Batwoman and Gotham City to join Arrowverse!

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Why can't Batwoman have tats? I can understand Supergirl cause unless she's under Kryptonite or a red sun or on Krypton how does she get a tat? But Batwoman can have lots of them. Nothing says she can't.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

on a side note.

Who found excessive body art unattractive?

Not critcizing choices but for me personally a turn off
shevek
Producer
Producer

Don't want to derail this conversation about Batwoman too much towards tattoos (there's got to be several threads about this already somewhere?).

But generally I don't think producers are going to want tattoos on a character unless it has something specifically to do with the character's persona or situation or lifestyle. If they're in a Latino gang or a Chinese kungfu dojo or n the Yakuza or in some kind of goth ( as you may have noticed I like goth girls) or punk or heavy metal culture it makes sense. Also of course if the tattoos are integral to the story like they help give someone powers (The Tattooed Man from the comics) or they are a feature that's central to the story like that TV show Blindspot which I've never watched but I know it has a hot short-haired actress covered in enigmatic tattoos. But otherwise, probably not..you don't see characters in the superhero shows who have tattoos for no good reason.

Also Batwoman in the comics has gorgeous porcelain-white skin, at least when she's in costume (she's got almost too much white privilege! :) and I don't think they've shown any tattoos on her body in the comics.

As far as tattoos being a turnoff, I think it depends where they are on the body and how prevalent they are. We have a couple of heroines with arm sleeve tattoos or on the back, but it fits their warrior personas. I wouldn't want them anywhere on the face, neck, breasts, midriff or bare legs. They're not a turnoff for me if they're limited and don't detract from the general sexiness. Weaponz Tokyo has some on his actresses. Some of the Portland actresses like Selene Drake and Belle Fatale have tattoos that are distinctive but fairly unobtrusive with regards to their costuming.

I do think that people who say they absolutely won't watch a superheroine if she has any tattoos or piercings is being a little picky and extreme. In real life, you're going to see people with lip piercings and nose rings and plenty of tattoos so why shouldn't that be reflected (to some extent) in the world of superheroines. Everything in moderation. Of course, with regards to suspension of belief, an identifying tattoo obviously makes a secret identity rather useless.....
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hmm Jason Momoa as Aquaman is covered in tats. In fact I think that's how they explain that aquaman suit look that the old character had. Instead of the orang fish skin outfit they have him be covered in tats.

I don't think its going to matter much for Bat Woman. No one will really care. Does she look good in the suit? Does she do action well. All good. So you see some sleeve tats once in a while during her day job.

However as a crime fighter having distinguishing marks would be a huge detriment for covering one's identity.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

As for me, it just preference I could be viewing a non superheroine feature adult or otherwise.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I realise that celebs quitting social media is performative, but this is kind of interesting. I can see that it has value that they choose an actor for this role who
a) looks like a woman
b) has "chemistry" with some co-star who also looks like a woman.

Of course, a good straight actor can play gay, and a good gay actor can play straight or whatever, but actors are varying levels of good. Having experienced the rom-con cringe in Legends of Tomorrow, i implore the casting director to not leave anything to chance.
I assume Ruby has some attraction to women, because back in the day when she wanted a "LGBT hero" or whatever, being a lady who likes men and dressing up as a man on weekends was called being a "tomboy". Whether she "self identifies" as a "lesbian" is academic. For all practical casting purposes she is one.

As for tattoos, i figure if you can find an attractive lady who's had a movie fight with Keanu Reeves and did OK, and is willing to dress up in spandex, who really gives a shit about tattoos?
shevek
Producer
Producer

Ruby Rose gets overwhelmed by emotion having accepted the part of Batwoman. Very cool. She is gorgeous on the Fallon show. I'm almost crying with her, you can really feel the happiness.

I just thought of why the Tumblr kooks who are criticizing her for not being Jewish or gay enough to play Kathy Kane are the biggest idiots in the recent
celebrity news cycle.

SUSAN IVANOVA.

One of the major characters of Babylon 5. Beautiful and strong character. Demonstrably Jewish, definitively bisexual. One of the most admired heroines of science fiction TV. And did anyone complain that the part was played by a straight Gentile whose name was...Claudia "Christian"? Nope. They just loved the hell out of Babylon 5 (as did I) because it was an almost perfect space opera.

What a difference 20 years makes. And the only things that are different? Social media,and Trump being in office. Both seem to drive people into bouts of inanity and insanity.

Mic dropped.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

"SUSAN IVANOVA"
yeah loved when she murdered the shadow infested earth fleet with a fleet of white stars. "God has sent me to punish you".
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I love the Ruby Rose interview, she seems so genuine and honest and amazingly beautiful and sexy! I really really hope they do the costume right, because she is going to rock that character!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Ruby Rose gets overwhelmed by emotion having accepted the part of Batwoman. Very cool. She is gorgeous on the Fallon show. I'm almost crying with her, you can really feel the happiness.

I just thought of why the Tumblr kooks who are criticizing her for not being Jewish or gay enough to play Kathy Kane are the biggest idiots in the recent
celebrity news cycle.

SUSAN IVANOVA.

One of the major characters of Babylon 5. Beautiful and strong character. Demonstrably Jewish, definitively bisexual. One of the most admired heroines of science fiction TV. And did anyone complain that the part was played by a straight Gentile whose name was...Claudia "Christian"? Nope. They just loved the hell out of Babylon 5 (as did I) because it was an almost perfect space opera.

What a difference 20 years makes. And the only things that are different? Social media,and Trump being in office. Both seem to drive people into bouts of inanity and insanity.

Mic dropped.

Ivanova was one of the better things about the show.

Note to Star Trek and DW you have never had a Jewish or Israeli character or companion
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Note to Star Trek and DW you have never had a Jewish or Israeli character or companion
Dazzle is Jeremy Corbyn

AICM £5
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

These knobs do know its called 'acting ', right? You dont have to be a murderer in real life to play a murderer on screen. Wtf is wrong with people?
Jack Whitehall is getting it now because he is a straight guy playing Disneys first openly gay character. Its ACTING who gives a toss what religion or sexuality you are, just act. Rubbish Jack Whitehall because he's annoying not because he's straight.
Last edited by tallyho 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

They need coaches! I am a really good INSTRUCTOR!!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
These knobs do know its called 'acting ', right? You dont have to be a murderer in real life to play a murderer on screen. Wtf is wrong with people?
Jack Whitehall is getting it now because he is a straight guy playing Disneys first openly gay character. Its ACTING who gives a toss what religion or sexuality you are, just act. Rubbish Jack Whitehall because he's annoying not because he's straight.
There is a population of 70 million in the UK but 30 odd wackos on twitter create the impression that this is a thing when in fact the outrage is statistically insignificant and well below the numbers of blue rinse brigade who'll phone up points of view complaining that this was on instead of fucking bargain hunt.

I think what 5000 years of civilization has proved time and time again is that people who believe things are just dicks.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle is Jeremy Corbyn

AICM £5
Why would a proud Zionist and capitalist be Corbyn

He wants my race exterminated
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago

Yeah don't some gay actors play straight characters? I remember the guy who played Sentinel was gay in real life. The guy who played the first Flash was gay in real life. Rock Hudson played loads of straight roles including Macmillan and Wife.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle is Jeremy Corbyn

AICM £5
Why would a proud Zionist and capitalist be Corbyn

He wants my race exterminated
Yes Corbyn quite does - cozies up to Hamas and Hezbollah. But that's off topic.
Jews are somewhat on topic being that Batwoman is one of more prominent Jewish characters in the DCU.

Dazzle is right, nary a Jew on Star Trek. But there was someone close - Theodore Bikel and his wife, I think they were called the Rozhenkos.
They were Worf's adopted Russian parents and they fawned on him heavily, might as well have been Jewish.

BTW, Theodore Bikel is notable for having been on both Star Trek and Babylon 5. On B5 he played Susan Ivanova's rabbi, Rabbi Koslov. Who
I believe was supposed to be a friend of her father. So there were two Jewish characters on Babylon 5. Straczynski is pretty great overall in most of the things he's created.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Of course two of the most important actors in the history of the show are Jewish: Shatner and Nimoy
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Lets just steer away from the rocks of a wider discussion on religion and just stick to BW talk please fellas.
And no one has overstepped the mark, this is just an 'on topic' steer

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
Lets just steer away from the rocks of a wider discussion on religion and just stick to BW talk please fellas.
And no one has overstepped the mark, this is just an 'on topic' steer
OK back to the original question.

How do they incorporate a Gotham character in without taking over the show.

In TV, Movies or animated features other than a few of the early Justice League/Superfriends; Batman become the focused character just as Nightwing or Robin does in Young Justice and Titans
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I just learned that batwoman's alter ego is "Kate Kane". Ruby Rose also has alliterative 4-letter names, which pleases me greatly.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

While I think Ruby Rose is great, the main thing is she...IMO...simply cannot act. I can't remember one film she's been in where I was like "Wow, she's a decent actress." Maybe John Wick 2, but that's because she played a deaf character and didn't talk the entire time. Oddly enough I still think she is a cool person and looks-wise she can certainly be Kate, just the last few movies she's been in she's been largely forgettable.
shevek
Producer
Producer

ivandobsky wrote:
5 years ago
I just learned that batwoman's alter ego is "Kate Kane". Ruby Rose also has alliterative 4-letter names, which pleases me greatly.
Yes, and no doubt named after Batman co-creator Bob Kane, who, like many of the early comics greats, was under his original name, Kahn...uh...a member of a certain ethno-religious group. Another member of said ethnicity, Sheldon Moldoff, created not only the original Bat-Woman of the 1950s
but also the original Bat-Girl (Betty Kane, now known as Flamebird, and check her super sexy outfit), Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Bat-Mite and more. And Sheldon is still alive and well at 91, retired in the native homeland of the Alteh Kackers: Fort Lauderdale. Would love to visit him, he reminds me of my grandfather.

But I don't want to digress..... :)
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

There's a picture kicking around Twitter of Ruby in the new costume. She looks great, I'm not such a huge fan of the costume, but could be good.
scwank
Henchman
Henchman

Here's the pic. Looks great.
bw.jpg
bw.jpg (366.41 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Looks pretty legit to me.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

See I think she looks amazing, I just would have preferred a shinier, less textured costume. But I mean I could literally say that about most costumes in most shows. Shiny make people happy it's science.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
5 years ago
See I think she looks amazing, I just would have preferred a shinier, less textured costume. But I mean I could literally say that about most costumes in most shows. Shiny make people happy it's science.
I actually like a bit of texture, but I also adore shiny so... I think we're probably lucky it's as tight fitting as it is. All things considered I'd say its about as good as it can realistically be.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well its one way of covering up the tats I suppose. As its just a representation of her in the suit do we know if that is the official costume or just someones stab at it?

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

My God!!! She is purrrrfect! I do wish it was the tighter and shinier costume too but she looks incredible, my new idol!!!
xxjimbob2000
Henchman
Henchman

It looks definitely pretty cool. I mean, it's no Kendra James Batwoman but I guess it will suffice...kidding. It does look great and definitely looks like it fits the style of the universe they are going for. I'm sure it will be great.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
Well its one way of covering up the tats I suppose. As its just a representation of her in the suit do we know if that is the official costume or just someones stab at it?
I think it's the actual one. Lot of websites are running with it as official.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Cheers Mr D

shevek
Producer
Producer

Batgirl1969 I'm sure cannot wait until Ruby Rose makes out with another beautiful woman while in this great costume*. Neither can I.

Birds of a feather!

*Renee Montoya maybe? She's already been portrayed in Gotham, and will be played by Rosie Perez in Birds of Prey, so would it seem unlikely for a third actress to take up that role on the CW?
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

The Batwoman suit looks really good! Also for those above who were discussing tattoos, Kate Kane has a few tattoos and they have been showcased several times in the comics.
stationk
Henchman
Henchman

Ruby Rose is the perfect choice for the character.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Batgirl1969 I'm sure cannot wait until Ruby Rose makes out with another beautiful woman while in this great costume*. Neither can I.

Birds of a feather!

*Renee Montoya maybe? She's already been portrayed in Gotham, and will be played by Rosie Perez in Birds of Prey, so would it seem unlikely for a third actress to take up that role on the CW?
I really want to see her with a hot blonde!! We took my new suit to Dragoncon and it was.....pretty popular....and my girlfriend is blomde so we would LOVE to see that in this show, I LUV Ruby!!! This show has so many opportu ities!!
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

A really great mask/cowl! The moment she hits the screen….I will be very…..excited! 😉
I love how it really covers her face. Even a little more then in the comics. :-)
A really good mask that actually would allow a secret identity.

The costume is ok, more practical than sexy. Had hoped for some leather or even rubber…but well, that wasn’t very likely if you know the costumes of these 3 shows....

In regarding of a nice unmasking scene:
Of course it is not guaranteed that there will be a good unmasking. Perhaps Supergirl or Flash use their speed to unmask her to find out who she is. Or most likely Batwoman will trust them and unmask herself.

But whatever happens, every second with her on-screen will be really great (for me)!

Here is my full (short) article on Batwoman:
https://maskripper.org/batwoman-in-the-arrowverse-1
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

DqeMyiqWsAAkzjY.jpeg
DqeMyiqWsAAkzjY.jpeg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 4597 times

ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

I call hand check on BW!!!
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

And a 2nd picture from yesterday (happy day!):

Let me express my feelings about these pictures and the upcoming crossover this way:

:yahoo: :w00t: :w00t: :thumbup:

A woman with a real mask on TV!
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well its one way of covering up her tats. Perhaps she can wear it all the time even when she's Kate Kane, - she can be permanently going to fancy dress parties. I wished they had gone for a more natural red hair colour. I understand why its the shock of red in the comics as something more natural just comes over as off-brown and its a totally visual medium, so you go for bright to catch the eye, but would have preferred a more natural red head look to it on TV. Suit looks good. If she's learned to act since The Meg then it might be decent. Constantly portraying 'attitude' in every scenario you act in wears a bit thin when 90% of the time its not called for.

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I LOVE Ruby!!! And from the look on Supergirls face....it looks like she is going to love her too....hey, where is Ruby's hand??????
stationk
Henchman
Henchman

batgirl1969 wrote:
5 years ago
I LOVE Ruby!!! And from the look on Supergirls face....it looks like she is going to love her too....hey, where is Ruby's hand??????
I look forward to the crossover and while I think BW will fall for Alex (or the other way around) she could try a hint or two on Kara.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ksire_99 wrote:
5 years ago
I call hand check on BW!!!
To be fair the hands and arms "crossover" goes both ways, but heck, yeah, a tech-armed BW with some Kryptonite to unmask Kara Danvers and SG would be frikkin epic ... now ... how could I comic that?
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Yes, it's almost got to be a Kate Kane - Alex Danvers dalliance. With her newish haircut, Alex is the relative butch to Kate's femme. No matter how much batgirl1969 would rather it be otherwise. But that doesn't mean Kate can't make passes at the girl who wears glasses.

Nonetheless, this looks great. As far as 'masked women on TV', this is almost Black Scorpion level hotness. If there are knockdown martial-arts fights where Batwoman's costume gets tested and stretched in strenuous battle (something Benoist doesn't really get to do), hoo-ee, watch out. I'm 100% on board so far!
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I am willing to bet something that Kate makes a move on Supergirl or Kara or at the least makes sexual enuendos to her.....it has to happen!!
Melissa is so beautiful, what Bi/lesbian woman wouldn't want to make love to such an amazing goddess.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hmmmm look what i just found!!! Looks awesome! Maybe setting them up for an accidental 69!! And look where Supergirl has her eyes focused!
Attachments
20181029_074854.png
20181029_074854.png (3.98 MiB) Viewed 4453 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Reckon she's using her heat vision to make her hot down there BG69?

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
5 years ago
Hmmmm look what i just found!!! Looks awesome! Maybe setting them up for an accidental 69!! And look where Supergirl has her eyes focused!
tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
Reckon she's using her heat vision to make her hot down there BG69?
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!