Bloopers and BTS footage--love it, hate it, or couldn't care less?

General discussions about superheroines!
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I've noticed that relatively few producers show outtakes, bloopers, and behind-the-scenes footage of their videos. And those that do might only put this sort of thing up in tiny segments on social media. (One very notable exception is Seductive Studios, which has a whole section of their website devoted to outtakes and bloopers and also puts pretty long BTS clips on social media.)

Even when you commission the video yourself, it varies by producer whether they will send you the raw, unedited footage with bloopers, outtakes, and random BTS stuff that got caught on film, or whether they will only send you the final, edited product that is going up for sale. Even if they only send you the edited product, a few producers will at least tag onto the end of the video a short clip of the models thanking the person who commissioned the video and giving their reactions to it, but only in the version that is sent to the commissioner.

My question is whether fans actually care to see this extraneous material that isn't part of the final product. Maybe some people would just find it distracting or even fantasy-killing to see the models breaking character and cutting up laughing in the middle of the shoot over some blooper, or else flubbing their lines repeatedly and just not looking polished, or just sitting and reading the script and looking like regular actresses on set rather than the superheroine characters they're supposed to be playing. I dunno, maybe seeing that raw footage would be undesirable to some fans, and maybe that's why so few producers release it.

But I, for one, LOVE to see the bloopers and outtakes and BTS footage. It doesn't take anything away from the edited product at all in my view, but on the contrary it adds new dimensions to watching the final version when you have a little more of an inkling what was going on behind the scenes, and you can see more directly how the personalities of the actresses were coming through in their acting, because you know what made them laugh, and what things in the script confused them, and what they were guessing about, and what they felt strongly about, and what the rapport was like between the performers on set. All of that stuff is fascinating to me and invariably makes me enjoy watching the edited video more. And there are some bloopers that I swear are better than the actual clip that gets used in the video, because the blooper moments are so authentic.

And here's a fact: You pretty much NEVER see a performer truly laugh in an edited video--it's always the fake, dramatic "evil laugh" or "haughty laugh" that the script called for. But don't heroines have actual senses of humor? Don't they ever truly guffaw? Well, they do, but ONLY IN THE BLOOPERS! It's almost a revelation when you see the model playing the heroine (or villain) truly bust out laughing over something in the script. It's often quite adorable. Those bits that never make it into the edited video can wind up being some of my favorite moments from the whole production.

But if that is a common opinion, then I wonder if more producers would consider releasing this kind of footage. To me, it seems like a low-cost way for a producer to add value and give fans something more to enjoy about their product. By definition, the footage is already captured in the normal process of making the video, so there's no added work for the producer to shoot this stuff. Including a bit of a blooper reel at the end of the edited video would take a little bit of time to splice together and stick on there and render, and it would add a bit to the download sizes of the files, and maybe the producers have costs associated with the download sizes, I dunno. But I wonder if those hindrances are relatively minor, and the main reason that producers don't share more bloopers and BTS footage is just that they don't think fans would care to see it.

So that's my question--do fans care to see that stuff? Maybe I'm the only oddball who does. :wacko: Or maybe not ... :hmmm:
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Jennifer Blaze includes bloopers and outtake content with all of her videos, usually tacked on at the end. www.clips4sale.com/store/84855

For the majority of producers, that's content that breaks the fourth wall and since it's all about mistakes and errors it's not "good" material. Most people don't want to see the fourth wall broken because this is all masturbatory fodder. It goes on the editing room floor because it belongs on the editing room floor. Most people who want "all the extras" are just people who are jonesing for as much media content as they can get their hands on, whether it's good or bad. In a 40 minute video, you can easily have 30 or more minutes of material that got cut away, but there is a reason it was all cut. It's repetitive, it's lit badly, or it's just not good enough to make the cut. I wouldn't release it, and I don't think many other people would either. It's the stuff that was done WRONG. By necessity it should never see the light of day. It's the abortion stuff. Delete it, and pretend it never existed.
Zee
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I know of aproducer who regularly posts BTS on his Patreon account. It is good fun see how a video gets produced and what could go wrong or right. He also shows how special affects are incorporated into the action.
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Shakeshift wrote:
6 years ago
Jennifer Blaze includes bloopers and outtake content with all of her videos, usually tacked on at the end. www.clips4sale.com/store/84855

For the majority of producers, that's content that breaks the fourth wall and since it's all about mistakes and errors it's not "good" material. Most people don't want to see the fourth wall broken because this is all masturbatory fodder. It goes on the editing room floor because it belongs on the editing room floor. Most people who want "all the extras" are just people who are jonesing for as much media content as they can get their hands on, whether it's good or bad. In a 40 minute video, you can easily have 30 or more minutes of material that got cut away, but there is a reason it was all cut. It's repetitive, it's lit badly, or it's just not good enough to make the cut. I wouldn't release it, and I don't think many other people would either. It's the stuff that was done WRONG. By necessity it should never see the light of day. It's the abortion stuff. Delete it, and pretend it never existed.
Hey, thanks for the tip on Jennifer Blaze.

Yeah, I hear you about not letting bad material see the light of day. I certainly wasn't thinking about long productions with 30 minutes of garbage footage. I guess most of my customs haven't been that fancy, so even when I've been sent the "extras" it didn't amount to nearly that much. I'm definitely not arguing for indiscriminately posting a boatload of crap material.

But I guess I am enough of a fanboy when it comes to certain performers that I do get a kick out of seeing even their bloopers and BTS moments. It doesn't hold the same kind of excitement as the main video, but it's just fun in a different way. Maybe that's what you mean but "jonesing for as much media content as they can get their hands on," but if the motivations that I described in my initial post amount to that, then I'm guilty as charged! :thumbup: It's just fun, interesting, and sometimes enlightening. This isn't a novel concept, of course--plenty of mainstream movie makers put out bloopers and extra footage, cuz fans just find it fun to see.

I also will say that a couple of times when I've commissioned a video and have been a little quizzical about why something turned out differently than I had expected, I was able to see from the raw footage exactly why what I requested wasn't working or was confusing and why the final video wound up having something different, which was useful to help me avoid similar mistakes in future scripts. So there can be a practical benefit.

Anyway, I do think that if a producer were going to consider releasing extra footage publicly (not just to the person who commissioned the video), then it should be selected material, not just a dump of every bit of bad lighting that happened on set. This, I'm sure, is what Seductive Studios does.
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Zee wrote:
6 years ago
I know of aproducer who regularly posts BTS on his Patreon account. It is good fun see how a video gets produced and what could go wrong or right. He also shows how special affects are incorporated into the action.
Cool! Who might that be?
Zee
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Damien Wagner has a Patreon account where he posts BTS, some of which are bloopers and in others he shows how he directs the actors. It is fun to see how they work, after all they are real people, mistakes are normal. Also, Kick Ass Kandy on his forum has BTS, most of which are rehearsals for his combat cherography. They are fascinating to say the least. The combat actions are quite complex and great fun. Both producers feature absolutely stunning women.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

I love blooper footage
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Not a huge fan of "corpsing" bloopers, as the humor seems like it was much funnier for the people who were there on set. Unless there's a totally batshit ad-lib or quip, the sight of someone forgetting a line and then laughing about it just leaves me cold.

Now, extended/deleted footage would be a real treat for me. I like to see what else was tried, even if it wouldn't have worked in the finished production.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Zee
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Having fun at work is great for motivation.
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

DonShip wrote:
6 years ago
I love blooper footage
Good to know I'm not alone! :yes:
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Zee wrote:
6 years ago
Damien Wagner has a Patreon account where he posts BTS, some of which are bloopers and in others he shows how he directs the actors. It is fun to see how they work, after all they are real people, mistakes are normal. Also, Kick Ass Kandy on his forum has BTS, most of which are rehearsals for his combat cherography. They are fascinating to say the least. The combat actions are quite complex and great fun. Both producers feature absolutely stunning women.
Thanks for the scoop! I'll have to check these out!
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
Not a huge fan of "corpsing" bloopers, as the humor seems like it was much funnier for the people who were there on set. Unless there's a totally batshit ad-lib or quip, the sight of someone forgetting a line and then laughing about it just leaves me cold.

Now, extended/deleted footage would be a real treat for me. I like to see what else was tried, even if it wouldn't have worked in the finished production.
Ha! I had to look up "corpsing" as I didn't know that term. Now I get it. Yeah, the more I think about it, I suppose for me it partly depends on how serious the style of the video was supposed to be in the first place. If it's a really serious or gritty style of production to begin with, I don't think I'd find it as interesting to see bloopers where performers break character and laugh. But mostly the videos I favor are pretty campy to begin with, and in that context seeing the performers having fun with it BTS in bloopers and outtakes just adds to my fun in watching the final edited video, somehow. Especially if it's my own custom video, the "corpsing" bloopers make me kinda feel like I'm sharing an inside joke with the performers that this content is ultimately kind of silly and yet, strangely enough, it's still hot! And we're all just going with it! :laugh:

But I agree that extended/deleted footage is often even better, and more informative!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Interesting discussion. I'm of the opinion that outtakes (as long as they are fairly competent and not outright embarrassing) are good vehicles for conveying the look and feel of the product. And it also saves from having to create tons of trailers. So I use outtakes fairly often on our Youtube channel. Behind-the-scenes photo stills, and publicity stills taken during the action, are nice too. I use a mix of all of those, both in this forum and on our social media. And it seems I'm not the only one - it looks like it's common practice for Bluestone as well.

Here's one of Bluestone's. Watching it, you don't think "she made a mistake." You think "she looks amazing!", so it's effective.

And here's one of mine. Basically same idea.

WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
Interesting discussion. I'm of the opinion that outtakes (as long as they are fairly competent and not outright embarrassing) are good vehicles for conveying the look and feel of the product. And it also saves from having to create tons of trailers. So I use outtakes fairly often on our Youtube channel. Behind-the-scenes photo stills, and publicity stills taken during the action, are nice too. I use a mix of all of those, both in this forum and on our social media. And it seems I'm not the only one - it looks like it's common practice for Bluestone as well.

Here's one of Bluestone's. Watching it, you don't think "she made a mistake." You think "she looks amazing!", so it's effective.

And here's one of mine. Basically same idea.

Hey, I think you defined the appropriate blooper/outtake threshold well ("fairly competent and not outright embarrassing"), and I quite agree with you. I'm glad to know that some producers do roll this way. In fact, I'm learning from this thread about more producers than I knew before were posting outtakes. The ones you posted from Bluestone and your own shop are perfect examples of effective outtakes!

Your outtake example actually reminded me of a clip I saw that was hysterical in the opposite direction. A long time ago, Tanya Danielle posted a clip where the guy playing the goon who was supposed to be attacking her with devastating punches was so tentative and delicate with his actual punch delivery that she burst out laughing and broke character to tell him that he could hit her harder than that, cuz she couldn't even bring herself to react with fake pain to his embarrassingly wimpy jabs that wouldn't have hurt a fly. For some reason, the sound of Tanya's sudden guffaw in the middle of being "punched" was just precious to me. :laugh:
shevek
Producer
Producer

Tanya Danielle is awesome - and she is still putting out regular videos. She released a superheroine one (where she plays 'Virtue' against the evil Jewell Marceau) as recently as a couple months ago. She's very smart, so I could definitely see her reveling in hilarious outtakes.
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
Tanya Danielle is awesome - and she is still putting out regular videos. She released a superheroine one (where she plays 'Virtue' against the evil Jewell Marceau) as recently as a couple months ago. She's very smart, so I could definitely see her reveling in hilarious outtakes.
Agreed about TD! She is a long-time fave of mine and is still doing her thing, though she seems to fly under the radar mostly (no social media presence at all) and I've wondered if many people are aware that she's still producing superheroine (and other) content. Definitely a smart cookie! And very good-humored. She's also easy to work with on customs and tries very hard to give exactly the performance requested, and then some.
arkane
Henchman
Henchman

I am not very interested in bloopers or interviews "made for the industry" as you often see before and after clips made by producers like Kink.com.

I am quite interested when (usually you don't find these as videos) the people (actresses and producers and staff) speak "as themselves" and are sincere about what they do and like, their motivations, origins etc.
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

arkane wrote:
6 years ago
I am not very interested in bloopers or interviews "made for the industry" as you often see before and after clips made by producers like Kink.com.

I am quite interested when (usually you don't find these as videos) the people (actresses and producers and staff) speak "as themselves" and are sincere about what they do and like, their motivations, origins etc.
That's a good distinction. Although I do generally like bloopers and outtakes, I also like (in a different way) when I see performers and producers speaking as themselves, not on set. It's very hard, sometimes, to figure when people are really being sincere. The portrayal on social media is often slanted toward this atmosphere of raucous enjoyment in the industry ("I have the best best job in the world!" ... "I get paid to do all this fun, sexy stuff with all these fun, sexy people!" ... "What a blast we had on set today!" ... "I have the best fans EVER!" ... etc.). This stuff may be true sometimes, but it can't be true ALL the time. And then eventually you hear snippets here and there about how hard this work often is, and how not everyone gets along (this one producer kept shooting down some of my script proposals not because of the script content but because I kept requesting models that he said wouldn't work together cuz they had bad blood for one reason or another), and how obnoxious and creepy some "fans" are toward the performers--and you start to wonder how much of the "best job in the world" stuff is really how the performers and producers feel day to day. I do like seeing interviews or postings that give a more balanced and seemingly honest description of what the performers and producers do and don't like about their work, what kinds of scripts and action elements they truly enjoy doing, what their own personal kinks are, and what their own personal motivations are to be in this business. You don't often get this, it seems, but I like it when it does happen. Actually, the majority of the honest "behind-the-scenes" stuff that I have discerned has not been from publicly posted material at all, but rather from direct correspondence with producers and performers about projects we were collaborating on (or at least discussing collaborating on), which then may have strayed into more general discussion. In a few cases, I've known performers who have had very candid private message boards (LONG before onlyfans) where they would chat with fans just as themselves and not only to make advertising pitches. Then you would hear about the good days AND the bad days, and you'd get a sense of what really motivated them.
arkane
Henchman
Henchman

WarGriffin wrote:
6 years ago
In a few cases, I've known performers who have had very candid private message boards (LONG before onlyfans) where they would chat with fans just as themselves and not only to make advertising pitches. Then you would hear about the good days AND the bad days, and you'd get a sense of what really motivated them.
Yes.
I've chatted with a bondage model by IRC years ago, several times. While she was reserved about some things, she was quite open about her work and the "business" in general.
Sure you can't find any of that as a supplement to an adult video.
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I actually requested bloopers and out-takes be placed at the end of my custom video. It was really to emulate the old Jackie Chan movies. At the end of his films, there was usually a montage of bloopers. Cannonball Run did the same. Just thought it would be fun to watch people enjoying making my custom.
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Ah, Cannonball Run ... now that's a welcome reference from the old days!! Yes, the campy blooper montage thing definitely works for me, as my underlying scripts are also campy by nature (à la Jackie Chan and Cannonball Run). I totally resonate with it being fun to watch people enjoying making my custom. 100% ditto for me.
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

heroinehunter wrote:
6 years ago
I actually requested bloopers and out-takes be placed at the end of my custom video. It was really to emulate the old Jackie Chan movies. At the end of his films, there was usually a montage of bloopers. Cannonball Run did the same. Just thought it would be fun to watch people enjoying making my custom.
I love the sound of it, but I've never actually gotten a blooper reel at the end of a video. That was obliging of your producer to do that. Some producers have simply said "No" when I've asked for the outtakes, or others have hemmed and hawed and then just never gotten around to sending it. When I have received outtakes, it's not been as a blooper reel but rather just as an uncut, unedited version of everything the producer shot. A blooper reel would require the producer to do some additional editing to splice the blooper reel together, but that would be a excellent way to do it, if the producer is willing.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I've liked the bloopers that I've seen. They are a nice freebie, particularly if you like the star of the video, and want to see more of how the costuming and fight choreography came together. And sometimes it gives you a greater appreciation of what they went through to make the thing, like when you realize they were shooting outdoors in winter.

On a similar note, some of Zen Pictures' Japanese starlets like Maya Sakita used to have blogs about their everyday life outside of filming, and those were fun too.