Aquaman 2: Lost Kingdom (Warner Bros, 2023)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Radiosilence on this one, apparently. Did anyone see it? I did.

To me, it was pretty much as good as the first one, except there were no surprises, because the elaborate visuals and the cast of characters
had already been introduced, and there is nobody really significant who is new. So it had to rely a bit more on story than just 'ooh & aah' factor.

The difference is that Amber Heard's role was way pared down to about 15 minutes total and only *11 lines*, even though she still got to save
Arthur's ass *twice* in the movie. I'm assuming this was 'punishment' for the negative publicity she caused to the franchise for the past year or so.
I mean, there was so much activity that I know a couple of Youtube broadcasters that became 'Amber Heard channels' for a while because it was so easy to get clicks that way.

Word is that she still fulfilled her contract, though, and got paid $2 million because they had no choice. Fair enough. She was hot as usual, though.
Most movies don't allow costumes to be that tight and sexy these days, but Mera is still an exception, so maybe we'll see some hot cosplay of her again in 2024 Comicons. Nicole Kidman was hot, too, in that white bodysuit. No point in being anything but sleek and streamlined underwater.

I'm also hearing that nobody is going to see this because there's no hype for it and because of the additional hate for Amber Heard.
That's too bad because as far as Momoa and Wilson go, this is a decent outing and a strong message about family and the closeness of brothers.
Positive masculinity rather than the toxic kind. Plus a bit of a climate change message but then you've heard about that for a while.

I'd probably give it a 7/10. Any thoughts?

64fefbf1a39a1b00190cfa07.jpg
64fefbf1a39a1b00190cfa07.jpg (365.21 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

It's a shame, I always like the Mera character and the idea of her finding some Atlantian perils had potential... Maybe they will replace her in future installments. Not enough hot women in catsuits thrashing about in the water, I always say...
shevek
Producer
Producer

sneakly wrote:
4 months ago
It's a shame, I always like the Mera character and the idea of her finding some Atlantian perils had potential... Maybe they will replace her in future installments. Not enough hot women in catsuits thrashing about in the water, I always say...
Yeah...if you can't find restraining, squirming tentacles in the ocean, where CAN you find them? (Outer space is the answer to that.) One command from any underwater character who can control cephalopods, and every orifice of Mera and Atlanna gets probed. Maybe little Topo gets in on some of that action, conducting a steamy interspecies affair with Mera behind Arthur's back!

But as far as future installments, unfortunately I think that this is probably it for Aquaman movies for quite a long time, since this sequel is tanking so badly and will probably not break even after promotional costs etc.

Momoa is most likely going to play The Main Man in Gunn's re-booted DCU, a role he is perfect for (I really hope they don't tone down the arrogant asshole he often is in the comics. And same with Guy Gardner. They could duke it out, even.)

Heard, however, will hopefully plummet into the abyss like Black Manta did in the movie, as is her due.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
4 months ago

To me, it was pretty much as good as the first one, except there were no surprises, because the elaborate visuals and the cast of characters
had already been introduced, and there is nobody really significant who is new. So it had to rely a bit more on story than just 'ooh & aah' factor.

The difference is that Amber Heard's role was way pared down to about 15 minutes total and only *11 lines*, even though she still got to save
Arthur's ass *twice* in the movie. I'm assuming this was 'punishment' for the negative publicity she caused to the franchise for the past year or so.
I mean, there was so much activity that I know a couple of Youtube broadcasters that became 'Amber Heard channels' for a while because it was so easy to get clicks that way.

Word is that she still fulfilled her contract, though, and got paid $2 million because they had no choice. Fair enough. She was hot as usual, though.
Most movies don't allow costumes to be that tight and sexy these days, but Mera is still an exception, so maybe we'll see some hot cosplay of her again in 2024 Comicons. Nicole Kidman was hot, too, in that white bodysuit. No point in being anything but sleek and streamlined underwater.

I'm also hearing that nobody is going to see this because there's no hype for it and because of the additional hate for Amber Heard.
That's too bad because as far as Momoa and Wilson go, this is a decent outing and a strong message about family and the closeness of brothers.
Positive masculinity rather than the toxic kind. Plus a bit of a climate change message but then you've heard about that for a while.

You have to wonder why with all the bad press for Heard they did not recast her
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago
She probably had a good contract that would cost WB too much to recast.

Now the horror of a WB and Paramount merger could mean even more good content being scrapped to reduce their costs. Look at what they kept.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago
shevek wrote:
4 months ago

They probably were following the don't throw good money after bad maxim. The studio probably figured recasting and re-shooting was not going to pay off in ticket sales. The current logic seems to be superheros have run their course and they need to cut their losses on these projects. I haven't seen the new one, so I can't say it is good or bad, but the DC movies have been an expensive mixed bag. They dumped Batgirl and WW 1984 was pretty bad along with Batman vs Superman. So they released it hoping they could recover some of their costs.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Most people probably don't give a shit about the gossip and will just enjoy watching the kind of woman who most men would gladly let ruin their lives slink around the screen in that shiny green outfit.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

I have no issues with Amber Heard. She's gorgeous. A lot of people are shitty (pun intended) and so is Johnny Depp. So what. She's a good actress, and brings a certain hotness to the screen.
shevek
Producer
Producer

DonShip wrote:
3 months ago
I have no issues with Amber Heard. She's gorgeous. A lot of people are shitty (pun intended) and so is Johnny Depp. So what. She's a good actress, and brings a certain hotness to the screen.
I agree with all that, but the fact of the matter is this movie is not doing well, and the negative publicity surrounding her for the past year is one of *several* reasons for that. Her negative repulsion is so great that it almost cancels out the positive attraction of Jason Momoa, and that is hard to accomplish. No need to harp on this either way, it's just a fact that the movie is not going to break even, and she hurt its chances of doing that.

The movie is worth seeing, and I saw it. If you have no particular problem with whatever Heard has done (separate the art from the artist, not hard to do) and you want to see sexy Mera on the screen, you should see it, too. Just be aware you're not going to see a whole lot of her, and there should be other reasons to go: it's a decent story, and the visuals are great. Plus the humorous diversions of the likes of Topo and Kingfish (played by Martin Short!) are generally welcome "Unda Da Sea" (as Sebastian the Crab would sing).
argento
Overlord
Overlord

final (88).jpg
final (88).jpg (656.99 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
I have not yet seen the film. Regarding the legal punishment she received, I hold no ill will towards actress Amber Heard. I disagree with the culture of denial and find it difficult to understand why some people take it personally. Returning to the topic at hand, I find her to be very attractive. In fact, according to the golden ratio, she was listed as having the most beautiful face in the world in 2016.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago
Maybe they liked working with her on the first movie?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lurkndog wrote:
3 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago
Possible but if they got rid of the far more tlaented and popular Jonny Depp from 2 franchises there is a double standard

Especially as Heard was found to be a lair
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I won't see it cause it doesn't really matter. I saw the first one and it was ok. Out of the last 5 or 6 super offerings people seem to rank it just worse of Guardians 3. But since the universe is rebooted who cares what happens.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Some Octopussy tentacle peril for the ladies would have worked and been very welcome!! Maybe some fish hook jokes too....
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 months ago
Some Octopussy tentacle peril for the ladies would have worked and been very welcome!! Maybe some fish hook jokes too....
Anal hook, Anal hook... they are very different... I wouldn't mind her getting ye' olde tentacle rape or may be some constriction.

What probably was the killer of her career was her dropping the deuce on his bed. A woman taking a crap on your bed, even a hot one is going to be a visual that is hard to get past for a lot of people. She dropped a couple of points for that one.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
4 months ago

the DCEU has been such a train wreck over the years that I just wouldn't go and see one at the movies (that saide Aquaman 1 and Wonderwoman 1 were a huge departure from the rest of the dross but the wonder woman sequal and the shazam sequal were absolutely panned so not risking it on aquaman 2 when it'll be out to stream shortly)

Disney (I think) has basically choked the life out of the Marvel franchise, churning out a ton of sub par content locked behind Diseny plus that makes you think you won't get the plot of any new Marvel movie.

I'm not sure that superbros have run their course, I think Avengers et all worked because it was chugging towards a big final moment, like a sort of extended box set and it told for the most part a decent story and you got invested in the characters.

Now both ends are just sort of meat hanging off a corpse, DECU flopped conceptually because Snyder does beautiful cinematography but can't do a story and MCU is literally all over the place and hasn't figured out it's new cast and new story arch.

soooooo, cricling back, yeah Mamoa is great, could not care less whether it's Amber Heard or someone who looks a bit like Amber Heard in the Mera role, will probably watch AM2 when it comes to netflix etc but won't pay extra for the family to shlep to the cinema for it
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 months ago
Lurkndog wrote:
3 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago
Possible but if they got rid of the far more tlaented and popular Jonny Depp from 2 franchises there is a double standard

Especially as Heard was found to be a lair
Jonny Depp hasn't been more talented in a long time. He has been coasting hard. And by most accounts he is unprofessional as fuck.

Hollywood will forgive people a lot if they turn up on time and in condition to shoot. Jonny Depp hasn't been that since the early Pirates movies, and even then only maybe.

Given the increased costs of shoots now (still a thing since Covid I believe) the kind of guy who at best only might show up, will definitely not know his lines, and might need to be dried out for an hour or two before you can work with him, that guy isn't going to be popular.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Even the nasties say this movie is OK. Someone rated it just slightly worse than Guardians 3. So not a total flop but no one is going apparently.

It just doesn't offer anything since that world ends anyway and they reboot.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

I will not go see it. Honestly, it is because I've never cared at all about Aqua Man. Not even a little.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DonShip wrote:
3 months ago
I will not go see it. Honestly, it is because I've never cared at all about Aqua Man. Not even a little.
He's funny as comic relief in shows like Harley Quinn, because he's a soggy posh lad who talks to fish. And that's about it. No scope for anything past that because bloodless CGI of sharks bumping into each other is inevitably crap.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Well Aquaman had always been the butt of jokes until the Justice League and JLU animated series turned him into a badass.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works