Captain Marvel news

General discussions about superheroines!
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

No one believes the hate is manufactured -- just that its uglier elements are actively campaigning to appear more rational and mainstream than they are.

Yeah, I know, you say the same about your opposition.

Meanwhile, the plutocrats laugh at how much we all think our opinions matter.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So 8 weeks before release, boxofficepro long range tracking was $140M+
3 weeks before release, the studio tracking was $100M+
Here's what's happening so far...

domestic USA...

"Eyes Turn to 'Captain Marvel' to Give the 2019 Box Office a Boost
by Brad Brevet

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Disney's release of Marvel Studios's Captain Marvel delivered an estimated $61.3 million on Friday, including $20.7 million from Thursday night previews. The performance is $5.2 million higher than the opening day for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which went on to open with $146.5 million and current industry expectations have Captain Marvel finishing the three-day anywhere from $145-155+ million. The film received an "A" CinemaScore."

Not part of the early tracking reports, here's foreign...

"Internationally, the film currently stands at an estimated $127 million through Friday. Included in that is an estimated $34.3 million opening day in China, which ranks as the second highest MCU opening day in the market ever behind only Avengers: Infinity War. Elsewhere, South Korea is the second highest grossing market so far with $9.3 million followed by Indonesia ($6.4m), Brazil ($5.4m), Russia ($5.4m), UK ($5.3m), Australia ($4.5m), France ($4.3m), Mexico ($4.1m), Thailand ($3.7m) and Germany ($3.4m)."

Source:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4492&p=.htm

People are going to see Captain Marvel movie and not paying any attention to manbabies. People like Marvel and are going to Marvel's MCU first female-lead superhero movie.

:ss: :lynda1:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's not hard for the website to verify which is presumably why websites are acting on these things rather than just going, "Welp, I guess it is shit then."
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The bogus claim by RT these are bots are just that. If they want to make sure of it there are simple formula that a poster would do that a bot can't do.

Yes it will make a ton of money but that does not make it a good or bad movie
Damselbinder

Okay, I'm doing it. I'm taking the plunge. I'm giving my two-cents.

It was okay. 5.5/10. The plot was predictable, the direction was by-the-numbers. Brie Larson did a good job... with the material she was given. She never had a chance to stand out much as a character because the script was substandard. The plot was, y'know, fine. Just standard superhero guff. But all the funky nineties music and continuity winks and nods and nineties nostalgia don't disguise an uncreative script. But as an introduction to what will basically be Marvel's Superman? It was fine. Certainly not worth the metric tonnes of bile that have been spilt about it.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
The bogus claim by RT these are bots are just that. If they want to make sure of it there are simple formula that a poster would do that a bot can't do.

Just saying their bogus claims by RT doesn't make it true.

Whether it makes a ton of money or not was never in question, it's a Marvel movie, most of the reviews I've seen indicate this is an average marvel film which is all it has to be to be entertaining popcorn action fluff far enough superior too the offerings of Michael Bay to be worth looking into so far as I'm concerned. What's sad is that many of those reviews I've seen from more than a few sources admit that they feel guilty for liking the movie because they were feeling pressure by commenters and such that they weren't supposed to enjoy themselves.

Anyway as you've expressed your direct intent not to see this movie, and it has left the realm of conjecture into the realm of the observable, I expect that means we wont be seeing your opinions about it going forward?
shevek
Producer
Producer

theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
5 years ago
That sounds like a lot of man-babies flooded the site with bad karma. I can't believe that many people disliked it so much. I may be seeing it tonight.
Yep, 50% diff between critics and audience, especially audience on the downside, is the manbabies dishonesty campaign in full force. I wonder if there's any other movie at RT that has a discrepancy like that.
The Guardian actually had the answer to that, with a metric they've dubbed the "Tisdale Carano index" (which is negative if critics like it better,
and positive if audiences like it better).

First number is audience score. Second number is critic score. Third number is the TC index.

Daisy Miller 20 100 -80
Bad Biology 34 100 -66
Tropic of Cancer 8 71 -63
Swing Shift 33 92 -59
Rambling Rose 42 100 -58
The Big Picture 37 93 -56
Crazy Mama 32 86 -54
Spy Kids 39 93 -54
Absolute Beginners 33 86 -53
Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane (Plane Dead) 35 86 -51
Semi-Tough 30 80 -50
Quarantine 2: Terminal 36 86 -50
The Big Doll House 50 100 -50
The Whistle Blower 37 86 -49
The Bostonians 32 80 -48
Arachnophobia 43 91 -48
Married to the Mob 43 91 -48
Antz 47 95 -48
Lovers and Other Strangers 52 100 -48
A Private Function 53 100 -47
Last edited by shevek 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

It's YOUR claim that's bogus. As usual.

"The People Are Using Bots to ‘Review Bomb’ Captain Marvel on Rotten Tomatoes" is TRUE. And RT isn't the one to make the claim BTW. RT did report on a glitch they fixed.

Bots are easy to script. One of the bots created a bunch of reviews that said this: "I_am_Robbie_the_synthetic_comment." A pretty stupid script unless the programmer wanted to be spotted immediately.

But you're right that there are ways to defend against Bots.

In addition to Bots, were also tons of manbaby-trolls-who-didn't-see-the-movie fake reviews with hardly a word or with hateful manbaby things to say.

Some relevant articles...
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ls-1193280

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ls-1188770

______
Ton of money will make it a HIT movie. Which is the goal of the studio. I don't know if they'll make a sequel solo movie, my guess is CM will be the leader of the Avengers in a number of upcoming Avengers movies. And maybe some team up movie with another superhero like Ms. Marvel.

It's a good movie to me. And a non event to you since you aren't seeing it. That you're so caught up in it, obviously SO interested, and spend so much time commenting about it here is hilarious. Many people here posting are interested in the movie, that's why they post. Can't figure out why you're here. You don't see people uninterested in Dr. Who posting in those threads.

:ss: :lynda1:
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

@shevek
So those are movie titles with sets of three numbers that represent what?
Last edited by theScribbler 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

All six of my models have already seen it by now, one of them went twice (Thursday night and then the matinee this afternoon) and the movie is poised to pull in 150 million for opening weekend.

All the fake "bad" reviews in the world won't stop people from seeing it if they want to see it. The people who don't go and see it this weekend are the ones who don't normally go to see superhero movies anyway.

The theaters are packed front to back in all of the showings. I somehow doubt that SHAZAM will be the same. I just don't see women showing solidarity towards a movie that looks like BIG 2 from all the previews.

To the person who said that Batman vs Superman and Justice League are great movies, dude. That's just.... trolling. Those movies sucked. Opening night for Justice League was half-empty. One of my models finally gave up on that ShitBurger movie and started texting on her phone after Aquafag started "surfing" in radioactive Russia. She literally would rather text her mother than watch any more of it. The movie was so awful that in hindsight Warner Brothers announced this week they've shitcanned the whole DCEU concept in the movies due to failure to perform adequately. It stunk so bad they don't even want to talk about it anymore.
shevek
Producer
Producer

theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
@shevek
So those are movie titles with sets of three numbers that represent what?
Audience, critic and metric. Fixed in the above post.

But none of that matter since it looks like the gap has closed in the past day.

With the original crop of 54,000 negative reviews removed, now the critic score is getting lower (it's down to 79%)
while the audience score with over 35,000 new reviews which seem to be evenly split between positive and negative.
The gap between critic and audience is now down to just 24%.
Damselbinder

Shakeshift wrote:
5 years ago
One of my models finally gave up on that ShitBurger movie and started texting on her phone after Aquafag started "surfing" in radioactive Russia.
This thread is vitriolic enough. Could you please not use outright homophobic language in your posts?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shakeshift wrote:
5 years ago
All six of my models have already seen it by now, one of them went twice (Thursday night and then the matinee this afternoon) and the movie is poised to pull in 150 million for opening weekend.

All the fake "bad" reviews in the world won't stop people from seeing it if they want to see it. The people who don't go and see it this weekend are the ones who don't normally go to see superhero movies anyway.

The theaters are packed front to back in all of the showings. I somehow doubt that SHAZAM will be the same. I just don't see women showing solidarity towards a movie that looks like BIG 2 from all the previews.

To the person who said that Batman vs Superman and Justice League are great movies, dude. That's just.... trolling. Those movies sucked. Opening night for Justice League was half-empty. One of my models finally gave up on that ShitBurger movie and started texting on her phone after Aquafag started "surfing" in radioactive Russia. She literally would rather text her mother than watch any more of it. The movie was so awful that in hindsight Warner Brothers announced this week they've shitcanned the whole DCEU concept in the movies due to failure to perform adequately. It stunk so bad they don't even want to talk about it anymore.
So you are basing weather a movie is good on people seeing it How about the many romance fans who went to Titanic 10 times even though they knew the story

As far as shazam, I do think at least from the previews that will be poor looks more like a parody

But all you Marvel defenders are ignoring the point, the concerted effort to block and/or demonize any criticsm of either a SJW movie/show or actor

That's the point

I did not say BM vs SM or Justice league were great movies just better than the Avenger crap.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
But all you Marvel defenders are ignoring the point, the concerted effort to block and/or demonize any criticsm of either a SJW movie/show or actor
Not ignoring the point at all, but taking head-on, repeatedly, the basic prejudice in your point of view as betrayed plain as day here:

"a SJW movie/show or actor"

It demonizes itself. That's the point.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
So you are basing weather a movie is good on people seeing it
Is that what you think Shakeshift said? Learn to read.

He said: 6 models he knows saw it, it's poised for 150M opening weekend, "bad" reviews won't stop people from seeing it. See, it's not so hard to understand. Nothing about the movie being good based on people seeing it in his post you quoted and replied to.

Now he did say it was good in a prior post, based on him seeing it (and only that reason).
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
How about the many romance fans who went to Titanic 10 times even though they knew the story
How about you totally made that up for no reason.
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
As far as shazam, I do think at least from the previews that will be poor looks more like a parody
Doesn't look like a parody. Looks like comedy. Big 2 is a great analogy.

I look forward to seeing it when it streams. Or I'll rent the DVD from Netflix.
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

That's the point
That's not 'the point,' that's not a 'point', that's bogus unsustantiated nothingness

No effort to block criticism exists. Blocking manbaby fake news attacks exists, cause it's worthless crap that should be blocked.

If you saw CM, you'd know it's not an SJW movie. Well, you wouldn't cause you've been brainwashed by manbabies.

Manbabies criticisms of their own made-up strawlady, in place of real Brie Larson, are all over the place. They can't attack who she really is, so they have to make up lies about her. They be some sad, mad, mean, self-loathing manbabies trying to make themselves feel better about their loser status. Manbabies are so impotent, they just don't want to believe it.

You seem committed to your BS, and I don't mind knocking it down any time I see it. Cause it's easy to do and I need to practice my typing.
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
I did not say BM vs SM or Justice league were great movies just better than the Avenger crap.
Well, glad we all agree BvS and JL were bad movies. But better than Avengers? That's :lol:
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Oh FFS. Next time you say 'manbabies' you're banned, and I dont care if thats fair or not I am just sick of this crap.

Look this is JUST your OPINION the same as its OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS that are different to yours.

IF DAZZLE OR WHOEVER SAYS 'SHAZAM' LOOKS LIKE A PARODY TO THEM, THEN GUESS WHAT?

IT LOOKS LIKE A PARODY TO THEM

You can't say they are 'wrong' because thats how they perceive it . You saying 'no it looks like a comedy' and then taking some childish self congratulatory glee in supposedly 'shooting down their bs' as you put it, is quite frankly pathetic

This is an ADULT FORUM

PLEASE CAN WE START BEHAVING LIKE ADULTS

And if you genuinely think anyone believes that your earlier dig at typing errors was a 'joke' you are mistaken - its clearly petty points scoring and no one wants to see it.

Anyone doesn't like it go post elsewhere

EXPRESS ALL OPINIONS RESPECTFULLY AND AVOID PERSONAL ATTACKS AGAINST OTHER FORUM MEMBERS - that goes for everyone reading this post.

I use caps for emphasis. If you think I'm shouting then I don't care as along as you listen to the damn shout , read the words, take them in and follow them.

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE BETWEEN US SO DO NOT POST AN ANSWER TO THIS POST.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago

This is an ADULT FORUM

Do you need a hot water bottle mum?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
tallyho wrote:
5 years ago

This is an ADULT FORUM

Do you need a hot water bottle mum?
Nope I need a lobotomy.
Now go clean your room

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

To be honest, I don't know why this has degenerate into this SJW debate...

The centre of the question is whether or not Captain Marvel is a good movie is not related to whether or not Brie Larson being a SJW as being purposed in this thread. She could be a SJW, or could be a scientologist or whatever, that is independent from the acting she gave, and judging the movie base on her view and what she support is very unfair.

Now, I have to say this, I have not watch Captain Marvel nor was I going to, and I don't like what Brie Larson done leading to this "saga" I think what she has done is along the line as what Matt Damon said about Rape and Abuse on Louis CK thing, I believe in second chance but the timing Matt Damon say those stuff just, well, bad...the timing just wrong, but that does not mean I think the movie is bad because of it. I would not say the movie is bad just because some supposed hidden agenda.

I mean, if you think this movie is no good, don't go and watch it. The movie is not just make for you specifically, but make for people who go and see it, at the end of the day, you are not forced to go see it, so we should just leave it like that.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
Oh FFS. Next time you say 'manbabies' you're banned, and I dont care if thats fair or not I am just sick of this crap.
Can we get the same treatment for anybody who uses terms like 'SJW' 'Snowflakes' 'libtards' and such to demonize peoples oppinions? Cause I mean... if so I'd call that a fair trade... otherwise I'd be worried it just meant that only one group of people are allowed to have unmolested opinions about things.
AvaHeinz wrote:
5 years ago
Now, I have to say this, I have not watch Captain Marvel nor was I going to, and I don't like what Brie Larson done leading to this "saga" I think what she has done is along the line as what Matt Damon said about Rape and Abuse on Louis CK thing, I believe in second chance but the timing Matt Damon say those stuff just, well, bad...the timing just wrong, but that does not mean I think the movie is bad because of it. I would not say the movie is bad just because some supposed hidden agenda.
Um.... WHAT!? Did you just correlate a woman asking for a bit more diversity in the workplace around her as like to comments about a sexual violence spectrum!? So what? Asking for more African American actors is the bad end closest to Harvey Weinstein, Asians are Louise C.K. and just letting things lie is the entirely noncriminal act? You're going to need to elaborate on what you meant just there because those things do not equate with one another in any shape or form.
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
So you are basing weather a movie is good on people seeing it How about the many romance fans who went to Titanic 10 times even though they knew the story
I think its pretty clear they are basing their opinion about whether the movie is good or not based upon whether they thought it was good or not after they actually watched it as opposed to whether or not the people in their political circles are calling for a boycott. The people who saw Titanic 10 times clearly thought it was a great film? I don't see what point you are trying to make... people don't normally go see movies twice if they thought it was bad.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Welp, looks like the boycotts and review bombing really had an effect. Captain Marvel has really struggled at the box office and I don't know maybe they're just going to stop making MCU movies altogether.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/03/10/captai ... e-ceiling/
kingles
Sargeant
Sargeant

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Rotten Tomatoes had 58,000 audience reviews that averaged 34%, the lowest of any Marvel movie ever.
Then the website mysteriously deleted 54,000 of those reviews, leaving just over 4,000. But the average only went up to 36%.
Then the total number of reviews over the past few hours went up from 4,000 to 10,000...and the average went back down to 34%.
My prediction: it's going to go lower and possibly hit the 27% that it did when the Want to See average was at its lowest.
(REDACTED) out in force. Kind of expected.
It goes back to my original point, why the censorship of views?
Because the views have no value. Most of them will be duplicate accounts and many of them will simply be posting in bad faith.
How do you know this? the same claim is made regarding Discovery,Star Wars and DR and this was the Calpadli era as well as Whittaker
It seems people have a problem with different views.
Here is something that nobody seems to have noticed, although Dogfish may be alluding to it. Based on the numbers in Shevek's post: approximately 93.3% of negative reviews were removed AND 92.7% of POSITIVE reviews were deleted. It's pretty clear that these 'reviews' were deleted because RT had reason to believe they were bogus. If they wanted to raise the score by censoring negative reviews then they would've done that. They didn't.

It probably raised a red flag when CM had more reviews posted in less than a day, than Infinity War has TOTAL. Especially considering all that went on in the lead up to it's release.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
Can we get the same treatment for anybody who uses terms like 'SJW' 'Snowflakes' 'libtards' and such to demonize peoples oppinions? Cause I mean... if so I'd call that a fair trade... otherwise I'd be worried it just meant that only one group of people are allowed to have unmolested opinions about things.
If a SINGLE POSTER uses 'SJW' , 'snowflakes' or 'libtards' 24 TIMES OR MORE (I CONFESS I KINDA LOST COUNT)* and such in a single thread then yes, I will consider it. To my mind no one has yet.

*feel free to count them and correct me if I am wrong

Bert

Knowing my own propensity to become involved in arguments over what I view as unkind, false or wildly arrogant posts (I have been involved in a few posting wars with Logan and Swampy), I make an effort to stay out of these things. Sometimes I can't stop myself, but mostly I do. I feel obliged to add my two cents here. Dazzle has made some provocative posts. It seems very justifiable that he receive some pushback on those views. Also, I have to say I agree with Femina - if "manbabies" is off the table there are a few terms from the other side that need to be banned as well. I'm doing my best to stay reasonable here, so I hope this isn't coming off too combative.
GeekyPornCritic

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
5 years ago
Um.... WHAT!? Did you just correlate a woman asking for a bit more diversity in the workplace around her as like to comments about a sexual violence spectrum!? So what? Asking for more African American actors is the bad end closest to Harvey Weinstein, Asians are Louise C.K. and just letting things lie is the entirely noncriminal act? You're going to need to elaborate on what you meant just there because those things do not equate with one another in any shape or form.
A diverse workplace cannot be compared to sexual violence. Brie Larson has not done anything wrong. She just wants more women and people from other races to take part in premiers and special screenings. There is nothing wrong with that.

People are so upset at Brie Larson and refuse to see the movie because her. Yet, people are just fine with racist celebrities and Youtubers such as Justin Bieber and Pewdiepie. If you are for racial diversity then people will criticize you. They will say racism does not exist, and the person made an honest mistake. People do not say racist comments or slurs by mistake.

The hate towards Brie is also about race.
Last edited by GeekyPornCritic 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Thank you Tallyho for suggesting a limit to the excessive use of annoying terms. A few references to one or the other is fine, but when it's in excess it becomes tired. And honestly, does any argument need the addition of those silly or generic terms? Either the argument has merit or it doesn't; repeatedly referencing people with a differing opinion using a childish label is pointless.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

As for the argument that people aren't seeing the movie because of her, that is an unprovable point.
I can't speak for each person's issue with Brie Larson. But if the discussion is going to be about some actress's views of racial and gender balance, then a lengthy discussion is needed. For instance, is the expectation that all races are to be equally represented in all major fields by the same percentages as in the country's demographics? Where is the more relevant conversation of racial disparity in STEM fields? Where is the current conversation on boys falling behind girls in significant numbers academically (one major issue) and that women continue to be underrepresented in CEO positions (another issue with many nuances to it)?
The whole Captain Marvel/Brie Larson conversation seems to merely be another touchstone in the bigger conversation that people aren't having in an honest and thoughtful conversation.

My impression is that people are using the argument of the very small but highly vocal extremists to make their counterpoints. But it seems to me that members here don't represent that extremist view. Perhaps we can have more of the discussion from differing opinions here and not cite the fringe extremists who would, according to a recent post, hate Brie because of race. I don't see anyone espousing such a view here, and it seems absurd to argue against some impression of simpleminded extremist views.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
5 years ago
Knowing my own propensity to become involved in arguments over what I view as unkind, false or wildly arrogant posts (I have been involved in a few posting wars with Logan and Swampy), I make an effort to stay out of these things. Sometimes I can't stop myself, but mostly I do. I feel obliged to add my two cents here. Dazzle has made some provocative posts. It seems very justifiable that he receive some pushback on those views. Also, I have to say I agree with Femina - if "manbabies" is off the table there are a few terms from the other side that need to be banned as well. I'm doing my best to stay reasonable here, so I hope this isn't coming off too combative.
I have to respond, I have made posts about movies, shows or public figures aka Brie Larsen

the difference I feel is I have not attacked anyone on this forum personally for a different view.

I don't see how SJW is offensive as I could understand libtards would be. I find it used in the media fairly often

But if it will keep the piece, I will stop using it on superheroineforum
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

153m in US, 5th biggest foreign launch of all time, 302 M (so 455 m globally)

Sounds pretty successful
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Its the excessive use of the same term I had the issue with, as with 24 uses or more by the one poster , that poster being quoted and then responses featuring it, 'manbabies' must have been said 40 or 50 times in this thread.

I don't have an issue with Manbabies or SJW being used on the forum in context though, as I don't think they are particularly offensive - 'libtard' I think we should avoid as that is a bit more insulting than the others

Any how , enough on that.

On topic, its good news for us all that its making money, regardless of how good or bad it may be as that increases the chances of more superheroine fare for us all in the future

GeekyPornCritic

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Bert wrote:
5 years ago
I have to respond, I have made posts about movies, shows or public figures aka Brie Larsen

the difference I feel is I have not attacked anyone on this forum personally for a different view.

I don't see how SJW is offensive as I could understand libtards would be. I find it used in the media fairly often

The term mocks people for wanting social justice. Adding warrior to social justice makes the person seems like a joke. Decades ago these types of problems especially with legal issues were called Civil Rights issues. Civil Rights apply to everyone. Critics of social justice often say those issues only relate to a certain group.

It does not matter if the media use it fairly often. The media is not always right. Fox News often say racism does not exist. Does that make them right? White female pornstars call black men in the N often in interracial films. Does that make them right?

Here is something for everyone to think about. Please deeply look at this.

Brie's critics will not attend the movie because she is for racial diversity and more opportunities for women.
People buy and watch porn films of a racist pornstar Riley Reid. They support her despite her calling black men the N word. This person has also appeared as Wonder Girl in at least one SHIP film.

Why is it wrong for a white woman such as Brie to support racial diversity and it is okay for Riley Reid to disrespect black customers and the African American community?
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4493&p=.htm

from boxofficemojo,com
"Disney's release of Marvel Studios's Captain Marvel gave the domestic box office a much needed jolt after the first two months of the year struggled to compete with 2018. The twenty-first entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe delivered the franchise's seventh largest opening weekend of all time while grossing more over its first three days than the combined totals of any previous three-day weekend so far this year.

With an estimated $153 million, Captain Marvel proved a massive success, bringing in the third highest March opening of all-time, and don't be surprised to see actuals push the film's total a bit higher come Monday afternoon. Historically, the performance ranks among openings that include The Dark Knight ($158.4m opening), The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($158m opening), Rogue One ($155m opening) and The Hunger Games ($152.5m opening), the four of which representing a total domestic gross ranging from $408-530+ million.

It is interesting to note exits, which show the film playing to an opening weekend crowd that was 55% male and 45% female, which, along with Black Panther and Ant-Man and the Wasp, is the smallest gender divide among films in the MCU, but nowhere near the 52% female crowd Wonder Woman played to back in June 2017. Additionally, 64% of the film's opening weekend crowd was aged 25 or older, which ranks as one of the older audiences for an MCU film, while it earned an "A" CinemaScore.

Internationally, Captain Marvel delivered an estimated $302 million, making it the fifth highest international opening weekend of all-time and the sixth largest worldwide debut ever...

Overall, this is the first weekend in 2019 that saw the overall weekend gross manage to outperform the same weekend in 2018, doing so by a strong +48% based on estimates..."

"Box Office Mojo is a website that tracks box office revenue in a systematic, algorithmic way. The site was founded in 1999, and was bought in 2008 by IMDb, which itself is owned by Amazon. The website is widely used within the film industry as a source of data."
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

GeekyPornCritic wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Bert wrote:
5 years ago

The term mocks people for wanting social justice. Adding warrior to social justice makes the person seems like a joke. Decades ago these types of problems especially with legal issues were called Civil Rights issues. Civil Rights apply to everyone. Critics of social justice often say those issues only relate to a certain group.

It does not matter if the media use it fairly often. The media is not always right. Fox News often say racism does not exist. Does that make them right? White female pornstars call black men in the N often in interracial films. Does that make them right?

Brie's critics will not attend the movie because she is for racial diversity and more opportunities for women.
People buy and watch porn films of a racist pornstar Riley Reid. They support her despite her calling black men the N word. This person has also appeared as Wonder Girl in at least one SHIP film.

Why is it wrong for a white woman such as Brie to support racial diversity and it is okay for Riley Reid to disrespect black customers and the African American community?

Here is we will have to agree to disagree.

SJW means to many people the thought police who will attack any white or conservative who disagrees with their views

Have you listened to Brie critics they are responding her dismissing and denigrating of white male critics or anyone who objects to her point of view
GeekyPornCritic

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
GeekyPornCritic wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Bert wrote:
5 years ago

SJW means to many people the thought police who will attack any white or conservative who disagrees with their views

Have you listened to Brie critics they are responding her dismissing and denigrating of white male critics or anyone who objects to her point of view
If a person objects to racial diversity and gender diversity, then they are racist and sexist. There is no question about it. They are not worth speaking to. As a black man I dismiss anyone who thinks racial diversity in the workplace is bad.

The issues of racism and sexism are not liberal and conservative problems. These problems are human rights and common sense problems. Every politician regardless of party should support civil rights for all races, gender, and sexualities.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

I think it's ridiculous that the term "man-babies" gets a ban hammer warning from an admin.

Getting offended by that term instead of choosing to ignore it is the very DEFINITION of being a fully-grown man, and a whiny baby, at the same time.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

GeekyPornCritic wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
GeekyPornCritic wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Bert wrote:
5 years ago

If a person objects to racial diversity and gender diversity, then they are racist and sexist. There is no question about it. They are not worth speaking to. As a black man I dismiss anyone who thinks racial diversity in the workplace is bad.

The issues of racism and sexism are not liberal and conservative problems. These problems are human rights and common sense problems. Every politician regardless of party should support civil rights for all races, gender, and sexualities.
But there is no real problem with gender or racial diversity in the U.S, that is a scam . We are mostly beyond that point.

It is promoted by people with agenda like sharpton, AOC and Larsen among others
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
These Brie critics you mention are responding to made-up stuff about Brie. They've made a straw man (in this case: straw woman) out of her.

Straw man = an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

from wikipedia:
A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was NOT presented by that opponent.[1] One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man."

Brie did not dismiss white male critics. She advocates for more opportunities for women reviewers and reviewers of all races, in addition to the white males who already have the opportunities.

Brie did not denigrate white male critics or anyone who objects to her point of view. She never has commented on people who have objected to her point of view.

denigrate = criticize unfairly; disparage.

She did not do this re white male critics. It's clear in all her interviews and the speech she gave at Crystal + Lucy awards, which I posted the transcript of, and the video is viewable at Variety magazine.

Here are 3 separate excerpts from the transcript that counter the false nature of your statement:

Brie Larson:
Am I saying that I hate white dudes? No...I'm not...
And I'm also saying: I don't hate white dudes,
And for the THIRD time, I don't hate white dudes!
But the ma... Brie critics can't have that out there cause it goes against the straw woman they've created. They need to maintain, as you do, that 'Brie' dismisses and denigrates white males. With apologies to tallyho, Dazzle1, your statement and many of your statements are unsubstantiated HUGE fuckin' lies.
Last edited by theScribbler 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
GeekyPornCritic wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
GeekyPornCritic wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

Right now the pe

But there is no real problem with gender or racial diversity in the U.S, that is a scam . We are mostly beyond that point.

Right now it is Jews and conservatives who face discrimination. Witness this weeks votes in the house of representatives
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

Libtard is used in the media fairly often depending on where you look. It's offensive because its a term utilized to ignore someone's point of view and categorize them as in your opposition so that their thoughts and opinions can be ignored. E.G. "That's just as silly SJW mindset there *ahyuk ahyuk ahyuk* It's offensive, maybe not to you, but trust me it just is.

Tallyho
Discussion wide, I feel slightly guilty about the manbaby thing as I think I may have started it up fresh right around the time I got REALLY annoyed with the youtube video onslaught a couple of weeks ago when it REALLY REALLY got going (which I want to emphasize were ATTACKING my youtube banner feed in a violent and offensive tirade) I feel like the term is an adequate expression of their behavior (While accenting now that really... it's as stupid a term as calling someone a 'snowflake' in retrospect they are just racist sexists plain and simple) To be very VERY clear, I don't think most of the commenting happening here is being done by 'manbabbies' when I originally brought it up, I was specifically referencing those youtuber sons of..... *deep breaths* anyway, I do apologize for any added frustration for you mods

EDIT
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

How are we supposed to ignore this?

Dazzle1 just because you think something is a scam doesn't make it so.
Last edited by Femina 5 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
awsman
Henchman
Henchman

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

LOL, this pretty much says it all about this guy's perspective. Why are y'all continuing to humor this doofus by engaging him?
jlocke
Sargeant
Sargeant

Just got back from the theater with my family.

My son loved it. Start to finish. 9 years old and didn't say a peep through the whole thing. Wife is already talking about seeing it again. Son wants to see again with his step brother. Daughter loved it but had an academic event to go to so she was more focused on seeing her friends.

I fucking loved it. All of it. Young Nick Fury being so less serious. Colson showing how moral and courageous he was as a young agent. Carol's relationship with her best friend and her daughter. All the 90s music and references. And the wonderful way they show how Carol's humanity and her ability to overcome failure was more important than hand lasers. Goose the "cat". The villain twist. Annette benning being both a bad guy and hero. God damn I loved this movie. It was fun. I laughed so hard when everyone is waiting and waiting for a freaking CD ROM to load.

I love marvel movies. And Captain Marvel will fit very nicely into my frequent rewatch binges.

Also all the stuff about maga vs left leaves me stupified. It's either a good movie or its not. If you can't leave politics aside for a fun movie, I think that's really sad.
GeekyPornCritic

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

I am speaking facts. Brie is right about the lack of racial diversity in the United States. My alma mater has been sued many times for racial hiring. It is one of the largest schools in the state, and it only currently has FIVE African American professors. Local reports have confronted my mayor for the lack of minorities employees with the city. The mayor claims minorities do not want to work in the government. These are just two legal examples.

Let's look at topic related to this forum.

I have a better example for you. Look at our SHIP fetish. When was the last time an African American woman filmed in a SHIP movie? I own both of these movies.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

Libtard is used in the media fairly often depending on where you look. It's offensive because its a term utilized to ignore someone's point of view and categorize them as in your opposition so that their thoughts and opinions can be ignored. E.G. "That's just as silly SJW mindset there *ahyuk ahyuk ahyuk* It's offensive, maybe not to you, but trust me it just is.

Tallyho
Discussion wide, I feel slightly guilty about the manbaby thing as I think I may have started it up fresh right around the time I got REALLY annoyed with the youtube video onslaught a couple of weeks ago when it REALLY REALLY got going (which I want to emphasize were ATTACKING my youtube banner feed in a violent and offensive tirade) I feel like the term is an adequate expression of their behavior (While accenting now that really... it's as stupid a term as calling someone a 'snowflake' in retrospect they are just racist sexists plain and simple) To be very VERY clear, I don't think most of the commenting happening here is being done by 'manbabbies' when I originally brought it up, I was specifically referencing those youtuber sons of..... *deep breaths* anyway, I do apologize for any added frustration for you mods

EDIT
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

How are we supposed to ignore this?

Dazzle1 just because you think something is a scam doesn't make it so.
Femina

I can't remember any newspaper or Fox News using Libtard.

As far as the point about racial diversity and gender diversity not being a major problem

Look around the last President was African american if Hillary had run a decent campaign she would be President, the speaker of the House is a woman, No one cares that Tim cook and Adam Silver are gay, they care that they are running Apple and the NBA well
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

OK no more politics. There is a Marvel movie thread in the films and tv section. Post a comment there when you have seen it or if you want to ask a question of those who have, regarding content

AvaHeinz
Producer
Producer

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
AvaHeinz wrote:
5 years ago
Hi Mate

I did not make a comparison that way, I compare the "TIMING" of when and where both actors have put in their thought.

As I said in my previous post, I agree with what Brie Larson said about Hollywood not being diverse enough, but I do NOT agree with the timing/venue she choose to say that, I compare that "TIMING" with Matt Damon trying to say everyone deserve a second chance and the road to redemption is first admit you have made a mistake, to which I totally agree. However, I do NOT agree with the timing Matt Damon said those word.

If you want to make it "Woman Right in Hollywood" vs "Rape/Abuse Culture in Hollywood", be my guest, but I DID NOT DRAW THE CONCLUSION ON THAT NOR WAS I MAKING A DIRECT COMPARSION OF BOTH

And I did not owe you an explanation on anything, my answer is as a courtesy for yours, you have your own thought process and I have mind, had I ever doubt yours or question yours? If not, then you cannot doubt or question mine either.

Regards
Ava
The Superhero Project
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Right now it is Jews and conservatives who face discrimination. Witness this weeks votes in the house of representatives
And if a "conservative" walks into a restaurant or gets stopped by the police how do people know he is a conservative, you know, unless he's wearing a UKIP badge? How do people know "better show this dick that his oppressive views on social liberties and desperate longing for a monarchy are not welcome in our town! Better remember to get some bio fuel and burn a peace sign on his lawn! Better yet, let's lob organic beans at him right now!"

(As if there even is such a thing as a non conservative American!)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

No politics people.

POST COMMENTS ON THE MOVIE IN THE OTHER THREAD

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

look mods (and king mod, long may he hypnotically reign), I know there are good reasons for the ban on all things not bland and respectful but could we go lassie faire on this one thread and just see how nuts and mental it really gets?

It'll be funny and something that brings the community closer, like when Captain Marvel 2 comes out we'll be able to say "oh my sweet holy fuck do not go there! remember the old Captain Marvel thread" and then we can link it and marvel in it's toxic glory?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Why do you think I havent locked it?

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

(That was a joke)