"Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgi ... 202018544/
Batgirl is flying solo. The superheroine is getting her own standalone movie from filmmaker Joss Whedon.

Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce an untitled Batgirl pic for Warner Bros. as part of its DC Extended Universe.

No other producers are currently attached. Toby Emmerich, president and chief content officer of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, is overseeing with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns. The new project originated in the past month.
Last edited by Nykron 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
ltrltr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Batgirl1969 for the lead role?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Lets hope its a cutie in a hot costume rather than the appalling thing they made Palicki wear.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
LadySapphire

Yes just yes. <3 Perfect choice for director too.
LadySapphire

ltrltr wrote:Batgirl1969 for the lead role?
seconded
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Joss Whedon is doing a DC movie? Didn't he direct the first two Avengers movies? Isn't he a Marvel guy? Won't this cause some kind of rip in the space-time continuum!?! It would be like if the same guy produced both Star Trek and Star Wars... hey, wait a minute!
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Given Whedon's history with super hotties like Eliza Dushku (The DollHouse) and Summer Glau (FireFly), I think this could be really good news. :)
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

To make this work, they need to give her an adversary not used before:

Like Lady Shiva, they can't reuse any of the Burton or Bolan ones.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Let's hope Whedon sticks around long enough to actually make the movie. WB has installed a revolving door for DCEU directors in recent months.

It's great news that things are finally moving on a Batgirl movie. As an added bonus, J.K. Simmons is practically guaranteed to be in the supporting cast.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:To make this work, they need to give her an adversary not used before:

Like Lady Shiva, they can't reuse any of the Burton or Bolan ones.
I don't remember seeing Metal Guru or Electric Warrior in a DC film.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:As an added bonus, J.K. Simmons is practically guaranteed to be in the supporting cast.
Why's that? Is he in a lot of Whedon movies? I never noticed.
Considering that he's currently playing J. Jonah Jameson in Spiderman, that might be kinda weird to see him in a DC movie. On the other hand, I guess that didn't stop Morena Baccarin from starring in both Gotham and Deadpool. :)
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

TIEnTEEZ wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:As an added bonus, J.K. Simmons is practically guaranteed to be in the supporting cast.
Why's that? Is he in a lot of Whedon movies? I never noticed.
Considering that he's currently playing J. Jonah Jameson in Spiderman, that might be kinda weird to see him in a DC movie. On the other hand, I guess that didn't stop Morena Baccarin from starring in both Gotham and Deadpool. :)
He's Commissioner Gordon in Justice League and is contracted to appear in other DCEU movies. He hasn't been J. Jonah Jameson since the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies ended, ten years ago.
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

Imagine an unmasking scene :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ricky1989 wrote:Imagine an unmasking scene :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I second this motion!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

*Log slow inhale of breath* Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
shevek
Producer
Producer

As long as it isn't that totally de-sexed, hipster bullshit that's the most recent iteration of Batgirl (the Burnside one).

I bought the Fray graphic novel, and he wrote a pretty detailed rant against objectification in the preface with regards to how he portrated the Fray character. But that was 2001..I sincerely hope he has loosened up since then. We need something better than what we got with Alicia Silverstone.

I kind of wish this wouldn't stand alone, though, and that it would somehow tie in storywise with Gotham City Sirens so we could see Harley, Ivy, Catwoman and Batgirl in one film. I also think it would be great if Joss turned it into a Birds of Prey movie so Huntress and Black Canary could come along for the ride.

But even if it's just Barbara Gordon vs, say Lady Shiva (she's the deadliest fighter possible..but I also wouldn't mind seeing some nice diabolical eyecandy like, say, Velvet Tiger, Magpie or White Rabbit) that would still be amazing just as long as she isn't a damn t**nage Mary Sue fighting in a dark jacket and Doc Martens.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It really depends on where they take the story from on how bad it becomes. We mostly grew up on the Yvonne Craig version and the comics from that era that has decent possibilities. Don't forget WB approved the Killing Joke version for the animated movie.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Not a huge Whedon fan but this at least would be a return to what he does best and he is a gigantic upgrade on the hacks who have been doing the DCEU so far.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

LadySapphire wrote:
seconded

Thirded.

Batgirl1969, please come to the while courtesy phone.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So will Batgirl be in it?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:It really depends on where they take the story from on how bad it becomes. We mostly grew up on the Yvonne Craig version and the comics from that era that has decent possibilities. Don't forget WB approved the Killing Joke version for the animated movie.
Yeah we won't get that. For better or worse, the 1960's are over. The best we can hope for is the semi-classic yellow on black 'batarmor' and pray to whatever gods we believe in that they just don't use the doofey 'selfie' Batgirl that's currently running around. Joss Whedon doesn't seem the Selfie type to me though... so we'll see.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

It won't be the Burnside Batgirl.

http://www.superheroineforum.com/batgir ... directing/

What's funny is some guy that owns a comic book shop wrote in the comments of another article begging for DC to NOT use the Burnside version since it was his worst selling of all Batgirl versions.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Ah sorry, I should have read until the very end of that piece. Simone's 2011-ish return to Batgirl is very good..the first two TPBs introduce Gretel and Knightfall. Gretel would be an awesome villainess especially with her mind-control power. (Christina Carter's Batgirl vs Gretel vids were awesome btw)

I wonder if the terribly-drawn rock-singer Black Canary (in which terrible Burnside Batgirl makes an appearance fighting a hipster villain called Mad Wax who literally steals vinyl records) is doing just as badly in the sales dept for this particular comic shop. I just read the second Black Canary tpb (took it out from the library) and even though she is depicted in hot outfits some of the time, the art is simply horrendous, especially compared to the way Dinah used to be drawn in the Birds of Prey heyday. And the story about the immortal demon who's a singer for a washed-up 80s band is dumb.

Anyway..back to topic...where's that article about that comic book shop, MH, if I may ask?
Last edited by shevek 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

While Batgirl of Burnside would be too light (with the selfie crap and bizarre product placement for Doc Martens), I hope they don't go too far into grimdark buttrape territory with endless flashbacks of the new gangsta pimp version of the Joker.

If Jared Leto is going to do the same shit again, he can fuck right off. Wacky Pissjar Luthor can fuck off too.

Leto is usually a good actor. If they are going to bring him back for a Killing Joke-style backstory, Whedon should be able to get a decent performance out of him. They just need to ignore the Suicide Squad blingtwat and have the Joker pick another personality.

It is kind of annoying that so much of the new Bat mythology is being told, rather than shown. Such as the murder of Robin (Jason Todd?), the burning of Wayne Manor and - if they're going down the New 52 route - the temporary crippling of Batgirl. There's no sense of urgency if the dramatic stuff has already happened in the past. SHOW, DON'T TELL!
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I heard Lindsey Morgan is linked with the role. Also heard it's based on the Gail Simone comics. No idea which ones. They need to get way the hell away from the DCEU infected turdpile though.

I'd expect that'll be the case though, can't imagine the little cabal of idiots currently writing/directing the DCEU will want the guy who styled on them with Marvel's B-List coming over and humiliating them again.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well...I think if I was Offered that role..HELL yes I would do that....don't think my family would disown me for that kinda movie!!!
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

batgirl1969 wrote:

Well...I think if I was Offered that role..HELL yes I would do that....don't think my family would disown me for that kinda movie!!!
Especially with how much money you'd make.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

If they want to do the whole killing joke backstory the villain could be that 'mirror' dude as well....

I just kind of hope they don't... To much is made of the Killing Joke and DC movies need to get their minds out of the tinted camera lens... then again it IS a 'Bat'verse film... guh.

I don't know, maybe a 'recovering from paralysis' Batgirl could still work if it just keeps focus on the optimism of recovery over dwelling on the drudgery of being shot by the joker.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

While the Burnside version of Batgirl may have a shitty costume and cunty artwork, the one thing it has going for it is that it has moved on from The Killing Joke.

The Gail Simone run on Batgirl seemed like someone's fanfic sequel to The Killing Joke. Always referencing the earlier work, rather than finding its own voice. Now we also have that disjointed animated TKJ movie and there's a good chance elements of TKJ will show up in the live action Batgirl movie. I mean it was an okay graphic novel in 1988, but DC seems obsessed with it.

Along with the shenanigans surrounding the Watchmen rights, DC is doing a lot of distasteful posturing over how they own a piece of Alan Moore and they're never letting it go.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

we'll end up with Catwoman
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I would have no problem with Batgirl taking on Cat Woman in the proposed movie.
CrimsonMaster
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

I hope this movie does happen. I'd love to see what Whedon does with the character. Batgirl has always been a favorite of mine. :spidey:
wondergirlsupragirl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

A beautiful Batgirl kicking ass in her own action packed movie, I would love to see that!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

viking wrote:I would have no problem with Batgirl taking on Cat Woman in the proposed movie.
Problem I have is that Cat Woman is Batman's foe or love interest.

One problem Arrow had is that they took villians like Deathstroke and Ras al Ghul who belonged to other DC heroes
CrimsonMaster
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Dazzle1 wrote:
viking wrote:I would have no problem with Batgirl taking on Cat Woman in the proposed movie.
Problem I have is that Cat Woman is Batman's foe or love interest.

One problem Arrow had is that they took villians like Deathstroke and Ras al Ghul who belonged to other DC heroes
This is true. It seems they wanted to make Arrow, a tv Batman. DC has had a problem in the past, using their big characters on television. Batman and Superman are seen as their money makers. They can make more money by making movies about them. I was happy when they brought Superman onto Supergirl. Maybe they've changed their minds? Can't say for sure until Batman appears on tv. I know they have the show Gotham on tv. But, I don't see that as anything more then a show for characters like Jim Gordon.
:spidey:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It may also be about licensing fees. A fair amount of the Supergirl budget goes to licensing fees.
CrimsonMaster
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Mr. X wrote:It may also be about licensing fees. A fair amount of the Supergirl budget goes to licensing fees.
You are correct. Licensing fees is part of the reason why we don't see Batman on tv. I have nothing against DC making money on their characters. They have very right in the world. I do wish they weren't so stringent about the use of Batman. I think the fans would love to see a version of Batman on tv. I know I would. :spidey:
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

CrimsonMaster wrote:
Mr. X wrote:It may also be about licensing fees. A fair amount of the Supergirl budget goes to licensing fees.
You are correct. Licensing fees is part of the reason why we don't see Batman on tv. I have nothing against DC making money on their characters. They have very right in the world. I do wish they weren't so stringent about the use of Batman. I think the fans would love to see a version of Batman on tv. I know I would. :spidey:
The thing is as well that superhero stuff works on TV much better than movies. You can do villain of the week, you can do a longer arc, you can do a shorter arc, whatever the writers like. In a movie you've got to go by the numbers with the three act save-the-cat structure and then the villain dies. It only works for so long.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
The thing is as well that superhero stuff works on TV much better than movies. You can do villain of the week, you can do a longer arc, you can do a shorter arc, whatever the writers like. In a movie you've got to go by the numbers with the three act save-the-cat structure and then the villain dies. It only works for so long.
TV doesn't gross $1 billion in revenue.
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

Sounds like a done deal per the IMDB, I still insist the DCU women work better on TV over the long haul, but Whedon is a proven performer so if anyone can get this done right, its him.

JF
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
Dogfish wrote:
True. But I would argue the long game pays out more, as evidenced by how Marvel do things.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
Dogfish wrote:
A single show doesn't gross $1 billion. However, DC's combined shows brought in $1 billion last year.

http://screenrant.com/dc-tv-warner-bros ... n-dollars/

When you compare that to last year's combined gross for BvS and Suicide Squad, which was somewhere in the region of 1.6 billion, the TV shows are a substantial part of DC Entertainment's revenue.

Of course, we don't have a breakdown of how much of that TV revenue is net profit. However, as broadcasters do a lot of their own promotions in house, there's a good chance that TV is more profitable. With the huge marketing costs for these sort of movies, BvS's net profit was pretty slim.

The performance of DC's TV shows is pretty impressive when you consider that they only have access to prequel non-costumed versions of the Batman characters and very limited access to Superman.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

No to Batgirl 1969. Although she's adorable, to acknowledge the Adam West era Batgirl in purple is to also say that somewhere out there in Gotham there's also an Adam West styled Batman running around. Nope. Nope nope nope!
CrimsonMaster
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

As far as television, I think DC has done a fantastic job. Marvel hasn't done as well. I have enjoyed their shows on Netflix. Agents of Shield could have started better, but their current season has been pretty good. I feel DC tried to hard with BvS. They did better with Suicide Squad, and I think Wonder Woman will do well. But, I feel Marvel has the edge in movies. They've got the magic touch with their current formula. :spidey:
Last edited by CrimsonMaster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonMaster
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Shakeshift wrote:No to Batgirl 1969. Although she's adorable, to acknowledge the Adam West era Batgirl in purple is to also say that somewhere out there in Gotham there's also an Adam West styled Batman running around. Nope. Nope nope nope!
I can understand why you feel this way. However, I grew up with a huge crush on Yvonne Craig in that purple outfit. Fueled many of my fantasies for a very long time. :spidey:
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shakeshift wrote:No to Batgirl 1969. Although she's adorable, to acknowledge the Adam West era Batgirl in purple is to also say that somewhere out there in Gotham there's also an Adam West styled Batman running around. Nope. Nope nope nope!
I think the suggestion was for the forum member batgirl1969, not a replica of the Yvonne Craig version.

Obviously, the DCEU has its head stuck way too far up its own asshole with dark brooding and quasi-religious philosophy to allow for brightly-colored adventure. There may still be a place for camp in live action, though. Probably on TV. Powerless is nearly there, but a lot of the comedy on that show falls flat.

Doing camp right is extremely difficult. The 1960s Batman was like catching lightning in a bottle. If you've ever seen the same production team's 1967 attempt at a Wonder Woman pilot, it's clear that even the grand masters of camp seriously misjudged the comedy on that occasion.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

That WW pilot is never to be mentioned on this forum again. Please.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
MutantFiend
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

CrimsonMaster wrote:As far as television, I think DC has done a fantastic job. Marvel hasn't done as well. I have enjoyed their shows on Netflix. Agents of Shield could have started better, but their current season has been pretty good. I feel DC tried to hard with BvS. They did better with Suicide Squad, and I think Wonder Woman will do well. But, I feel Marvel has the edge in movies. They've got the magic touch with their current formula. :spidey:
Agreed. As far as heroines, Marvel killed it with Jessica Jones. I love the Supergirl series so far. I think I'd rather see a Batgirl TV series, but we'll see how good this movie turns out.