Elmer Fudd Disarmed

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Bert

Good Lord, hunting rabbits with a scythe is less violent than using a shotgun? That's just all kinds of creepy.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

the world has gone nucking futs.....Elmer Fudd...The Red moustache guy and whats next....no Puddy tat because a pussy eating a bird is too hardcore??? wow....did we wake up in the twilight zone?
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Good Lord, hunting rabbits with a scythe is less violent than using a shotgun? That's just all kinds of creepy.
My thoughts exactly, Bert! To me, the visual implications are far more dire in the mind of young kids then the shotgun. We live in dark times.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Watch the Looney Tunes platinum edition commentary track on a few episodes and they mention all the parts removed for television viewing because of excessive violence. Even modern entertainment considers how much blood should be shown to avoid an R rating.

Seriously I don't think the new episodes will be less violent, but just more gun control. Give it a year and some group will protest cartoon violence.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I wanted a few people to respond

One of my favorite scenes is when Bugs and Daffy go Elmer hunting
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

It's the end of civilisation as we know it. A man trying to feed himself becomes a deranged maniac with a scythe.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

And Bugs was so progressive to. Cross dresser, sexual ambiguity, kissing elmer.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Let's be fair, gun control in the cartoons isn't the problem.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
It's the end of civilisation as we know it. A man trying to feed himself becomes a deranged maniac with a scythe.
Elmer is a vegetarian.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

NOW he is. In 1937 you bet grannies teeth he wasn't

shevek
Producer
Producer

I have a feeling that a scythe is a progressive hipster weapon and we'll see more of it in the near future, including in horror films.

This month, in the Brian Azzarello/Emanuela Lupacchino OGN of Birds of Prey, one of the three Mexican supervillainess assassins wielded a scythe to lop people's heads off..and remember, artisanal beheading is the height of revolutionary chic even since those ISIS videos. If I'm not mistaken (and Maskripper may remember better than me), I'm also pretty sure Alice used a scythe in Batwoman.

Plus, it's only a small step away from a sickle, and you know how many of those were spraypainted on colonialist statues and memorials across the Western World in the past week or so. Harvesting blades are all the rage this year.

I've got a couple of steel sickles myself that I was eventually planning to incorporate into a horror-based supervillainess character called Guillotina, whose hands basically transform into living blades. Perhaps I should strike sooner than later, while the trend is hot.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
NOW he is. In 1937 you bet grannies teeth he wasn't
It's in that same cartoon when it becomes Elmer season (The things we remember)
Bugs and Daffy are reading recipies for the other and Elmer says sorry I am a vegetarian I hunt for sport

We can bet that won't be acceptible on HBO
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

He probably said wegietawian

Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Am surprised they bring these things back. I mean I get there's nostalgia but even the nostalgia is decades removed from the original cartoons being new. Kind of feels weird.

Also it's not like there's a shortage of new animation or a shortage of new talented cartoonists and voice actors. Why bring back Daffy and Bugs when a studio might be able to cook up the next Spongebob or Adventure Time?

Meh. I suppose it's all about maintaining the IP. If you don't use it you lose it.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Well WB released collections of the original series on DVD and Blu-ray, so they have an idea from sales which cartoons have an audience demand. It makes it easier for them to base decisions on what sold the most when they are risk adverse.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

"Doc" is NOT my preferred pronoun!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
3 years ago
Am surprised they bring these things back. I mean I get there's nostalgia but even the nostalgia is decades removed from the original cartoons being new. Kind of feels weird.

Also it's not like there's a shortage of new animation or a shortage of new talented cartoonists and voice actors. Why bring back Daffy and Bugs when a studio might be able to cook up the next Spongebob or Adventure Time?

Meh. I suppose it's all about maintaining the IP. If you don't use it you lose it.
Bugs is timeless

there are very few that stand the test of time: Bugs Flintstones and Simpsons
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

Bugs is timeless

there are very few that stand the test of time: Bugs Flintstones and Simpsons
I would add Tom and Jerry to that. The look of glee on Tom's face as he is about to run Jerry over with the train is brilliant ((then the bowling ball smashes through the floor and he plummets out of sight) or when Jerry freezes him with the fridge wiring and only his eyes can move. Fantastic stuff.

sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Remember the good old day when the best part of TV watching was seeing how the villain was going to kill the hero or heroine without a gun?
The Avengers
Batman
Man from UNCLE
Girl from UNCLE
Get Smart
Superman
Wild, Wild West
The Brady Bunch
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
Remember the good old day when the best part of TV watching was seeing how the villain was going to kill the hero or heroine without a gun?
The Avengers
Batman
Man from UNCLE
Girl from UNCLE
Get Smart
Superman
Wild, Wild West
The Brady Bunch
The Girl from UNCLE is the only one that hasn't had a movie remake or sequel made. Although not all the remakes or sequels were well done.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
The Avengers
Batman
Man from UNCLE
Girl from UNCLE
Get Smart
Superman
Wild, Wild West
The Brady Bunch
The Girl from UNCLE is the only one that hasn't had a movie remake or sequel made. Although not all the remakes or sequels were well done.
With the exception of Batman and maybe Superman, all those remakes were pretty bad in my opinion.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
The Avengers
Batman
Man from UNCLE
Girl from UNCLE
Get Smart
Superman
Wild, Wild West
The Brady Bunch
Girl from UNCLE would be a fun remake. Stephanie Powers was insanely cute and found her herself in a couple of entertaining situations. This was one of my all time favorites:
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
The Avengers
Batman
Man from UNCLE
Girl from UNCLE
Get Smart
Superman
Wild, Wild West
The Brady Bunch
With the exception of Batman and maybe Superman, all those remakes were pretty bad in my opinion.
It really depends on which Batman and Superman. Bat-nipples anyone?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
The Avengers
Batman
Man from UNCLE
Girl from UNCLE
Get Smart
Superman
Wild, Wild West
The Brady Bunch
Good point how about this The two Keaton ones.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The new Man From UNCLE movie is really good. I'm disappointed it didn't go anywhere but it definitely could have done, Alicia Vikander was set up nicely to have been the Girl From UNCLE if they had continued. I think she was better in this than she was in Tomb Raider.

I think it was a little late though. Should have been done twenty years ago, but we got Austin Powers instead.

It's like the difference between the early 2000s Charlie's Angels and the 2019 (was it?) one, one was like twenty years after the original show, but the more recent one was ballpark forty years, and nobody really gives a shit at that point, or not enough somebodies to make something a big deal. You can pop up with an IP often enough to keep ownership, but if you don't cultivate the fandom over the years you'll lose them.

This is probably why remaking Warner Brothers cartoons will be okay, because they've been remade over and over again already to the point they've never really gone anywhere.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

I enjoyed the Man from Uncle reboot. I have a soft spot for all things 60’s and spies. It was fun and the fashion sense was amazing. Apparently we aren’t the only ones wanting a sequel.
https://www.themarysue.com/man-from-uncle-2-please/

I am even planning on some Thunderball/Sea Hunt action this summer using a vintage 1960 scuba unit I have been working on.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

All that money some people spent on trying to ban guns and all they got was Elmer's gun.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
3 years ago
The new Man From UNCLE movie is really good. I'm disappointed it didn't go anywhere but it definitely could have done, Alicia Vikander was set up nicely to have been the Girl From UNCLE if they had continued. I think she was better in this than she was in Tomb Raider.

I think it was a little late though. Should have been done twenty years ago, but we got Austin Powers instead.

It's like the difference between the early 2000s Charlie's Angels and the 2019 (was it?) one, one was like twenty years after the original show, but the more recent one was ballpark forty years, and nobody really gives a shit at that point, or not enough somebodies to make something a big deal. You can pop up with an IP often enough to keep ownership, but if you don't cultivate the fandom over the years you'll lose them.

This is probably why remaking Warner Brothers cartoons will be okay, because they've been remade over and over again already to the point they've never really gone anywhere.
I thought the 2000s Charle Angels was very poor compared to the series. The TV Angels of (Fawcett, Smith Jackson and Ladd) were sexier and smarter
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
The Avengers
Batman
Man from UNCLE
Girl from UNCLE
Get Smart
Superman
Wild, Wild West
The Brady Bunch
One more and again where the TV version was far superior to the movie adaption:

Mission Impossible

Ethan Hunt is no Rollin Hand
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

Mission Impossible

Movie versions have the time and budget for stunts and now CGI action sequences that they couldn't do in 1960s TV series. However for most movie versions, they still don't have the good writers that used to make these shows great. Considering they usually have the script before filming, I wonder how many scripts are skimmed over to just read the good parts.

Another failure was the TV remake of Get Smart with the combination of bad writing and Andy Dick cast as the son of Max and 99 Smart. Only in the last few episodes before it got cancelled did it improve as they put greater emphasis on the original cast members of Max, 99, and Siegfried. Compare that to the TV movie sequel that used the original cast and followed that style. We all know the flaws of the "Nude Bomb" movie version.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

Mission Impossible

Movie versions have the time and budget for stunts and now CGI action sequences that they couldn't do in 1960s TV series. However for most movie versions, they still don't have the good writers that used to make these shows great. Considering they usually have the script before filming, I wonder how many scripts are skimmed over to just read the good parts.

Another failure was the TV remake of Get Smart with the combination of bad writing and Andy Dick cast as the son of Max and 99 Smart. Only in the last few episodes before it got cancelled did it improve as they put greater emphasis on the original cast members of Max, 99, and Siegfried. Compare that to the TV movie sequel that used the original cast and followed that style. We all know the flaws of the "Nude Bomb" movie version.
Andy Dick spelt doom for the reboot. The other problem was the writers you can’t beat Buck Henry and Mel Brooks at the helm. Finally, was the timing. The Cold War we’re good they’re bad innocence made it fun. They never thought about why they were fighting or needed to give any justification. Just vacuous fun. Much harder to do with modern sensibilities.

All these shows were produced in a vacuum. BatMan could man-splain to Batgirl. 99 let Max take credit for her ideas. April Dancer never worried about being groped at work, no gays (well, uncle Arthur on Bewitched), no races other than white. Today writing for TV is much more nuanced season long storytelling. Some get the old feeling, like The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, but rebooting old series is probably pretty difficult.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

Mission Impossible

Andy Dick spelt doom for the reboot. The other problem was the writers you can’t beat Buck Henry and Mel Brooks at the helm. Finally, was the timing. The Cold War we’re good they’re bad innocence made it fun. They never thought about why they were fighting or needed to give any justification. Just vacuous fun. Much harder to do with modern sensibilities.

All these shows were produced in a vacuum. BatMan could man-splain to Batgirl. 99 let Max take credit for her ideas. April Dancer never worried about being groped at work, no gays (well, uncle Arthur on Bewitched), no races other than white. Today writing for TV is much more nuanced season long storytelling. Some get the old feeling, like The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, but rebooting old series is probably pretty difficult.
One of the things about TV series vs movies with the same characters or name

I think you get more nuance on the TV

The Star Trek with Shatner and Nimoy is far more nuance and thought provoking than the movie Star trek reboot Abrams did

Likewise MI the series had a lot of subtle aspects and far better acting with almost no special effects

Highlander the series had much more complex stories than the movies
Granted you have episodes as opposed to 2-3.5 hours
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The other problem with remakes is most things on TV in the past was drek. It was just something. For some of you, you don't know a life in which all you had was 3 channels, 5 or 6 if you were in a large city like chicago. So you were stuck with anything tossed up on TV cause no alternatives. Some of these series would never have lasted (Happy Days) if there was the internet. So a remake of some old show maybe pointless cause the show wasn't good to begin with. Automan anyone?

This is one reason I feel sorry for millenials and zoomers. They never get anything new. Its all reheated corn beef hash.

As the saying goes - eskimos love blubber cause that's all they serve at the all you can eat arctic buffet.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
The other problem with remakes is most things on TV in the past was drek. It was just something. For some of you, you don't know a life in which all you had was 3 channels, 5 or 6 if you were in a large city like chicago. So you were stuck with anything tossed up on TV cause no alternatives. Some of these series would never have lasted (Happy Days) if there was the internet. So a remake of some old show maybe pointless cause the show wasn't good to begin with. Automan anyone?

This is one reason I feel sorry for millenials and zoomers. They never get anything new. Its all reheated corn beef hash.

As the saying goes - eskimos love blubber cause that's all they serve at the all you can eat arctic buffet.
Well most things in entertainment are drek.
But Happy Days until Ron Hoard left was much better than 95% of the comedys that we had in the last 1o year
Likewise the orginal Star Trek if you ignore the special effects is way better than the drivel of Discovery
The last real orginal thing TV came up with is the Original Law and Order concept, which had two different parts with two different leads.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

A lot of the problem was that TV in the 60s and 70s was episodic. Every episode was Ground hog day, they woke up oblivious to what happened yesterday each episode was completely self contained. The good part was the Hooded Claw would get three opportunities to kill Penelope Pitstop and in the last act a beautiful girl would betray Dr Lovelace and help James West. The TV show Hunter ran into trouble when the actress Playing Dee Dee was going to be raped a second time....

It was repetitive, but in a warm and fuzzy way, besides who could ever get tired of Catwoman (or anyone, really) of tying up Batgirl? The reboot movies are easy fodder because Daisy Duke still had her short-short and pointy titties (pretty much the only reason to watch). Does anyone remember the plot of the Charlie’s Angels Movie? Of coarse not. We want to see better than we could ever do women bouncing around on screen with guns, and cars.

As soon as you try to do a remake of something that had great writing, like Get Smart or Wild, Wild West, things get a lot tougher. Most of episodic TV was drek. Batman was successful because it had Avery distinctive style that had not been done before and gave free rein to some amazing actors to over do stuff they were famous for over doing. Where else were you going to see Victor Buono or Caesar Romero chew scenery like that? But after 3 seasons, the novelty was wearing off. BAtman and Robin tried to bring back the celebrity guest villain and is considered one of the worst movies ever made. It’s very hard to bottle lightening.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

Well most things in entertainment are drek.
But Happy Days until Ron Hoard left was much better than 95% of the comedys that we had in the last 1o year
Likewise the orginal Star Trek if you ignore the special effects is way better than the drivel of Discovery
The last real orginal thing TV came up with is the Original Law and Order concept, which had two different parts with two different leads.
The 70's were the golden age for television sitcoms.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
A lot of the problem was that TV in the 60s and 70s was episodic. Every episode was Ground hog day, they woke up oblivious to what happened yesterday each episode was completely self contained.
The shift happened when you have seasonal storylines about the time of "Hills Street Blue." This wasn't a bad idea, but it meant you now should pay attention to continuity. Too bad most writers and show runners don't worry about continuity. We've all had seen those failures in recent TV series.
Does anyone remember the plot of the Charlie’s Angels Movie? Of coarse not. We want to see better than we could ever do women bouncing around on screen with guns, and cars.
That was the reason it was called Jiggle TV. It wasn't meant to be well written or even have a real plot. It was brain candy or junk food.

I would like better for a remake or sequel besides using the name. Especially since some of these movies have enough time to get a decently written script. Look at how long WB had between wanting to do a Catwoman spin-off movie and the resulting flop. At least a few of these flops never made it past a failed script.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
A lot of the problem was that TV in the 60s and 70s was episodic. Every episode was Ground hog day, they woke up oblivious to what happened yesterday each episode was completely self contained.
The shift happened when you have seasonal storylines about the time of "Hills Street Blue." This wasn't a bad idea, but it meant you now should pay attention to continuity. Too bad most writers and show runners don't worry about continuity. We've all had seen those failures in recent TV series.
Does anyone remember the plot of the Charlie’s Angels Movie? Of coarse not. We want to see better than we could ever do women bouncing around on screen with guns, and cars.
That was the reason it was called Jiggle TV. It wasn't meant to be well written or even have a real plot. It was brain candy or junk food.

I would like better for a remake or sequel besides using the name. Especially since some of these movies have enough time to get a decently written script. Look at how long WB had between wanting to do a Catwoman spin-off movie and the resulting flop. At least a few of these flops never made it past a failed script.
You were really on the mark about Hill Street Blues being one of the first series to have serialized storylines. I think another heavy influencer of that serialized dynamic was the runaway success of the prime time soaps of that era that had carryover storylines from episode to episode, shows such as Dallas and Dynasty among others. I do miss those light hour long shows that had self contained story episodes such as the Love Boat, Fantasy Island, the Fall Guy, Dukes of Hazzard, the Incredible Hulk, and others. Light carefree fare that did not try to solve murders or try to solve one of many of life's mysteries or problems.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I don't think episodic shows are a problem, the problem with both type is execution.

As far as Angels remember it was not serious drama. But the women with the exception of the Tanya Roberts character were not bimbos.
Bert

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
The Good Life - Wildly original show.
The Wire - Telling a story from multiple viewpoints - very original.
After Life - Beautifully original story about dealing with loss.

This is the golden age of television. Sure, there's plenty of boring pablum for the masses - mostly in the form of fake "reality" programming - but that frees really talented people to develop great ideas that appeal to more niche audiences.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

This is the golden age of television. Sure, there's plenty of boring pablum for the masses - mostly in the form of fake "reality" programming - but that frees really talented people to develop great ideas that appeal to more niche audiences.
I loved the Wire, awesome show, excellent writing and acting. I am totally on board with you on some of these terrible, cheap to produce, reality shows. Yes, this is the golden era for television overall, but I would still take the seventies as the television sitcoms truly golden era. I have never seen the Good Life but I have heard a lot of good things about it.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

I loved the Wire, awesome show, excellent writing and acting. I am totally on board with you on some of these terrible, cheap to produce, reality shows. Yes, this is the golden era for television overall, but I would still take the seventies as the television sitcoms truly golden era. I have never seen the Good Life but I have heard a lot of good things about it.
When I said original, I meant the concept of having a show where you had 3 actors start the second group comes in a third of the way the last third the first group is mostly out of the story.
Bert

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
I would still take the seventies as the television sitcoms truly golden era.
There were some beauties. M.A.S.H., All In The Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, WKRP, Mork & Mindy...classics!
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
..... If I'm not mistaken (and Maskripper may remember better than me), I'm also pretty sure Alice used a scythe in Batwoman.
No, I don't think she did. After all what would you do with it? She is crazy, but not that kind of crazy. ;)
I remember Scarecrow with a scythe in some comic.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

One show that lasted even though they replaced everyone (literally) was Law and Order. Show still worked when it lost every single cast member over time.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
One show that lasted even though they replaced everyone (literally) was Law and Order. Show still worked when it lost every single cast member over time.
It did but Wolf made a big mistake when he moved Waterson to a supporting role.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Yes, I know the Law and Order franchise is one of the most successful and enduring franchises in television history with the numerous spinoff iterations of the franchise not to mention the length of years that this franchise has lasted with SVU still hanging on I think. Still, I frankly never seen the appeal of the series and I do not get why it has this loyal and consistent fanbase. These procedural dramas have never been something that have attracted me.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Like this genre, everyone has their own tastes.

I would say that they did have several fine actors Waterson,Orbach , Martin, Hennesey, I have a brain freeze on the female head of detectives real name etc

I wish Jack McKoy was the DA for Suffolk County MA
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Yes, I know the Law and Order franchise is one of the most successful and enduring franchises in television history with the numerous spinoff iterations of the franchise not to mention the length of years that this franchise has lasted with SVU still hanging on I think. Still, I frankly never seen the appeal of the series and I do not get why it has this loyal and consistent fanbase. These procedural dramas have never been something that have attracted me.
Lot of the time it's older folks. They watch a lot of TV, they have a thing that they like, and they'll watch it in huge numbers forever. See the same with things like Midsomer Murders in the UK.