor retained residual) If I remember correctly, Friends earns like 20 times more money in reruns than when it was broadcasted originally in NBC, for example, Netflix signed a 120 millions, 2 years deal on all 10 season of Friends rerun during 2018-2020, I don't think the show have earn $120 millions on its entirely first run for WB?

This is not the same at all with sport program, they have another issue related and their payment are calculated separately than TV shows. For starter, there are no production cost for a sporting program, it's the same reason why reality show is a hit now, because there are next to nothing production cost.
Last edited by AvaHeinz 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago

Well, considering James Bond itself is iconic, not the person who played the character. And technically, this is not a recast as well, as there are no set of character trait for what James Bond can be, the only thing we know about JB (not even his real name) is that he is a British Secret Agent, and he is a womanizer, and probably that's about it. Each actor who played JB approach the character differently, so you can say it is the same role, but you can also say its not the same role.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I agree with Dr. Dominator I hope they never make Batman weak to boost up Batwoman. As for recasting the main characting, that has has happened. Remember the two Darrins on Betwitched.

Could that work on this show? We will see.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bronson881 wrote:
3 years ago
I agree with Dr. Dominator I hope they never make Batman weak to boost up Batwoman. As for recasting the main characting, that has has happened. Remember the two Darrins on Betwitched.

Good point about the Darrins. I think that is one of the rare ones
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

Bronson881 wrote:
3 years ago

I think Bewitched dropped a lot of rating after the switch, Wikipedia said it goes from rank 11 to rank 24 and this is generally blamed for the show ultimate cancelation? And they keep the production going because they are contractually obligated?

I am not saying this would not work in Batwoman tho, as there are actually some success story after a recast, Top Gear is the prime example when they replaced Jason Dawes with James May, so a recast may work but they need to thread carefully.
shevek
Producer
Producer

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
Guys...trust me...I am a Lesbian and it is totally fine for a straight girl to play a lesbian, ever see Orange is the new Black?? Also MOST girls I know...not ALL but most go both ways now anyway, surprisingly the bi-sexuals are more prevelant in the crowds I know and run than just gay or straight....plus I can't tell you how hot it is to see a lesbian with a straight girl onscreen or RL....hot hot hot
Agreed, batgirl1969. It is very beautiful. It's much easier to find straight women willing to kiss each other (that's as far as we go, since we're PG-13) than it is to find a woman to kiss a man when they don't know each other.

But the fact remains that the showrunners will never allow a straight actress to play Batwoman. They would rather fall on their own swords than back down from the agenda. Guaranteed.

However, here's a hilarious alternative take that I found posted over on the Nerdrotic channel's comments by someone named Jed Opportuneson:

"Here’s my take. The show has been cancelled - CW just needs to save face. So Ruby “leaves,” then the “search for a new lead” will “unfortunately fail” and then CW will admit that they’ve cancelled it."

Probably not going to happen that way, but if it does, it would be one hella big gaslighting operation. :)
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

No shortage of articles on who could, or who wants to, replace Ruby as Batwoman...

Google: batwoman replacement
google for batwoman replacement.png
google for batwoman replacement.png (272.55 KiB) Viewed 4684 times

Above in this thread, I see...
Jaime Alexander
Kate Beckinsale
KJ

On another note, I think they should totally revamp this show! Cause the writing's been crap. Bring on some better writers. Make it like an alternate world Batwoman and start over. Altho I guess they got rid of alternate worlds with the Crisis thing. Darn.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
3 years ago

Kate Beckinsale
That was a joke...
But I will try to dug up some candidates that fit the profile.
-
On a sidenote:
Funny how the thread "exploded" after the news that Ruby Rose left. :hmmm:

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago

To be honest, I never watched channel seven (although I work as one of their show producer, producing one of their segment in the Sunrise show, and I used to work for channel nine, which I preferred, but well, seven paid more and I needed the money...anyway..)

I speak on my own experience as a AP in one of the major network in Australia, maskripper said did not actually make sense when he compare a first year show to a 4th or 5th years, because when you deal with actor, you don't just think of "now", or what is going on this season, if you do that, you probably have cancelled your own show, every story you write is for a series of actors (not just one) to keep on playing their role, so when you write a show, you think of it 2 or 3 or may even be 5 years down the road.

So if I am producing a show, especially a new show, I look at the number and look at how feasible that would be, not just this year, but subsequently as well. That is why I said the show first year mediocre rating (we should at least agree the rating for batwoman is mediocre, shall we?) And that would affect the program get funding, that is because it WILL BE worse in the second year, and the third, if there are the third year.

Even tho today is 2020, not 2000, the rating is still relevant, even tho not too many people watch TV anymore. The problem is, the alternative is actually worst. I can sell a show to Netflix and get around 1 or 2 dollars per play, or if they buy it outright, I may get around 600,000 to 1 millions rights + residual, however, those are peanuts when you compare to network syndication and international broadcast right. Because say for example, if Channel 7 here in Oz want to buy the right to SG, they will need to negotiate right + residual, if I remember correctly, Fox bought the right of SG for $400,000 + residual with an unknown percentage. And that's channel specific, sometime they pay more, sometime less, but that is per channel. But at the end of the day, channel buys right does not looks at streaming platform, they still looks at stuff like accolade and rating. I mean, it's generally no one internationally will buy a show that done poorly in the US in terms of rating.

As for why you cannot compare a freshmen show and a veteran show? The answer is quite simple, and it's only one word. - Rerun, for a veteran show, you can afford to get low rating but that is not the same for a new show..

Re-run is probably second best (if not actually the best) way to earn money for a show, because when you rerun, you still need to pay for the show, either in a contractual rerun or residual, but since you already have produced the show, you, as the production company, pay nothing (except for a certain % of the actor retained residual) If I remember correctly, Friends earns like 20 times more money in reruns than when it was broadcasted originally in NBC, for example, Netflix signed a 120 millions, 2 years deal on all 10 season of Friends rerun during 2018-2020, I don't think the show have earn $120 millions on its entirely first run for WB?

This is not the same at all with sport program, they have another issue related and their payment are calculated separately than TV shows. For starter, there are no production cost for a sporting program, it's the same reason why reality show is a hit now, because there are next to nothing production cost.
The interesting thing about your Friends example is that NBC sees virtually nothing of that syndication money because they do not own the series, that I believe Warner media and it's predecessor Warner Brothers got that loot. Traditionally speaking sitcoms like Friends and Seinfeld are able to make big scores in syndication, that hour long dramas are not nearly as successful in pulling in that kind of revenue. While there are scores of examples of shows that basically shoot most of their creative wad in the first season, then run out of creative gas and cruise along, that is not always the case. There are a lot of examples of shows that find their true creative voice in season 2 or 3, and that creative growth spurs word of mouth, which spurs increased ratings relative to how other shows are performing in an industry that is losing quite a bit of its market share of the audience. That is where streaming services really pay off for shows, allowing people to catch up on the first season or so they may have missed. A lot of people (including me) missed the first season of Breaking Bad but I was able to catch up with the series and creator Vince Gilligan credited Netflix as a key element in the growth and popularity of the series because of that dynamic. You don't get to be a veteran show if you whack all of your shows after one season! Also keep this in mind, if you check out Scribbler's chart, Ava, that the Scribbler was kind enough to post on this thread it shows Batwoman outperforming Supergirl in the all important 18 to 49 demos as well as total viewers, so tell me how it would look if the powers that be at the CW gave Supergirl a renewal order and cancelled Batwoman, how would the optics of that look like? You would have LGBTQ groups in an uproar decrying the fact that you renewed straight beautiful White straight heterosexual superheroine's show while you jettisoned a higher rated show with a lesbian character as the lead. There would be people protesting outside those CW offices tomorrow, they would be outside their with pitchforks and broomsticks ready for battle demanding a reversal of that decision and the firing of the CW head honcho. I think that we can all agree that would not be a good look for any company looking to be seen as inclusive and caring for the plight of minorities.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

It's a bit pointless questioning whether shows on The CW will get cancelled due to low ratings, as The CW is happy to let its shows make a loss on the network. As Leslie Moonves put it in 2016, “The CW as an entity may lose some money. However, CW is owned by two companies that produce the shows. The shows bring us more revenue than the losses do. So it’s still valuable, and there’s still a marketplace for it.”

Supergirl is a classic example. The show started on CBS, which isn't owned by Warner Bros. WB produced Supergirl, and CBS bought a world-exclusive license from WB to screen it before anyone else. CBS didn't have an ownership stake in Supergirl, so the only way it could make profits from the show was from advertising; consequently ratings mattered.

Warner Bros. owned the Supergirl show, and it could make profits from selling it to overseas broadcasters, into syndication markets, on DVD/BR, onto box-set streaming services, and from all the associated merchandising. When Supergirl switched to The CW, the show was now running on a network which was part owned by the same company that produced it. The whole idea of a license cost that needed to be recouped by advertising (like on CBS) was moot -- WB would just be charging itself to play its own show on its own network.As such, ratings became far less important. The CW could make a loss by showing Supergirl, because it was giving its parent company (WB) a space to create a show that would continue to provide a revenue stream for many years to come. It is, in effect, a little bit like the so-called 'razor blade' business model: The CW gives Warner Bros. a place to build up a solid episode count (88+) over successive seasons, boosting potential profits when selling the show in decades to come. The CW is also acting as a shop window, driving awareness and brand-recognition for the show, which also makes it more saleable in future.

Forbes: The CW Doesn't Care About Live Views Because The CW Doesn't Have Major Stake In Its Programming

R5
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

I like Ruby. I haven't seen much of her other work, but I do like her. I liked the character of Kate better than Batwoman if that makes sense.
I just don't like the darker, more serious tone of most modern superhero tv shows and movies. I prefer the campiness of the 1960s Batman. I wish the early 2000s Electrawoman and Dyns Girl with Markie Post could have gotten off the ground. It could have been the same kind of campy show. I guess we'll never see another 60s Batman.