DoubleU Tee Eff

Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

lKdoOJZyCC.png
lKdoOJZyCC.png (183.01 KiB) Viewed 812 times

This is from the latest issue of Wonder Woman. What's next? A red burka?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

She's showing too much bare leg, so they'll go with the last Supergirl TV season costume.
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I took a stab at fixing it...

Mary.jpg
Mary.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Last edited by Ernie 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Ernie wrote:
1 year ago
This is from the latest issue of Wonder Woman. What's next? A red burka?
WTF indeed, but you "buried the lede", as they say.
Here's the whole page you clipped that Mary Marvel from, and the following page as well of the Olympian foes.

By the end of this issue, Mary Marvel loses her entire costume and is literally fighting in T-shirt and jeans, so the idea there was to eliminate all
the attractiveness of that character and just make her look like the imaginary target demographic for their readership.

The rest of the female characters are just as flat-chested and covered-up. This is art by Chilean-Canadian Amancay Nahuelpan.
He does great work, but you can tell he's getting instructions to tamp down on sexiness.

I've just posted an equivalent from DC in a thread about the latest Power Girl comic: Marguerite Bennett makes her characters look like fancy fashion plates, but not so much like superheroines. Instead of "good girl art", it's art made by good girls.

This is just how things are nowadays - you either have to accept it, or not buy the books (many people choose the latter). I understand the impulse to go around fixing other people's art, but that's not a solution: those companies are not going to care. And they're in cahoots with shill websites (ComicsBeat, CBR, Bleeding Cool, etc.) who all want to keep the male gaze permanently out of the industry.

There's even a significant number of comic shops who adhere to the same ideology. I have lots of personal experience with them.

Hence, step away from current Marvel and DC, and look at the movement of Youtube comic creators: if you want to make something sexy, you have to do it yourself. And I've been posting about them for years right here in this subforum.
Wonder Woman 798 p6.jpg
Wonder Woman 798 p6.jpg (770.93 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Wonder Woman 798 p7.jpg
Wonder Woman 798 p7.jpg (576.74 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I didn't alter the image to fix the industry, I just hated the look they gave Mary and thought I'd try improving on it as a personal challenge. But I am kind of flabbergasted that Grace Fulton's look and costume in the latest Shazam movie is way, way sexier than this comic interpretation.