Alex Danvers Goes Down the Deadpool - Saw Style Edition

General discussions about superheroines!

Alex Danvers Lives or Dies ?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

Lives
50%
Dies
50%

Total votes: 10
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

Will Alex Danvers survives next Monday in another episode of Supergirl ? Or Jigsaw will submit Superdamsel in Distress, or SuperDD for short, to her ultimate defeat and humiliation that might push her a little bit to far than anything else previously on that too long list of humiliating achievements ?
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Obviously Alex is too important a character for the writers to kill off but the question is what will her kidnappers demand of Supergirl to save her sister's life? Will it be something that SG agrees to that eats at her in subsequent episodes? We're coming up to the season finale so I smell a cliff-hanger in the cards.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

She dies, Team Arrow already finish their quotas of women in the freezer with a revolving door so it's for Team Super takes their righteous place in the greater schemes of gender equality and blonde incompetence.

And eventually maybe Supergirl learn how to save herself from embarrassment and humiliation more often.

Spoiler Alert : Next Melissa Jacobs stars as Supergirl on DrDominator9's DDFlix, no Scooby Doo Gang included but some Gang Bang implied since all script are exploits from the great author's source material and prosecution's court room evidence still on trial.
Bert

The never boring, forever off-kilter chameleon that is (currently) Mr. Loggins comes through again. Wading through the rapid-fire thoughts and quirky syntax is like doing crosswords or Sudoku, it's good exercise for my aging brain.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

No way they are killing off the flag ship token diversity character. Heck they would have killed off Jimmy Olsen if that were the case given he's a tragic death just waiting to happen.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SG is supposed to free the boss thug's father from prison because the WB can't waste a season on a prison break.

I can't see them killing off Alex when there are so many other characters they can do before salary renegotiating time.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

If the writers are worth their salt they WILL kill her off - then you have an epusode where SG copes with the loss etc, lots of angst, then she gets wind of an alien tech 'Lazarus' device that can somehow bring her back and so goes on some kind of quest for it possibly taking a two parter episode and voila you have both killed her and kept her at the same time. Thats what I'd do. But they arent me so of course they wont kill her or do any of that.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

If they didn't care to bring Laura Benanti from the dead, why they would care to play a Schrodinger's Cat inside Alex's coffin ?

She will die because Supergirl must cease to be incompetent and Chyler Leigh may join the growing Arrow verse Legion of Undead Super Babes.
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bert wrote:The never boring, forever off-kilter chameleon that is (currently) Mr. Loggins comes through again. Wading through the rapid-fire thoughts and quirky syntax is like doing crosswords or Sudoku, it's good exercise for my aging brain.

Absolutely right on!
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

She dies, that clears the way for Maggie to nail the 'other' Danver sister.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Yeah, Loggins, just caught up on the last 5 Arrow episodes, and you are certainly right about Arrow..they keep fridging (or appear to be fridging, in the case of Artemis) bit-part women in almost every episode (that recent "Kapushion" episode was super violent especially)..yet I don't see any internet protests about that, do you? As long as the ladies get the bare-chested Steve Amell in every episode what else do they care about.

Speaking of which, if you are looking for some hotness on Arrow, check out the episode "The Sin-Eater" featuring the three female criminals:
Lady Cop (another blonde comicbook character turned black on TV), Cupid and China White. http://cwtv.com/shows/arrow/the-sin-eater/ Also the new Black Canary (Juliana Harkavy) and the recurring Talia Al Ghul (Lexa Doig) are hot too. Just don't expect anyone to wear anything other than dark jackets.

But Supergirl is notedly PC and feminist, although not overly much so..she keeps saying a lot that she is her own woman, yet she also falls all over Mon-El. However they won't kill off the lesbian Alex (remember the huge uproar when they killed off Lexa in The 100?) and they won't kill off black Jimmy Olsen, either. Personally I think the lesbian relationship between Alex and Maggie is nice to feature, but it's also meaningless to the story..it does nothing to ever further the plot because Maggie does basically nothing and has no powers, so they just stick in these lovey-dovey interludes here and there to break up the stories a bit.

Also...very hot Killer Frost transformation last week on The Flash, and super sexy battle this week..Panabaker for the win! And the sexy female Top returns, as well.
Last edited by shevek 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

shevek wrote:Yeah, Loggins, just caught up on the last 5 Arrow episodes, and you are certainly right about Arrow..they keep fridging (or appear to be fridging, in the case of Artemis) bit-part women in almost every episode (that recent "Kapushion" episode was super violent especially)..yet I don't see any internet protests about that, do you? As long as the ladies get the bare-chested Steve Amell in every episode what else do they care about.
Actually I didn't watch Arrow since a long long time and thanks the next quotation I am about to know why.

shevek wrote:Speaking of which, if you are looking for some hotness on Arrow, check out the episode "The Sin-Eater" featuring the three female criminals: Lady Cop, Cupid and China White. http://cwtv.com/shows/arrow/the-sin-eater/ Also the new Black Canary (Juliana Harkavy) and the recurring Talia Al Ghul (Lexa Doig) are hot too. Just don't expect anyone to wear anything other than dark jackets.
For Cry Out Loud PPPPLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE Somebody can stop to ask them : "CAN YOU GUYS DO IT WORST ?" because their answer will be always "YES, Why Not ? We never like Spandex."
shevek wrote:But Supergirl is notedly PC and feminist, although not overly much so..she keeps saying a lot that she is her own woman, yet she also falls all over Mon-El. However they won't kill off the lesbian Alex (remember the huge uproar when they killed off Lexa in The 100?) and they won't kill off black Jimmy Olsen, either. Personally I think the lesbian relationship between Alex and Maggie is nice to feature, but it's also meaningless to the story..it does nothing to ever further the plot because Maggie does basically nothing and has no powers, so they just stick in these lovey-dovey interludes here and there to break up the stories a bit.

Also...very hot Killer Frost transformation last week on The Flash, and super sexy battle this week..Panabaker for the win! And the sexy female Top returns, as well.
Next on this never stop fashion trend If Alex Dies and Supergirl joins the Leather Trench-coat Brigade as the Dark Blue Powerless Ranger or Alex Don't Die and she and Maggie assumes their Velcro Trench-coats as the newest Pink Brown Rainbow Powerless Rangers.
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

Meanwhile on a side note.....

Taking in consideration how much Alex is by far much more competent than Supergirl would not be a lot more humiliating, adding insult to injury if Alex was an African American instead and played by the same actress.

Plot Twist : Alex Danvers is an adopted South African orphan which explains her natural combat readiness and skilled strength.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:Yeah, Loggins, just caught up on the last 5 Arrow episodes, and you are certainly right about Arrow..they keep fridging (or appear to be fridging, in the case of Artemis) bit-part women in almost every episode (that recent "Kapushion" episode was super violent especially)..yet I don't see any internet protests about that, do you? As long as the ladies get the bare-chested Steve Amell in every episode what else do they care about.
That's the Supernatural formula. They've been doing that for 10 years. No woman survives on Supernatural. And especially if she is a love interest of Sam or Dean. The fans are crazy.
As long as the ladies get the bare-chested Steve Amell in every episode what else do they care about.
This is my complaint/view as well. Its hypocrisy. Complaints about sexually exploiting women yet he is shirtless a heck of a lot. In fact they used to just play that shirtless work out montage over and over. So I don't see how things got better for women under a newer, more "liberal" world in entertainment. It seems its even more patriarchy. NCIS is the same way. The "hot chic" part character always gets replaced. Heck they put a bullet through one girl's head. And its always "real and gritty" as an excuse for 50 shades of gray. I think what has happened is fetish people like us got replaced by women abuse fetish guys who disguise their fetish as female empowerment. Dark Angel. Battlestar Galactica. Heck Battlestar was a female brutalization torture fest.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Yeah, Mr. X, but I think you're forgetting something: men get killed by the boatload in these shows, too. For example, every "Bratva" flashback in Arrow involves tons of Russian dudes biting it. In the recent Arrow episode with China White/Cupid/Lady Cop, those three women killed a whole bunch of dudes. The difference is simply the remnants of chivalry. We see the deaths of men as just meaningless flunkies, since we don't have a chance to identify with them or empathize with them most of the time. But the chivalrous bones in our body still regard women as precious pearls. As soon as we see a woman on the screen who has some lines, we think, "Oh, isn't she precious and beautiful. She looks like my mom/daughter/wife/girlfriend. We don't want her to be hurt." And then she's killed and we're like, "How dare they hurt the precious pearl?"
In my opinion, that's a protective natural instinct and it makes sense, but it's not feminist really. They're yanking our chivalrous emotions.

We need to get over that. I don't think that the killing of women in TV and film is about perpetrating some kind of agenda of female abuse. For example, one producer of Arrow (and director of many episodes) is a woman, Wendy Mericle. I think the killing is simply a ramping-up of overall violence in TV shows. Occasionally, there is a longrunning female character that people identify with (eg Black Canary or Lexa) and if that character gets killed, there's an outcry because Outrage Culture. But overall, if it's just a woman who appears in one episode, and is killed off to advance the story, it's no different than the bunches of dudes who are also killed off in that episode to advance the same story.

I appreicate Gail Simone's writing a lot, and I understand what she was saying in the '90s about fridging, but I don't think that's the case any longer. There are plenty of females writing and directing TV shows who would prevent that. I really think that these days it's just that there's more violence overall, which is necessary to grab the viewer's attention. If it's still fridging, then everyone is being fridged a lot. To make a statement about this, in the fourth episode of Her*ineburgh, I put in a blatant example of "same-sex fridging" (where a woman gets motivated by another woman's death). It takes all kinds of violence!
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

Last chance to make your bets, She Dies or She Lives ?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:Yeah, Mr. X, but I think you're forgetting something: men get killed by the boatload in these shows, too. For example, every "Bratva" flashback in Arrow involves tons of Russian dudes biting it. In the recent Arrow episode with China White/Cupid/Lady Cop, those three women killed a whole bunch of dudes. The difference is simply the remnants of chivalry. We see the deaths of men as just meaningless flunkies, since we don't have a chance to identify with them or empathize with them most of the time. But the chivalrous bones in our body still regard women as precious pearls. As soon as we see a woman on the screen who has some lines, we think, "Oh, isn't she precious and beautiful. She looks like my mom/daughter/wife/girlfriend. We don't want her to be hurt." And then she's killed and we're like, "How dare they hurt the precious pearl?"
In my opinion, that's a protective natural instinct and it makes sense, but it's not feminist really. They're yanking our chivalrous emotions.

We need to get over that. I don't think that the killing of women in TV and film is about perpetrating some kind of agenda of female abuse. For example, one producer of Arrow (and director of many episodes) is a woman, Wendy Mericle. I think the killing is simply a ramping-up of overall violence in TV shows. Occasionally, there is a longrunning female character that people identify with (eg Black Canary or Lexa) and if that character gets killed, there's an outcry because Outrage Culture. But overall, if it's just a woman who appears in one episode, and is killed off to advance the story, it's no different than the bunches of dudes who are also killed off in that episode to advance the same story.

I appreicate Gail Simone's writing a lot, and I understand what she was saying in the '90s about fridging, but I don't think that's the case any longer. There are plenty of females writing and directing TV shows who would prevent that. I really think that these days it's just that there's more violence overall, which is necessary to grab the viewer's attention. If it's still fridging, then everyone is being fridged a lot. To make a statement about this, in the fourth episode of Her*ineburgh, I put in a blatant example of "same-sex fridging" (where a woman gets motivated by another woman's death). It takes all kinds of violence!
Its not that women get killed. Its that some people rush to defend women from exploitation then kill these women off. And they don't care how many men die. A little absurd to complaint about showing some female skin on a show then be all into supergirl being tortured and electrocuted.

Also the deaths are absurd in these shows. Arrow for example. The team takes out a bad guy on the roof of a building who's doing some deal. so the team shoot, beat and kill about a dozen guys. Arrow shoots down a helicopter that crashes into the street. Did he check the street for bystanders? No. Was the copter rented and the pilot innocent... nah who needs to check. Will the resulting fire start a neighborhood on fire... bah I'm not a fireman. THEN he proceeds to lecture Black Canary on killing being wrong.
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

I will call shenanigans on that ending despite the fact Alex drown herself instead of hang on the top of the cage the whole night like she is supposed to be combat training ready to do so if necessary. Instead she give up and drown herself, Maggie and Kara would never go back there in time to save her if she didn't suddenly became a Greyjoy in order to survive her own Queen's Smoot.

Therefore, all hail the new Queen of Irony Islands.

Priest: Let Alex Danvers your servant be born again from the sea, as you were. Bless him with salt, bless him with stone, bless him with steel.
Alex Danvers: What is dead may never die.
Priest: What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger and with no copyright infringements since Alex Danvers is in fact the lost sister of Arthur Curry the Aquaman and the Danvers were in fact a Foster's home this whole time.

Alex Danvers extra officially joins the ranks of the Arrowverse Black Canary Corpses !
SecretSociety
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

One could say she's found herself in a zone. Of danger. A Danger Zone, if you will.
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

SecretSociety wrote:One could say she's found herself in a zone. Of danger. A Danger Zone, if you will.
No, you need at least a plane with a cockpit made for two Plus a dozen enemies ready to die not to mention a modicum of bromance.

A character with a death wish is just not the Klingon way to do it. But she gets the Schrodinger's Cat Award of the Week.

Next on the Deadpool : Lena Luthor's Final Alignment ? Lawful, Caothic, Awful, Good, Evil, Neutral ? Only time, wardrobe and make up will tell !
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

SecretSociety wrote:One could say she's found herself in a zone. Of danger. A Danger Zone, if you will.
+1 for including Danger Zone!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Well Mr. X, I think the recent Arrow episode (where Prometheus/the non-shaggy DA tortures Oliver Queen into admitting he loves the thrill of killing people) explains exactly why Green Arrow causes so much carnage without thinking about it. Because he can.

As for the Alex episode last night, fuck that. I only caught the last 15 minutes, but I feel that I didn't need to see the rest of it, because none of it advanced the story. Alex is saved of course (who didn't think she wouldn't, you can't kill a major character off let alone a lesbian that would evoke
a vast internet outcry). Maggie and Alex once again tell each other they love each other, they kiss yet again, but there's still no indirect intimation of
sexual intercourse, nor do they propose marriage or engagement to each other - it's like they're stuck in a GLAAD-award-winning loop because that's as far as TV standards (or DC comics' morality police, whatever) allow them to go. And then we get Rhea entering Lena's office again *just like she already did in the previous episode*. Basically a wasted episode for everyone except for those who might have gotten their jollies seeing a regular human woman (Alex) in peril.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The show also lacks an overall arching plot like Flash has. Flash is good cause they lead up to an overall story arch. even Arrow has that with prometheus. But Supergirl has some vague Cadmus plot and that's all.

I actually don't know how to react to this show. At first I complained there would be no erotica and there isn't. Not even sexy Arrow style chic outfits. The action was good. Some good slug fests but I thought the show would have no fetish appeal... but I'm wrong. It is fetish. Its just a girl beat down fetish. So in a way this stuff IS fetish, its just for a different group of people.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

The biggest problem with the show is still that Supergirl isn't very "super" and appears to be down right dumb as a brick in half of her battles. They don't appear to care too much about showcasing their main character and they keep jumping around to all of these stupid plots that don't add up to much in the end.
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

RedMountain wrote:The biggest problem with the show is still that Supergirl isn't very "super" and appears to be down right dumb as a brick in half of her battles.
To be fair, that's pretty faithful to most Superman comics and cartoons. Remember, half of Superman's rogues gallery does consist of normal guys he could punt to the moon before their next heartbeat. Writers have to make him forget half his powers two-thirds of the time just to get five pages of tension.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Supergirl may have just been a bad pick of a character for a weekly serial. A better pick would have been a much more depowered character that the writers have to figure out things for her to do/keep busy while staying withing budget.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I think if the storylines don't shape up a little more (I'm actually pining a bit for the 1st season now, with Indigo and Silver Banshee etc) a lot of people might give up on Supergirl unfortunately. Hope they can make future episodes more exciting and less disposable.

Otherwise we will need to start clamoring for the sexy "Jennifer Walters: Attorney At Law" show we so richly deserve.
"Jen? You in the bathroom? The judge is about to call you out for contempt!"
"Too..late...must..give..into..the..power..AARGGGH!"
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

Don't worry Marvel has a team of the best writers in Hollywood working 24-7 to ensure that any She-Hulk series will satisfy exactly none of you in any manner shape or form.