Kraven the Hunter (2023, Sony)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

In movie theaters in October.

Not enough info to tell if Ariana DeBose (whom I've never heard of, sorry - there's this alternate entertainment pop culture universe where people are huge fans of movie musicals, and I'm simply not a part of it whatsoever) is going to be a sexy Calypso.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson, however, certainly has the hero movie pedigree to play the part, having been both Kickass and Quicksilver.
Plus, Rhino is in it! And I like the shots of London.

I can't help but think how this is movie is basically the *replacement* for the cancelled Black Cat/Silver Sable film. I wish they had somehow been able to do both.

Anyway, I'll definitely check it out given the brutality of the trailer. We could use a couple more good rated-R superhero flicks. I'm sure we'll see lots of male cosplay of Kraven soon at Cons from the same dudes who dress up as Thor.

Update: To get familiar with a screen version of Kraven again, I watched The Spider-Man Animated Series (1994) episodes S1 E7, and S4 E4 featuring
his battles with Kraven.

These episodes are great, and they feature lots of sexy, smart and complex female characters right smack in the middle of the un-PC 1990s: Black Cat/Felicia Hardy, Debra Whitman, Mary Jane Watson, and the character I was looking for: Calypso (who in the cartoon is a biological scientist). If the Calypso in the movie is anything like this portrayal (i.e. a scientist who acquires animal huntress powers) it should be a good time. Looks like in the movie, if she has any primeval attributes, it'll be associated with voodoo (closer to her comics portrayal than the cartoon) but that can work fine.
Last edited by shevek 10 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So he got bit by a radioactive Lion?
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Thanks for the heads up on the trailer Shevek. And for a trip down nostalgia's way, I'm reminded of this series as it was one of the more intense Spiderman storylines from my childhood:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/events/25 ... _last_hunt

It was an intriguing storyline at the time.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's Morbin' Time. Or whatever this guy says I dunno.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sugarcoater wrote:
10 months ago
Thanks for the heads up on the trailer Shevek. And for a trip down nostalgia's way, I'm reminded of this series as it was one of the more intense Spiderman storylines from my childhood:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/events/25 ... _last_hunt

It was an intriguing storyline at the time.
Kraven was a great anti-hero in that series.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

This isn't Marvel, it's one of Sony's spinoffs of their Spider-Man license, like the Venom movies.
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

Wonder how they're going to shit out 3 more movies' to make the Sinister Six team up movie
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Oh geese.... Sony's REALLY hardup for this crap...

I find it particularly funny how in comic books, in Spidey's circle of stuff... Black Cat has GOT to be a more popular character than Morbius or Kraven... like... fourth string Spidey Villains... but somehow on Sony's watch we've got more spinoffs about VILLAINS than even attempts at other Heroes from the Spiderman comics and the only reason I can think we're getting f'kn KRAVEN instead of a Black Cat film is cause we just gotta get more dude headlined flicks so... here's the next character nobody really wants to see a solo film about!

Hit-Girl would be proud of Kick Ass though I guess... he really buffed out and took this vigilante thing to the next level!
Last edited by Femina 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
10 months ago

I find it particularly funny how in comic books, in Spidey's circle of stuff... Black Cat has GOT to be a more popular character than Morbius or Kraven... like... fourth string Spidey Villains... but somehow on Sony's watch we've got more spinoffs about VILLAINS than even attempts at other Heroes from the Spiderman comics and the only reason I can think we're getting f'kn KRAVEN instead of a Black Cat film is cause we just gotta get more dude headlined flicks so... here's the next character nobody really wants to see a solo film about!
Probably cause girl characters do not sell.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
10 months ago
Femina wrote:
10 months ago

Probably cause girl characters do not sell.
Neither did Morbius, a film with a Strong Male lead, and it died WELL before it's audience response too... the kind of numbers it pulled were indicative of an audience that full on, didn't care. Wonder Woman sold just fine, cause people cared about the character, even it's crappy sequel WOULD have if not for Covid... before people had a chance to learn it was a bad sequel. Captain Marvel did not BOMB despite a FLOOD of negativity directed at it because of the strength of the popularity of the MCU. Gender has nothing to do with it, the idea that it does is just a collective psychosis that film makers keep learning isn't real anymore but keep believing anyway. They wanna make money they should make films about the POPULAR characters, and spiderman all on his lonesome over there has a VERY limited pool to draw from, but he does have at least a few allies in his arena that could pull SOME audience interest vs this weird fourth string Villains crap they keep pulling... I mean shit, if you're gonna just do Spiderman villain films... at least make it the GOOD villains? They tried Venom so... fair, but then they skipped the obvious ones. Doc Oc AT LEAST deserved a film before Morbius or Kraven? They're so far down Spidey's punching Bag it's amazing!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Femina wrote:
10 months ago
Black Cat has GOT to be a more popular character than Morbius or Kraven...
It would have been nice to have a Black Cat/Silver Sable film, but we didn't necessarily need it.
All we really needed is a nice sexy portrayal of Black Cat in a regular Spider-Man film.
We haven't got one, but instead we have Venom, Carnage, Kraven & Rhino.