Captain Marvel (2019)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

The movie's out, and I liked it. It's a lot of fun, and Brie Larson carries her role off well. Great 90's soundtrack, too.

There were a couple points I didn't like, but they are spoilers, so I'm just gonna shut up for now. Maybe later in the thread.

Stay through the credits. I mean, by this point that should be obvious, but every time I go to a Marvel movie, there are people trucking out of the theater as soon as the credits start to roll.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

WE HAVE A SPOILER BUTTON
THE EYE WITH A LINE THRU IT ABOVE THE FULL EDITOR MESSAGE BOX

Caps are for emphasis. Feel free to use the spoiler button
Spoiler
Many Bothans died for you to be able to use this spoiler button
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert

A couple people have mentioned two SHIP scenes in the movie. Could someone use the spoiler button to share some info about those scenes? There was a little stir about the giant villain in the last Avengers flick wearing what looked like a piece of CM's uniform on his belt, possibly as a trophy. Anything to that?
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

There are actually several, but most are of short duration, where she gets punched or zapped, but the camera doesn't zoom in on it, and then she's back up ten seconds later.

As for the longer ones:
Spoiler
Fairly early in the movie, she gets tasered by a Skrull, has a couple lines of dialog while she's weak and half out of it, then he points his gun straight into the camera and lights out. We next see her hanging in an inverted crucifix position getting brain scanned. She's in and out of consciousness for a while, while some flashbacks play, but then recovers enough to break free. We got glimpses of this scene in some of the trailers.

Later on there is a flashback where she remembers the accident where she gets her powers. In the flashback, she gets blasted with power from the Tesseract and it lays her out cold on her back, arms spread, as bits of tesseract energy shimmer around her. We get a good look at her laid out, and then it zooms in on her hand, still out cold, as her energy signature manifests weakly. The scene ends without her waking up.

Edit: And I guess there is a third one at the climax of the movie where she has been punched out, and the camera cuts to a shot of her kneeling on the floor bound in some kind of "mind control tendrils" and her eyes are all glowy/rolled back in her head, while they try to brainwash her again. That doesn't last long, though, and she breaks free after some flashbacks of every time in her life where she didn't give up.
Last edited by Lurkndog 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
WE HAVE A SPOILER BUTTON
THE EYE WITH A LINE THRU IT ABOVE THE FULL EDITOR MESSAGE BOX

Caps are for emphasis. Feel free to use the spoiler button
Spoiler
Many Bothans died for you to be able to use this spoiler button
I hate to put spoilers, even properly hidden ones, in the first article of the thread. It's just kind of rude. Particularly when I didn't specify it was a spoilers thread in the title.
Last edited by Lurkndog 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

As for the costume, she begins the movie wearing the dark blue and silver one that turns out to be the Kree Warrior uniform. It looks and fits like a motorcycle suit, or like the uniforms in the first X-Men movie.

Later on she changes the colors in her uniform to the red blue and gold colors of her current comic book uniform, and it seems like the uniform gets slightly sleeker. It's never spandex sleek, though. Pity.

In both uniforms, there is a helmet/cowl piece that covers her head when she's in space, with a force field over the exposed mouth, and a Mohawk coming out of the top that doesn't appear to be her actual hair. This appears and disappears as the story requires, and it's pretty much only there when the character is full CGI.

The black spandex singlet with the lightning bolt and sash does not appear in the movie at any time.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

As for mind control:
Spoiler
At the start of the movie, Captain Marvel has been completely brainwashed by the Kree, to the point where she answers to the name Vers (pronounced "veers"). She has no memories of her life on Earth, she's just a happy and committed Kree warrior.

Vers is sent to meet the Kree Supreme Intelligence, an AI that appears differently to each person because it draws on your subconscious. The AI appears as a character from her past on Earth, and Vers simply doesn't recognize her.

After getting captured by the Skrulls and brain-scanned, she starts seeing flashes of her life on earth, and as the movie goes on, she starts unlocking more and more of her past, and meets up with her former best friend. She finally remembers pretty much everything.

In the climax, the Kree try to brainwash her again, but her memories are too strong this time and she is able to break free.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

And as for what I didn't like:
Spoiler
They make the Skrulls into good guys, which totally contradicts 50 years of comics lore. I guess having a bad on bad conflict was just too nuanced for them. It sucks, too, because the Skrulls are great bad guys.

There is no reveal of any of the Avengers being a Skrull. Which is fine.

There is also no mention of Super-Skrulls. That is too bad, as again they are great villains.

They also completely omit any mention of Rogue, who in comics continuity had gained her flight and energy blast powers by semi-permanently draining them from Carol Danvers. That one is more excusable, though, as the XMen characters aren't in the same continuity, yet.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Lurkndog wrote:
5 years ago
Spoiler
They make the Skrulls into good guys, which totally contradicts 50 years of comics lore. I guess having a bad on bad conflict was just too nuanced for them. It sucks, too, because the Skrulls are great bad guys.
Spoiler
I suspect the Skrulls and the Kree will become more nuanced in the future. These particular Skrulls may have been refugees of war, but that doesn't mean the Skrull government was all noble and the Kree government was all evil. --And didn't Agents of Shield establish both Skrulls and Kree as hostile? Not that Agents of Shield is part of the MCU, but Marvel likes to pretend it is and seems to avoid actively retconning the big-picture stuff AoS says about the MCU. --And CM was gone a long time, which suggests the mission got... complicated.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Okay well, I actually went and saw this (got back about an hour and a half ago) and frankly... it was a damn good Marvel film. Not 'the best' but very far from the worst. It sits right in the middle there for me with such gems as Guardians of the Galaxy 1, Thor 3, Avengers, Iron Man 3 and Cival War... which is to say It felt like a Marvel movie. Nothing else it needed to do.
Lurkndog wrote:
5 years ago
Spoiler

There is no reveal of any of the Avengers being a Skrull. Which is fine.

There is also no mention of Super-Skrulls. That is too bad, as again they are great villains.

They also completely omit any mention of Rogue, who in comics continuity had gained her flight and energy blast powers by semi-permanently draining them from Carol Danvers. That one is more excusable, though, as the XMen characters aren't in the same continuity, yet.
Spoiler
I'd say no species is all good guys and all bad guys. So that works out fine for me. It was a good moment for showing that Captain Marvel is willing to look at her enemies point of view when need be.

I think a reveal of an Avenger as a skrull would be better positioned in an actual Avengers movie than here anyway?

I think Fox still has the rights to all things 'super skrull' related due to the Fantastic Four franchise.

That would be a plot point better suited for a full fledged Rogue movie. Can't squeeze 50 years of comic book sauce into one movie anyway.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

we took some time out of our Monster Mania weekend in new jersey to see this Saturday night...it was not bad...Bree really is a hottie now...at first I was kind of meh about her but she is a pretty cool blonde!! Cherry Hill was a fun place to visit...love the name...and here is my spoiler....I was able to finger bang my girlfriend in the theater seat next to me and nobody knew....even when the big one hit her....of course the butter from the popcorn helped...overall we gave this movie a finger licking thumbs up!!!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

batgirl1969 wrote:
5 years ago
and here is my spoiler....I was able to finger bang my girlfriend in the theater seat next to me and nobody knew....even when the big one hit her....of course the butter from the popcorn helped...overall we gave this movie a finger licking thumbs up!!!
Gives a whole different slant to the name "Goose" the pussy.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
5 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
5 years ago
and here is my spoiler....I was able to finger bang my girlfriend in the theater seat next to me and nobody knew....even when the big one hit her....of course the butter from the popcorn helped...overall we gave this movie a finger licking thumbs up!!!
Gives a whole different slant to the name "Goose" the pussy.
My least favorite part about this movie is that they renamed the cat, so as that's my biggest nitpick, I'd say it was a win.
Bert

batgirl1969 wrote:
5 years ago
...and here is my spoiler....I was able to finger bang my girlfriend in the theater seat next to me and nobody knew....even when the big one hit her....of course the butter from the popcorn helped...overall we gave this movie a finger licking thumbs up!!!
Tsk, tsk. So naughty! (Pronounce "naughty" the British way in your head when you read it for the full effect)
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I saw it and enjoyed it.
Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

Without spoilers, are there any KO's/peril in it?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Blx wrote:
5 years ago
I feel like a definitive yes or no here would be its own sort of a spoiler? So...
Spoiler
Yes, but you don't see anyone splayed out or anything like you might in a fetish video
Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Blx wrote:
5 years ago
I feel like a definitive yes or no here would be its own sort of a spoiler? So...
Spoiler
Yes, but you don't see anyone splayed out or anything like you might in a fetish video
Thanks!
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So, watched the movie.
It was fun..... good action, some laughs and Brie Larson does a good job as a super hero.
I like to see women in such action roles, especially as the lead role. And that makes the movie special in my eyes as there a so few good comic movies with a female lead.
If Captain Marvel would be a man...I would like it less, to be honest.
The story is ok, had hoped for more Denvers screentime.
If I compare the movie with WonderWoman....it's below that one. WonderWoman had a much cooler setting for my taste and Captain Marvel is a too strong for my taste.
But she surerly will be needed in the Avengers Endgame!
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Worth bearing in mind that Captain Marvel might seem immensely powerful now, but phase four of the MCU sees some more of the X-Men enter the series (after Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch) and then Carol Danvers presumably has a date with Rogue. And by date I mean she's going to have most of her powers stolen.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I would be pretty surprised if they went with the traditional route of re-telling a classic Marvel Comics story (like Rogue stealing Carol's powers)
because several major points in the movie are 'ret-conned' and veer away from comic book lore, seemingly on purpose.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Okay so I watched it. Loved it.
Spoiler
Some random things I loved:

1. The Skrulls as the good guys. This is an amazing twist and it's exactly why the MCU is great. It's a great twist in the movie, but it's a great twist as a meta narrative about how people are always told 'These guys are the baddies' without ever questioning it. Which is a huge central theme of the film. So that's pretty amazing.

2. Talos is great. Good bunch of villains in this. Including random space hottie who dies in the Independence Day homage at the end.

3. Captain Marvel being able to burst a Kree warship of the sort that took the entire final act of Guardians of the Galaxy to bring down in just a few seconds was pretty awesome. It brings a lot of questions as to what happens next with regard to having a player with that sort of power on the field but I can't wait to see what happens. And this is something that the MCU has needed to do, and has done, from the get go, keep changing the game, keep changing the rules and the stakes.

4. The movie continues with the recurrent theme of the MCU which is that the people in charge are full of shit and either exploiting you or looking to hold you back. Feels very pertinent in these weird modern times.

Things I didn't like:

1. The soundtrack is a painful reminder that 90s music wasn't as good as the 80s.

2. Nah that's it. Is a very good movie.

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

That is all.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago

:tv: :thumbup:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

At this point, the only thing really working against Captain Marvel is Avengers: Endgame, which will basically take over the box office in a month. So I would not expect Captain Marvel to have as long of a run in theaters as Wonder Woman had.

Though it is possible that Endgame will make people want to check out the Captain Marvel movie if they haven't already, so maybe it will get a bump?

The Shazam movie is also coming out in two weeks, and I hope that it will also do well, but I don't think it will affect the Marvel juggernaut much at all. The DC Captain Marvel is a much less well-known character, having only been on TV as a guest star on the DC animated series, and an obscure Saturday morning live action show in the 1970s. Best case scenario is to do Aquaman numbers for the first couple weeks, but I expect Endgame to shut Shazam down completely when it arrives.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bert

Captain Marvel just passed the one billion dollar mark. Haters' heads are exploding left, right and center - it's like a Scanners retrospective out there. Watch where you step...
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
5 years ago
Captain Marvel just passed the one billion dollar mark. Haters' heads are exploding left, right and center - it's like a Scanners retrospective out there. Watch where you step...
Yep! Epic m-b-b fail! :weep: :weep: :weep: :wavecry:

Really looking forward to Endgame. Infinity War is on Netflix so will watch that again in April, and will probably see CM again in theater a few days before we go see Endgame.

the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Yeah, but how much of that billion is just a bump from people who feel obligated to see it before Endgame, and know they can't just wait for the home video release? It's like Disney is deliberately trying to make as much money as possible.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Imagineer wrote:
5 years ago
Yeah, but how much of that billion is just a bump from people who feel obligated to see it before Endgame, and know they can't just wait for the home video release? It's like Disney is deliberately trying to make as much money as possible.
In fairness, this is no different from Black Panther's situation last year. I worked then, no reason Marvel weren't gonna try to see if it would work again?

Honestly Grace there is kind of a CM hater. It's really bugging her that CM is successful. There's her videos about the latest Endgame trailers and her dislike of Brie Larson can't quite escape them. She's whines on and on about how Captain Marvel smirks at Thor when he pulls his 'hammer by the head' thing, then in the other trailer that extends that a bit and its clear Carol smiles more, Grace is all like 'oh good, they CGI'd her smile!"

I mean... say what you like, but if your first reaction to seeing someone smile is to say, with no irony in your voice, sweet they cgi'd her smile... you're skewed on it. It's a lot easier to just film a smile, which is why they did THAT.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Bert wrote:
5 years ago
Captain Marvel just passed the one billion dollar mark.
Yes but is that an American billion or a real billion like the rest of the world uses? :giggle:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
Bert wrote:
5 years ago
Captain Marvel just passed the one billion dollar mark.
Yes but is that an American billion or a real billion like the rest of the world uses? :giggle:
Well, even basic facts can't be agreed on in the Trump era, so why should numbers be any different? :blink:
shevek
Producer
Producer

A lot of this apparently has to do with anachronisms. But these days there's a list for everything. And Avengers Endgame does come in at #2, but more for continuity errors I think.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/cap ... film-2019/

https://www.moviemistakes.com/film12478
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Tentative ETA on Captain Marvel 2 is 2022, that's a long time for the outraged content farmers to subsist just on Star Wars (who am I kidding though they'll manage it).
shevek
Producer
Producer

I just posted the Captain Marvel thing because I thought it was funny. A lot of the errors are very nitpicky and can't be noticed by non-anal humans.

The "outraged content farmers" are currently in a state of nirvana-like bliss due to simultaneously great trailers released for WW84, Black Widow and Ghostbusters Afterlife, as well as feasting on the "bounty" of Mandalorian, so I think they'll manage just fine til 2022, yes indeed. They've finished picking the bones of Charlie's Angels clean, so I don't see them harrumphing about a whole lot in the near future other than Birds of Prey and Rise of Skywalker. So yes, I think they'll manage. :)
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Marvelous Movie. I look forward to seeing it again when I get around to joining Disney Plus.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!