New Style - Technical Help Forum

Have a problem with the forum? get support here!
admin

Thank you, LeadPoison! I think we're getting there.

I wanted to clarify, PM's are being sent out, but we are still looking for the rogue code that isn't allowing notification emails to be sent. I am sure we'll get it soon.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Just a suggestion: in the latest posts section that lists the latest posts, would be great to add that little icon that takes you to the latest post in that thread. Right now the only option is to click on thread title which goes to threads first post.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

theScribbler wrote:Just a suggestion: in the latest posts section that lists the latest posts, would be great to add that little icon that takes you to the latest post in that thread. Right now the only option is to click on thread title which goes to threads first post.

Very good suggestion. I will add that.
admin

I believe the issues with email notifications has been fixed. Please let me know if that is not the case.

MH
Diana Knight
Producer
Producer

I love it. Cleaner. Easier to find things. Good job!
ENTER MY REALM!!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I'm not sure what happened but suddenly the number of readers of a posted story or thread topic is no longer being shown on my screen. What happened?
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

DrDominator9 wrote:I'm not sure what happened but suddenly the number of readers of a posted story or thread topic is no longer being shown on my screen. What happened?

Ahh I think you mean in the mobile mode?
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

No, I mean I can't see it on my desktop computer. No number of views oval is shown.

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Solved the problem by deleting and reloading my browser. A bug on my end. Thanks.

Now if you can help me by splitting my story into a second page on the newly posted Part 17, I'd much appreciate it. Or let me know how I can do it myself in the future if need be. Thanks so much.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

MightyHypnotic wrote:What OS and browser? Can you post a screen shot?

Anyone else having this problem?
I still cant see number of views on my mobile but I am assuming it's still something you are looking into. (Just saying in case you thought it too was fixed)

I'm warming too it more since you've made some of the changes MH, it's getting there.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hear you. I am looking into it. As I get more familiar with this style I am able to make better changes, I'm constantly updating it. But as long as it's useable right now, I'll get there. There's only so much time I can devote to it per week.
admin

theScribbler wrote:Just a suggestion: in the latest posts section that lists the latest posts, would be great to add that little icon that takes you to the latest post in that thread. Right now the only option is to click on thread title which goes to threads first post.
I haven't set up the icon yet, but if you click on the link in the "Latest Posts" section, it will now take you to the newest post. Or the latest UNREAD post. I think that will suffice for now.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Just a heads up to other members - I received topic reply notifications and email notificationsbut they were getting classed as Spam so check your spam folders if you think you aren't receiving the automatic responses from the forum. Obvious I know, but I hadn't thought to check.
:blush:

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't find any reference. What's the meaning of the symbols near topic titles? I noticed some topics have a star in the upper left, while others have something that looks like a flame in the lower right. :huh:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ezekiel wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't find any reference. What's the meaning of the symbols near topic titles? I noticed some topics have a star in the upper left, while others have something that looks like a flame in the lower right. :huh:
I most forums the poster can actually put an icon icon on their post. I put a green smiley face
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I don't think it's that. I attached a photo with what I mean: in the red circle you can see a little icon that looks like flame. Only some topics have it. What is its significance? Other topics (not shown in the pic) have a star in the opposite corner. What does that mean?
Attachments
icon.png
icon.png (104.3 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I don't know but I'd always just assumed the flame meant it was a hot topic - I don't know the criteria but a post on it today or in the last X hours etc, something like that. The dot I think you mean indicates topics you have posted against, but I don't know just a best guess. No idea about any other symbols.

Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Yeah, I was thinking about the flame meaning "hot topic" as well. As for the star, I was hoping it would be a Medal of Excellence or something, but I don't think it's the case. :laugh:
Void
Sargeant
Sargeant

I think the flame indicates that there is more than 20 posts in the thread (so I guess marking it out as a popular or active thread), while the star just helps you spot the threads that you have posted in. I don't know that for sure, but it adds up... I think.
Lost in the night, and there is no morning.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

The flame indicates a hot topic, which I always thought was a little redundant, since you can already tell that by the replies and views. The star means it's a global topic, which means it can be seen from any forum.

I believe the DOT is the one that tells you which topics you've posted in but I will check to make sure... Admittedly, I don't really know that one :)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Hi MH, did you guys get anywhere with making the numbers of views visible on the mobile (cell) phone version? I can see the number of replies but not views and as a writer that's the key to seeing how well a post is going down. The number of replies are irrelevant really as the read/ unread marker tells you if there is anything new to read.
If it's proving difficult to solve perhaps, if you swapped the order the replies and views are shown in then the views might be visible? I can live without knowing the number of replies but the number of views I use as a yardstick for when a story post is going well and another is due. Swapping the order might do the trick? Just a thought.

Cheers
T.

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I'm not sure what's going on MH but the number of views number has suddenly begun totalling very, very high numbers over the past few days. Did you guys start counting eyeballs on mobiles or anything else differently. I find it odd that the numbers jumped over 1200 readers in one day for my posting. What's up with that. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) : )

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

DrDominator9 wrote:I'm not sure what's going on MH but the number of views number has suddenly begun totalling very, very high numbers over the past few days. Did you guys start counting eyeballs on mobiles or anything else differently. I find it odd that the numbers jumped over 1200 readers in one day for my posting. What's up with that. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) : )
Maybe Joe Public just realized how good you are Doc?
:thumbup:

I had a similar jump of 2000 in a week about a year back but it coincided with the most users on the board ever, 1500 in a day, so i just chalked it up to my outstanding talent , rugged good looks and amazing modesty. Dont ruin it for me by pointing out its a glitch!
;)

Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Hey, 3/4 of the views are probably from random bots scanning the interwebs. Either that, or this IS the planet of perverts. :)
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can probably swap out the order of views/replies if you guys think that views are more important to view on a mobile device. I can also see if I can figure out how to get both numbers on the screen at the same time. That shouldn't be too difficult.
DrDominator9 wrote:I'm not sure what's going on MH but the number of views number has suddenly begun totalling very, very high numbers over the past few days. Did you guys start counting eyeballs on mobiles or anything else differently. I find it odd that the numbers jumped over 1200 readers in one day for my posting. What's up with that. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) : )
It's a good question. Sometimes I think it's a combination of twitter, facebook, bots and users all at the same time.

I see it on the admin end where I won't have to approve a comment for almost a week and then one day there will be 10 new users posting. So it's possible that a tweet or facebook post might bring visitors around, there could be a bot-fest that week and also the ever present spam-bots that try to make their way into our forum.

But, like the others, I'm going with the thought that it's outstanding content and talent that is bringing viewers from far, wide and deep to our little corner of the genre :)
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

MH -- Thanks for the quick feedback on the views. One final question: Who determines whether to go to a second page on a thread? Can it be the author? My story is very long and I think a second page would help readers from having to scroll more than they'd like. If it's the author rather than the admin, can you advise me how to achieve it? If it's in your or another admin's hands, then can you please give me a second page starting with my most recent posting? Thanks ahead of time.

Renegade
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Oddly, the "view first unread post" button doesn't work for me on this thread. Only this thread.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Renegade wrote:Oddly, the "view first unread post" button doesn't work for me on this thread. Only this thread.
I think that's because this thread always shows up on the list, even when there are no new posts in it. So when you click on that link and there are no new posts in the thread, it takes you to the top of the thread.

Why this thread shows up on the list of new posts when there aren't any is something of a mystery, but I think it's because this thread is marked stickied, or something similar, so it always displays. It might be intentionally. It's the same with the Best of 2013 thread.
admin

This and the BEst of 2013 are global topics so they show up everywhere. I am not sure how the recent posts link affects it, I will have to look.

ALSO,

The star in the right hand corner denotes a thread you posted in. If it's blue, it means there are unread posts there. If it's gray, then nothing new. Again, seems a little redundant. I might get around to changing those and making them 1) a little smaller, and a little more intuitive.
Wheelie915
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Is there a glitch in the site's coding?
Leadpoison
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Wheelie915 wrote:Is there a glitch in the site's coding?
I would imagine that's a yes, lol! "HALP!" :joker:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Forums really screwing up for me.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: Undefined index: user_type
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: Undefined index: user_type
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3922)
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:Forums really screwing up for me.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3922)
I was getting the same thing yesterday, but it seems okay today.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I was looking for some issues and had debug mode turned on. I was able to fix a few errors, but I didn't want to leave debug on for too long because it belches out tons of warnings as well as errors. Debug mode is off now.
flirty_but_nice
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I am trying to change my avatar by uploading a file from my computer. Everything seems fine, I choose the file and then submit, but then it just goes to a blank white page and nothing happens. Ergo, the desired avatar upload does not take effect. Help please. :)
xoxo
Jenn (aka Flirty)
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, this is a problem we are working on. Someone else had an issue with it as well.

I hope to have it fixed very soon.
mrestfla
Sargeant
Sargeant

I sent you an email. I can't log out. I get a blank page.
admin

Yep. I am probably going to work on it either tonight or tomorrow morning.
admin

Ok I think we got everything. Try and log out, load avatars, etc. If you are still having trouble report back here.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Any word on sorting out the lack of views on the mobile version? I can see replies .(rather oddly only when phone is vertical but dont worry about that) so a suggested cure was maybe to swap the order replies and views are shown, and show views first?

flirty_but_nice
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

admin wrote:Ok I think we got everything. Try and log out, load avatars, etc. If you are still having trouble report back here.
The avatar switch now worked for me. Thank you. :)
xoxo
Jenn (aka Flirty)
admin

tallyho wrote:Any word on sorting out the lack of views on the mobile version? I can see replies .(rather oddly only when phone is vertical but dont worry about that) so a suggested cure was maybe to swap the order replies and views are shown, and show views first?

I have to research that one a little more. It's trickier than it looks... I will have to do it at night when I can take down the board for an hour and make the changes.
admin

Hey everyone, I am going to lock this thread. For anyone who is still having issues, or if you are having a new issue, OR... if you'd like to make a request, create a new thread and your issue will be easier to track.