having fun updating effects

General discussions about superheroines!
rklein
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Hello everyone,

Since no one seems to want to hire me to do work for their video, I'm forced to amuse myself by updating VFX of some older shots.

Take a look at these two scenes:
WW-spin-v1.gif
WW-spin-v1.gif (9.64 MiB) Viewed 1757 times
WW-spin-v2.gif
WW-spin-v2.gif (9.38 MiB) Viewed 1757 times
First shot was created two years ago, second shot was created this week.

Some of you may think the first version is better....hell, some of you may thinks they both still suck ass! Fair enough.
But as I learn, experiment, and come up with new techniques, I like to apply new skills to some shots that I never thought were quite good enough....I leave it up to you to decide if I have improved in my visual effects skills.

Anyway, does anybody want to hire me? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

https://vimeo.com/165803235

http://www.flyingsuperheroes.com
www.flyingsuperheroes.com - please contact me for your editing, and visual and audio effects needs.

"Now, don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster, and larger than you are....and, I'm a genius!"
rklein
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Another shot I updated this weekend.
cartwheel_v3-Apple-ProRes-422.gif
cartwheel_v3-Apple-ProRes-422.gif (2.51 MiB) Viewed 1669 times
cartwheel-magic-AE-new.gif
cartwheel-magic-AE-new.gif (2.9 MiB) Viewed 1669 times

OK, I know nobody really cares about this. I'll shut up now.
www.flyingsuperheroes.com - please contact me for your editing, and visual and audio effects needs.

"Now, don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster, and larger than you are....and, I'm a genius!"
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

If things are a bit tight with the profit-making producers, maybe you could volunteer your services to some of the people making SH fan films for YouTube? On the condition that they include your logo and website address on the video's credits.

On the subject of your upgraded effects, while the new "gold dust" effect is much better technically, the 2015 explosion effect could be put to use as part of a spin transformation. It looks pretty close to the transformation effect from the Lynda Carter show.

The "gold dust" also may be best suited to positive scenes, rather than peril scenes. It has an inherently magical quality to it. If you want to convey an evil force, purple or green would suggest "black magic" much more.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

While playing why not add some grading also, always the easiest way to sell an effect - and would add soooo much to the shots, particularly the first one!
rklein
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Yes, HA, you're right. I do have a WW transformation scene in my demo reel and the color of effects of the red beam scene are quite similar....so I probably will change that this week. You are right and I know, purples and greens are much more closely associated with evil magics and peril/danger.

This past Christmas I did offer to do effects for free, for the first producer to contact me. One producer did quickly take me up on that offer -- but only one. Since I didn't get a lot of responses to that offer, it makes me think there isn't a lot of demand or need....which is perfectly fine. (I do VFX for MightyHypnotic for free whenever he needs it. I've attempted to contact Christina Carpenter and Kendra James from time to time and made offers to do work for them for free, but have never got a response from either.) But maybe I will start doing a lot more for free, if it gets my name out there.

Swampy - good advice. In my demo reel I do show a scene as it exists initially, and then after I add FX and color grading to the scene. But maybe I'll go back and grade these other scenes. Thanks for the thought. :)

rklein
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I've updated the scenes of my new visuals to make the colors more "sinister," and I added some color grading to most of the scenes in my demo reel. Not all, but most.

Original:
cartwheel-v1.gif
cartwheel-v1.gif (2.51 MiB) Viewed 1578 times
New VFX:
cartwheel-v3.2.gif
cartwheel-v3.2.gif (2.81 MiB) Viewed 1578 times
Original:
WW-swirling--agic-v1.gif
WW-swirling--agic-v1.gif (8.62 MiB) Viewed 1578 times
New VFX:
ww-swirling-magic-v3.gif
ww-swirling-magic-v3.gif (9.7 MiB) Viewed 1578 times
OK guys, if you've gotten this far into this message then you're at least mildly interested in what I do. Thank you very much for reading. If you are a producer and would like me to add visual effects to your project FOR FREE, please send me a message. I'm going to start doing visuals completely free of charge...for at least a little while...

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I actually liked teh double shot element in the first clip (don't get me wrong the green shot trail is better visually but her cartwheel avoided the first and second bursts in the first instance whereas in the reworked bit she just seems to casually dodge the single shot - the first one works better dramatically with the two burst thing

The second clip with the smoke shot explosion is excellent, but colour wise I prefer the light blue of the first version (I understand you are playing around trying to mix it up visually, I'm just saying my personal colour preference - the second clip but with the colour of the original)

But great work in both instances, well done!
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
rklein
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Tallyho - I was going back and forth on the number of energy projectiles - one or two - and decided on one. Maybe I'll change it, maybe not....I don't know....

But thank you for your words. You've always been very positive and supportive of my effects work and I appreciate it.