Rampage. Really?

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember playing this game in a pizza shop by my school because I was bored and it was the only game there, (besides Xenophobe, which was even worse!) I can't imagine what the discussion was like to make a movie out of this game. That must've been one hell of a sales job!
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The most disappointing thing in this trailer is that you get to see A-10s going up against monsters, which should be cool, but they use a daft little machinegun sound effect for the A-10 guns. Sounds like something out of WW1.

An A-10 should sound like this:

That's right, of all the things to get fussy about, I'm going to fuss about the absence of a BRRRRRRRRRRT. :)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

To be fair that does sound like a fart.
Not so much badass as bad ass. :giggle:
I spent 14 hrs in the same pub on Saturday and little did I know I wasnt farting, I was doing A-10 gattling gun impressions. :lol:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:
6 years ago

I remember playing this game in a pizza shop by my school because I was bored and it was the only game there, (besides Xenophobe, which was even worse!) I can't imagine what the discussion was like to make a movie out of this game. That must've been one hell of a sales job!
I believe their only sales pitch was that Dwane Johnson had agreed to be the male lead. And Dwane Johnson agreed to be male lead because they threw a lot of money in his direction.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

All I know is they destroy Chicago which is a good thing.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I had no idea this was taken from a videogame.

Definitely gonna wait for Netflix on this one.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah, my reaction was pretty much the same. Rampage movie? Why? What does this actually take from the video game? The story? There wasn't one. The characters? There weren't any. So what the hell is this nonsense? :-P
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

TIEnTEEZ wrote:
6 years ago
Yeah, my reaction was pretty much the same. Rampage movie? Why? What does this actually take from the video game? The story? There wasn't one. The characters? There weren't any. So what the hell is this nonsense? :-P
Not going out on a limb here when I say it's a huge cash grab. Dwayne Johnson may find his brand tarnished if this flops. But not to worry his upcoming sequel "Jumanji: Into the Swamp of D.C." should polish it right up again. :rolleyes:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Get on with Shazam already.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I dunno, Battleship turned out awesome so this could be pretty good, so long as it doesn't take itself too seriously

There's probably enough soul crushing harrowing realism in cinema already and a but of stupid escapism sometimes hits the mark (granted, it's a small target)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Battleship?
Awesome?
'Look! Up in the sky!'
'Is it a bird?'
'Is it a plane?'

'Nope , its my respect for your movie opinion flying out the window' :giggle:

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Battleship?
Awesome?
'Look! Up in the sky!'
'Is it a bird?'
'Is it a plane?'

'Nope , its my respect for your movie opinion flying out the window' :giggle:
worth watching just for the "we've still got a battleship" line

plus, Thunder Struck

plus Liam Neeson as a senior US admiral as ever played without any change in accent whatsoever

plus Rhianna

plus Sgt "let's see if we can't buy planet earth one more" day; Nerdy guy "who talks like that"

plus playing actual battleships

plus alien balls with tails
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Too late now , respect has left the building.
I'd call it (Battleship) wank, but thats disrespectful to wank.

For me the best bit was when the year of copyright came up in the end titles.

Rampage just looks like your standard alien/monster type shoot em up. It'll do ok cos kids want to see monsters destroy cities and fight each other, especially in the far east, so I dont think it will damage him professionally.
He's a decent actor, good at ad-libbing, great sense of comic timing and physically an impressive presence. He has had his mental health demons which does help give his characters a little more depth to draw on in certain scenes.
He's never gonna win an Olivier award but then his goal is to entertain people and he does, so good on him.
I like my plots, so this aint for me, but if I was 10 I'd want to go see it.
Last edited by tallyho 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
great sense of coming timing and physically an impressive presence.
I, err, I think you and I are watching wildly different Dwayne Johnson films
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I cant thumbs up you here, or I would.
Actually that might fall into the other Dwayne Johnson films category also!

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Full disclosure, I am actually a big Dwayne Johnson fan. His comic timing is far better than people think. He played gay in the movie Be Cool and was charming in it. And his role in Central Intelligence was also very well handled I felt. He's a different kind of everyman than Tom Hanks but you're generally pulling for his characters in all his films. Phew, I feel so much better getting that off my chest.

MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
Full disclosure, I am actually a big Dwayne Johnson fan. His comic timing is far better than people think. He played gay in the movie Be Cool and was charming in it. And his role in Central Intelligence was also very well handled I felt. He's a different kind of everyman than Tom Hanks but you're generally pulling for his characters in all his films. Phew, I feel so much better getting that off my chest.
Well I tend to agree with you. Im pretty sure this whole thing got greenlighted because he signed on.

Maybe he can star in a Galaga remake next. Or Excite Bike
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
He was also really good in the 2008 Get Smart! movie with Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway.

Man, that movie is ten years old now?
Night_Lantern
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I basically agree with what you guys said. Johnson is an entertainer through and through and though this movie looks ridiculous he’ll come out fine. As you say tallyho, he won’t win Olivier Awards but I don’t think he’s going for that (at least right now). I was a huge doubter when he announced his intentions to act way back when. But I give the guy credit: he keeps going and he is damn entertaining to watch. Really liked him in Jumanji and he has added a new dimension of enjoyment to the Fast and Furious movies. Wish him well with everything.
TheodoreBerry
Neophyte
Neophyte

I watch the trailer for Rampage movie looking awesome movie. Does anyone know where I can watch it online?
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Since this movie was just released, it won't be available to watch online at all for about three months.

TheodoreBerry
Neophyte
Neophyte

Three months. :sad:
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting stats about this movie, only 34 mil here in the states but 114 mil overseas and the movie was released within a day of each other....

Had a budget of 120 mil.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... le2018.htm
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

^^^As I say it will clean up in the far east

TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
TIEnTEEZ wrote:
6 years ago
Not going out on a limb here when I say it's a huge cash grab. Dwayne Johnson may find his brand tarnished if this flops. But not to worry his upcoming sequel "Jumanji: Into the Swamp of D.C." should polish it right up again. :rolleyes:
I just don't get what this movie gains by association with a video arcade game from back in the 80s that wasn't even that popular. :-P
If Johnson wants to make a monster movie, I'm sure he can. In fact, I just saw an ad for another Johnson vehicle called Skyscraper which I didn't think was based on anything else, but now I'm wondering if the movie isn't based on the Demi Levato song. :-P