Olivia Wilde to direct Spider-Woman, for Sony

General discussions about superheroines!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Variety.com: Olivia-Wilde-Marvel-Spider-Woman

Here's Grace's take on the news...

:spidey:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damn, forgot to open a topic about this one...
Well, every movie or TV show with a masked woman is highly welcome by me!
There are many different versions of Spider-Woman, I hope they choose wisely.
Of course I would prefer a version with a rather large, concealing mask, but I am afraid they choose the lame "let's show most of her pretty face" routine. :rolleyes: :thumbsdown:

Hopefully it won't get such a costume DESASTER like Birds of Prey where the costume designer and her crew is STILL not in jail (like they should be).

-
Haven't seen Booksmart the one big movie Olivia Wilde directed, don't know how good she is as a director.
I hope for the best!
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Hopefully the combination actress/costume will not be disappointing like the last 4581248 superheroines on screen...
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

helstar wrote:
3 years ago
Hopefully the combination actress/costume will not be disappointing like the last 4581248 superheroines on screen...
Wow, I don't know what you expect.... grinchstar ;)
OK, I admit some of them weren't good, but damn.... there were quite a lot that looked pretty great.
Depends on how you would define "superheroine", for me that would be only heroines with actual superpowers like Supergirl and not Batgirl for example.
Only 2 examples for superheroines:
But Wonder Woman for example was the last great combo, and that's not that long ago.... ;)
And Supergirl (season 1-4) would be fine example for the TV shows.

And if I include heroines/villainesses without powers....the list would get prettttty long.

-
Back to topic:
And yeah, the actress they choose for Spider-Girl must fit too off course.
Since it's too late to put any of my all-time favorites in that costume (Biel, Beckinsale) I hope they find a worthy actress.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Villain
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I hope Olivia isnt just directing but is playing the role of spiderwoman!
Damselbinder

Alas, it's pretty clear that she isn't.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It would be refreshing to see a Spiderwoman played with sex appeal, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
OK, I admit some of them weren't good, but damn.... there were quite a lot that looked pretty great.
I can only name Lynda Carter (WW), Michelle Lintel-Joan Severance (Black Scorpion), Olesya Rulin (Calista Secor-New Retrogirl), Erin Moriarty (Starlight)

All the others (several hundreds ?), I don't remember (not a good sign) and/or I actually don't like the costume, the actress or ... both :giggle:
shevek
Producer
Producer

helstar wrote:
3 years ago
Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
I can only name Lynda Carter (WW), Michelle Lintel-Joan Severance (Black Scorpion), Olesya Rulin (Calista Secor-New Retrogirl), Erin Moriarty (Starlight)

All the others (several hundreds ?), I don't remember (not a good sign) and/or I actually don't like the costume, the actress or ... both :giggle:
I appreciate your choices above very much (especially Powers, which everyone forgets about) but it's still a mite harsh. :)

Joanna Cameron (Isis), Brigitte Nielsen (Red Sonja), Lucy Lawless (Xena), Jessica Alba (Dark Angel), and of course Gal Gadot, Melissa Benoist and Brec Bassinger. Probably a couple more I'm forgetting. But then of course you did say a requirement was to "like the actress", so.....

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, which I'm very glad it came up. The Spider-Woman costume is the *best* Marvel superheroine costume. Period. It is a requirement that Spider-Woman wears the tight red costume and the face mask. Preferably she should be a brunette like the Jessica Drew character. Her appearance was already established on the 1970s cartoon. So if Spider-Man basically looks the same on screen as his 1960s cartoon (which he does) then Spider-Woman should be treatd with the same reverence. Anything less than those crucial elements moves the presentation into nonsensical Birds of Prey deconstructionism.

But as far as this movie, I'll believe it's happening when I see a Wikipedia page for it. Right now the only mention of a filmed
Spider-Woman is an all-female cartoon spinoff of Into the Spider-Verse (with Silk, etc.) which was already done in the comics.