Spinnerette (webcomic)

shevek
Producer
Producer

I would like to introduce you to one of my new favorite superheroine comics of all time...and this one is a webcomic!

Below you can see the creative team behind Spinnerette, the spider-based superheroine who has the powers of a spider but also has eight arms.
Heather Brown is a lab scientist who undergoes a gene-inducement experiment and gains those powers and physical attributes.
She lives in Columbus, and her pals in that city are the heroes Mecha Maid (with whom she eventually forms a strong lesbian relationship) and Tiger (just don't call him Black Tiger even though he's black!).

The people below created this series:
studio.jpg
studio.jpg (82 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
The Spinnerette crew: Gonzalo Duarte, Walter Gomez, Fernando Furukawa, Rocio Zucchi, Krazy Krow (front.)

Spinnerette exists as a webcomic, but it's also now available in five trade paperbacks (Vols 1 through 5) because they've already up to issue 26.
You can read the comic, and buy the physical graphic novels, at this website: http://www.spinnyverse.com
There's also a patreon where for a donation you can get access to NSFW (ie, extra sexy) comics that exist within the Spinnyverse.

Basically I love this comic because 1) it has lots of progressive elements (racial diversity, lgbt characters etc) without being preachy about any of them, 2) it's very funny, 3) it's well drawn and 4) there's a lot of sexy moments in it and tons of shapely women. Spinnerette's costume is designed as sexy from the get-go, the character seems to revel in it, and it never gets toned down or changed to be "modest" for any sjw standards. To be honest, Spinerette has an incredibly toned muscular body, great tits and a nice-as-hell spiderbutt, and we see all of that again and again from every angle, Frank Cho style. There are tons of elaborate and extended fight scenes where the characters are put into peril.

In that respect, it reminds me somewhat of books like Empowered, Invincible and Bomb Queen because the writing is so self-aware and plays with comic book tropes. It also has a style that is half Western and half manga. One thing I also respect is that during most of the best Spinnerette issues, there are a couple pages that unusually have some kind of shocking revelation or some kind of emotion-grabbing incident. To the extent that comic books should make you feel and care about the characters, this book succeeds greatly on that level. Another thing I love is how much nerdy science and comicbook lore the writer includes..it makes the reader feel that lot of excellent geek love has been put into the project. In other words, this comic ticks all my boxes.

Just look at some of the choice panels that I've pulled out some of the first issues. (Don't worry, eventually they start using color)

And these are all back from 2010! Krazy Krow and his team have produced about 30 issues since then. Iread through all of them in 3 days. Can you tell I enjoyed this book quite a lot? Will post more about it later.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Spinnerette ("Ohio's #3 superhero") is apparently still going, and she has a new graphic novel coming out called Mayhem in the Midwest. I saw an ad for it in the margins of Bleeding Cool, and it links to a Kickstarter for the tpb.

The Kickstarter page has already raised about four thousand more than its goal, but if you still feel like contributing there are eight days left. Some of the money, though, seems like it's going to the production of a big flush stuffed spider.

In the meantime here's a sexy picture of the alternative-universe 90s Spinnerette with about as many pouches as Rob Liefeld might draw.
90sspinnerette.jpg
90sspinnerette.jpg (64.22 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Spider characters are REALLY hot now....looks cool, wish i had that many arms!
aliased
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

I backed it today (last day), previously backed some Spinnerette so you know you're gonna get your stuff.