Captain Marvel update

General discussions about superheroines!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

At the risk of triggering the usual suspects Brie Larsson, playing Captain Marvel in next year's Captain Marvel movie (I'm betting Ant Man & Wasp after credit scene too!) Has posted some pics

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

They're already filming!?!? Holy Banannas... Not a lot to say about this pic except... well at least they are keeping her a pilot xD not that I worried they wouldn't.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Nothing much to say - you can't tell anything from this, except that the plane doesn't say Carol Danvers on it. Are there are other photos that reveal more of costume or plot?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

If they've started filming they must have JUUUUUUUUUUST begun. I doubt there'll be many pictures coming out for a little while still... but it probably means we'll see the outfit sometime in the next couple of months?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I wouldn't get too excited unless she is Colonel Brian Kane as thats his aircraft.
I think its just early promo stuff rather than filming
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I have an Air Force buddy who works at Nellis AFB where this photo was taken and she said they were showing Brie around the base and showing her the various aircraft and just showing her the daily life of what it's really like on an Air Force base, similar to what they did for Tom Cruise while filming Top Gun in the Navy. I'm sure Brie got a nice demo flight in an F-15, or at least I hope so....
shevek
Producer
Producer

I can't even. Let's just say Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins don't have much to worry about. When D&C says Brie Larson looks like a "waitress, or a folksinger who married rich", he's definitely not far off. What she definitely does have, however, is a massive look of regret for having gotten into this mess. Looks like it's gonna be a debacle, folks. I would love to be wrong.

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Wow - well I am glad I am not getting judged on some random single shot photo... that would suck.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Looks fine to me. That's a pretty typical 90's hairdoo (which is when the movie takes place) the green/black is a nod to one of the first Captain Marvel's costumes. I think the costume looks a little bit like Captain America's... which this particular one was probably made by shield so it'd make sense. I don't expect we'll see the normal color scheme and 'Kree Battle Armor' costume until she's left earth and off fighting skrulls in space.

This guy in that video sounds like a massive twat. The sort of guy who shows up at your birthday party and immediately goes 'There's to much color in this room' and just smirks at you like he's to cool for school when you explain that it's your birthday and you like color.

To respond to one of his more ridiculous assertions, Marvel doesn't NEED demand to sell a movie. They proved that with frigging ANT MAN (and I'm sure he didn't take the time out of his day to harp on Ant Man's costume when that film came out?) Marvel films ride on their reputation and peoples overall certainty that they are going to produce something worth watching.

Watch this I can do it to!

HOLY CRAP folks! What is he wearing? Is that supposed to be Ant Man? He looks like a space man out of a1960's cheesy popcorn flick! I just PRAY there isn't a silly helmet to go on top of it... but then again maybe that would cover paul's ridiculous expressions. Looks like he's trying to catch a flying hot dog there in that second clip. If this is the direction Marvel is going with this dumb Ant Man concept we can all sit pretty with our assertions that nobody ever asked for, and no one will ever like, this whole Ant-Man blunder. Shame Marvel! SHAME!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yeah for all we know that still was after she had stood around waiting for someone to sort their shit out for 25 mins. Lets not forget lads its a JOB. You do it, ya get paid ya go back to your family and what really matters.
Even if she is a marvel fan its hard to stay enthused every second of a 14hr day. I 'll wait and see how it turns out rather than judge it on one still.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
shevek
Producer
Producer

The Carol Danvers thing always seems to get people's dander up...

All that's happened so far is that Lionbadger posted Brie posing with a jet, and I posted a video about someone ragging on the green costume. It's still not much to go on. Of course we'll wait and see, tally ho. When more reveals come out, more will be posted here I'm sure.

Remember, I said I would love to be wrong :)
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Eh, my personal opinion is, movies have ruined the hype train to the point where people have abandoned the hype train... which is arguably overall a good thing, but don't realize that they've unconsciously boarded the anti-hype train... which is just as bad if not worse.

EVERY superhero outfit looks ridiculous in twitter pictures, they have to use that movie magic to ensure you're always getting it at the right angles to make it look solid. The anti-hype train FEEDS off twitter and all the 'stolen photo shoots' from people watching films get made on the sidewalk. They aren't ever an implication of the final product, we don't even have her actual costume here, they sure aren't gonna put her in a green outfit for the whole movie. It's all the 'origin' stuff. Spider-man homecoming ended the film with Peter in his pajamas and people were fine with it.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
What she definitely does have, however, is a massive look of regret for having gotten into this mess. Looks like it's gonna be a debacle, folks.
Oh yes, very "regretful".

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
The Carol Danvers thing always seems to get people's dander up...

All that's happened so far is that Lionbadger posted Brie posing with a jet, and I posted a video about someone ragging on the green costume. It's still not much to go on. Of course we'll wait and see, tally ho. When more reveals come out, more will be posted here I'm sure.

Remember, I said I would love to be wrong :)
Its ok ,I dont have a gander to 'get up' in the first place. I know absolutely nothing about the character except the black and gold lightning cozzy and she isn't wearing that , and I know even less about the actress.
My comments were more directed at the video commentator, and that sort of negative hysteria, but it does seem a stretch to infer so much about the apathy of the actress etc from a single pic.
I too hope its good, she seems amiable enough as an actress

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago

My comments were more directed at the video commentator.....
Yeah, right with you. Sorry but as the day has worn on the content of his "video" has just bugged me more and more in the back of my mind, and that was while I have been AFK. Someone who snipes away with comments that essentially go ... "I think she looks like someone who smells ..." and then follows up with a whole load of other derogatory "She looks like ...." comments is just utterly disrespectful and cowardly. At least he should show HIS face when he comes out with crap like that but no, he hides. The expletives that are stacking up in my buffer between brain and keyboard are in danger of escaping so I better walk from this thread ....

shevek
Producer
Producer

Abductor: D&C has a criticism style which is called "roasting"...he mostly roasts comics but sometimes he also roasts movies. Yes he doesn't show his face on the channel but at this point everyone who watches the channel knows his real name, even though they call him "ya boi Zack." At this point, 55,000 subscribers tune into his videos so most people who watch understand his acerbic delivery. Unfortunately, you came into it blind. And sure, his style of hoisting people on their petards with a barrage of witty insults can be offputting until you get used to it. But he makes a lot of good points, such as the fact that enthusiasm for the Carol Danvers comic books has been so low that she is simply the least popular character that Marvel has made a movie of.

Anyway, once again, I'm sorry if I got anyone's dander up by posting the D&C video link and I might not link to any videos of his again on here (although I know there are other people on this forum who watch his channel - I am not the only one who's mentioned him).

Let's just see what happens and what new photos come out from this project as time progresses.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

lionbadger wrote:
6 years ago
At the risk of triggering the usual suspects........
OMG, maybe I have psycho kinetic powers!

Oh no wait, anybody could see that coming.

Anywhose, what better way to continue in the same vein than with some shaky poor audio quality video of the take in question!

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

No doubt there will be a broad spectrum of opinion about the movie in general (despite barely being in to shooting it), but when you are sampling opinions from the gutter it's no wonder you only get the impression of garbage. Now I am no longer blind I don't think I will be seeking out "Zack" for his opinions...ever.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

lionbadger wrote:
6 years ago

Anywhose, what better way to continue in the same vein than with some shaky poor audio quality video of the take in question!

Well clearly that was filmed during an earthquake as evidenced by all the camera shaking and Brie just carried on as if nothing was happening! She's a hero for real!

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Well clearly that was filmed during an earthquake as evidenced by all the camera shaking...
I just assumed they were, err filming one handed
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
6 years ago
No doubt there will be a broad spectrum of opinion about the movie in general (despite barely being in to shooting it), but when you are sampling opinions from the gutter it's no wonder you only get the impression of garbage. Now I am no longer blind I don't think I will be seeking out "Zack" for his opinions...ever.
Ah, but Zack is one of the new breed of Interweb "alpha males" who, for some inexplicable reason, all sound like whiny little manboys. I mean Zack literally said "She looks like a smelly girl" with seemingly no comprehension of how that sounded.

I always imagine "alpha males" as having gravelly Batman voices. But no, it turns out they're mewling cabbages.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

lionbadger wrote:
6 years ago
tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Well clearly that was filmed during an earthquake as evidenced by all the camera shaking...
I just assumed they were, err filming one handed
Screw you science boy! Your facts have no place on this thread! ;)

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
But he makes a lot of good points, such as the fact that enthusiasm for the Carol Danvers comic books has been so low that she is simply the least popular character that Marvel has made a movie of.
Yeah I heard him say that and it just isn't true.

Carol Danvers is VERY far from the least popular character they've ever tried to make a movie about... I once again submit ANT MAN! Sure, everybody LOVES Ant Man NOW, but before his movie came out, he was the sort of C-lister superhero that was so obscure I'd probably not heard his name but once every five years or so slipped into a marvel book or two. Ant Man was a deliberate experiment by Marvel. Marvel wanted to see if they could market a movie around a superhero that WASN'T a household name... and it worked, unbelievably well. I guess there may be an argument that Captain Marvel might then qualify as the 'second least popular' character marvel's ever tried to make a movie about' but even if that's true the gap in what Ant-Man's popularity was before he had a film, and the measure of Carol's popularity is MUCH wider than say... the gap between the Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man was.

I don't have any illusions that Captain Marvel is as popular as Iron Man or Thor or the Hulk, but neither is she as nonexistent as this guy thinks. If he gets ALL his information from the people that have decided they hate Carol ever since she changed names, got a little more feminist, cut her hair and (spoiler alert) killed Iron Man (conveniently forgetting that they didn't hate tony for getting Captain America killed in the first Civil War), then yeah she's going to seem like a really unpopular superheroine... because if you only surround yourself with, and listen to, the people who tell you what you want to hear, then you're only ever going to hear what you want to hear. But the world's broader than that. She's not as unpopular as this guy thinks, even the argument that Carol's fans are the sort that never buy comic books, they aren't going to be the sort that never go to the movies.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

If we are talking about least liked heroes, I want a movie of Matter Eater Lad
matter-eater-lad.jpg
matter-eater-lad.jpg (121.83 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
matter-eater-lad2.jpg
matter-eater-lad2.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 3198 times

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Marvel, before it went bankrupt and got bought by Disney, boasted about having a 1000 characters to use in movies. Disney is making good on that boast by making them into movies.

950 obscure characters on the shelf, 950 obscure characters. Take one down, make a movie, only 949 obscure characters on the shelf. …..
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
They could give Matter Eater Lad the weakness of lactose intolerance.

"You can try to nosh at my cheese helmet, Matter Eater Lad. But even if you achieve penetration, gobbling a stomachful of my cream sac will finish you off. Bwahahaha!"
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

^^^With typical British toilet humour, (re Matter Eater Lad) I'm just keen to see what comes out the other end. That fellow behind him in the escape tunnel is a brave, brave man.

Back vaguely on the topic. Obviously they are shooting now is there a release date that anyone has seen for Miss Marvel? No matter how tentative? I would guess at April 2019 -ish but just wondered if anyone had seen anything
Last edited by tallyho 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Early March 2019, intl women's day I believe
shevek
Producer
Producer

Femina - Staying on topic so I won't talk about D&C...the character of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel (as opposed to the Ms Marvel we saw in the 80s/90s/00s) *is* virtually unknown, and *will* have to prove herself almost as much as Ant-Man did. The movie probably will succeed simply because it's a Marvel movie, and hopefully it will break open doors for more lead superheroine films. Let's hope for good things and I look forward to seeing more clips from this upcoming production.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
They could give Matter Eater Lad the weakness of lactose intolerance.

"You can try to nosh at my cheese helmet, Matter Eater Lad. But even if you achieve penetration, gobbling a stomachful of my cream sac will finish you off. Bwahahaha!"
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

The green is so it can be adjusted for visual effects
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Blx wrote:
6 years ago
The green is so it can be adjusted for visual effects
I had wondered if the "green" was for that too but dismissed the idea when someone had suggested it was a nod to an earlier version of her colours. I guess with the green you can insert any shade or colour you want and give the illusion of it being lit in different manners, making it a hybrid CGI / real suit. Well whatever the reason I am looking forward to hearing more of the project as it goes on.

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dun think they'd go the Green Lantern route with the suit tbh. My guess is it's just the Kree warrior's base armor coloring... but I guess it COULD be for VFX, certainly can't discount it as a possibility save that Marvel's never actually done that before with their costumes.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 years ago
Dun think they'd go the Green Lantern route with the suit tbh...
Agreed, I wouldnt think they would do that full on extent either, but perhaps it is there to tweak for FX ...

AEM

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Nah I figure it's just the Kree warrior 'mass produced' armor she might get after she meets Jude Law's Mar-Vel. I mean, we can already wager on the proper colors turning up on the more Ironman esque 'sectional' armor in the proper color scheme from most of the concept art they showed at that comic con (I know Concept Art isn't a buy all and end all, but it shows at the very least what they were aiming for initially) There's also the fact that this almost certainly isn't the 'money shot' suit.

This is probably the 'action' suit... a good example of what I mean you can see even in the new 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' trailer. Look at all the current released images of the Wasp in her suit and you can see that it's pretty form fitting and doesn't look like it'd 'stretch' very well. Pause a frame of her in action in the new trailer and you can see its a lot baggier. They make a bunch of versions of every suit to be used in different circumstances. The boots are another give away, the way they just sort of... stop at the bottom and are regular shoes poking out the bottom. Dimes to dollars bets that suit isn't meant to pass a hard frame by frame inspection..... this is sort of the reason why I think twitter and facebook (and most of social media) are stupid. It's the 'YOU HAVE YOUR RELATIONSHIP STATUS SET TO SINGLE!!!!' effect. You get one quickly snagged photo of something on the set and immediately assume your boyfriend is cheating on you... rather than just taking a breath and waiting for something more official to come out.
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

Thats a nice hazmat suit she has on....I guess sentient chemical spills are the Big Bad in this one...

I'll think of this picture every time, going forward the haytaz get uppity about Gal Gadot's tits or Melissa Benoit's lack of bondage scenes....
:)
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I like this costume. This is exactly the costume she should have. That and a helmet of some kind.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
I wouldn't get too excited unless she is Colonel Brian Kane as thats his aircraft.
I think its just early promo stuff rather than filming
:D

Last edited by Abductorenmadrid 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Ooooo you trickster!

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Anyone check out the recent 'Life of Captain Marvel' Comics series? She let her hair grow back out... Dunno if it'll stick, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were gearing up to make her character more recognizable with the MCU version which we know from promo materials and such doesn't have the short hair.