Brie Larson Wants Less White Dudes Reviewing Movies

General discussions about superheroines!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sugarcoater wrote:
5 years ago
In reading over some comments, I am wondering now how movie ticket prices really affect consumers. We are talking about the price of two specialty coffees for a movie ticket (barring the IMAX shows). If a movie is good enough, I don't see someone staying home because they bought a $10 ticket two weeks or a month earlier.
There are LOTS of people that no longer have the money for specialty coffees and movie tickets anymore is the issue. Ticket prices are ABSOLUTELY affecting the market. There were always a lot of little things that had to be dealt with to even get off to the theater as said above BUT add increasing prices on top of that and a dozen people will choose to buy a coffee in the morning RATHER THAN go and see a Romantic Comedy. Disney is really the only production company that's making enormous profits anymore because people are only going to the theater to see Disney movies and skipping the rest.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

sugarcoater wrote:
5 years ago
In reading over some comments, I am wondering now how movie ticket prices really affect consumers. We are talking about the price of two specialty coffees for a movie ticket (barring the IMAX shows). If a movie is good enough, I don't see someone staying home because they bought a $10 ticket two weeks or a month earlier.
If you are single. Movies these days for most families are at least a $50-75 affair.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Exactly - if you are there with kids and they want popcorn or hot dogs or sweets (candy) etc it can be well over $100. Thats a lot for 2 hrs
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

That's why you put your kids in cargo trousers and a netto trolly dash on the way before briefing the 10 year old that today he's a tall 4 and a half year old

As the former conservative foreign secretary so eloquently put it, "fuck business"!
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Fair point about bringing the family, but as people here seem to have money to buy racy videos at around $30 a pop I figured they have disposable income to pick and choose a movie or two per month. Seems odd someone would say no to their child for popcorn because they had to buy the latest SGH video.
And why is anyone buying overpriced popcorn and snacks at the theater in the first place?
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

RE your last point, I got no kids but these days parents dont seem able to say 'no'. If they do kid throws a tantrum, causes a scene and ma gives in - kid gets what it wants. So more tantrums next time
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sugarcoater wrote:
5 years ago
Fair point about bringing the family, but as people here seem to have money to buy racy videos at around $30 a pop I figured they have disposable income to pick and choose a movie or two per month. Seems odd someone would say no to their child for popcorn because they had to buy the latest SGH video.
And why is anyone buying overpriced popcorn and snacks at the theater in the first place?
That assumes that human beings are perfect, always content, and completely rational, which they are so far from as to be laughable. Can't pretend like people aren't people, eventually we gotta blow off some steam, often we do that with a movie because it's a 'relatively' cheap option... but it's a lot LESS cheap than it USED to be so we tend to be very picky about what we will actually go and see. Which is why Disney is killing it, and no one else is.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

As a newspaper review of this weekend's box office pointed out Disney/Marvel is killing it with the 20th movie opening in the MCU because it's reliable. Given a choice on where to spend your money, most people will spend it where they think they'll enjoy wasting it for entertainment. This comes after Disney/Star Wars didn't do as well with Solo earlier in the year.

I don't go out to watch at a movie theater like I used to because of cost and rather spending more so I can watch the extras on the DVD release. At least my local theater has a deep discount for early showings and some times even with that cost savings a major movie is still half empty.