Question for producers regarding custom videos

Get latest info and chat with your favorite producers!
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hi,

I've been dabbling with purchasing custom videos and I have a few in the works.

But I have tons more ideas and I'd love to hear from some content producers about how the process works, how I, as a customer, can keep costs down, and how to get the most out of my custom video. :)

Please feel free to discuss the subject in any way that appeals to you, or if you need a little help, here are some questions:

1) What do you charge for custom videos?

Some producers charge by length. Others charge by content. Some charge by number of models. One producer I spoke to charges based on how specific your script is - in other words, the more vague it is, the less it costs. The way he explained it to me was that if he has more control, he can add in more elements that will make the video sell better and so I have to bear less of the cost.

2) What's the best way to present my custom video idea?

Do you want a complete screenplay? Does it have to be in screenplay format? Does it matter? What about turning a story format into a video? I've been providing these Word document with descriptions of each scene, costumes, characters, etc. But some scenes don't really matter as much as others. So would it be good to simply list some key plot points for those? Do I have to spell it out when I write a scene that is deliberately vague and I expect the content producer to flesh it out?

3) What are the best parts of making custom videos?

Do you like getting new ideas from customers? Are there really any new ideas?

4) What are the worst parts of making custom videos?

What drives you crazy? Do you hate it when someone wants something really specific? Or is it worse if the story is too vague? Do most of your clients e-mail you too much and drive you nuts? Or do you prefer a constant give-and-take?

Thanks for any and all advice you can offer. :)
FightGirlz2000
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

To answer your questions (at least from our perspective):

1) "What do you charge for custom videos?"
Most producers will have an area of their websites that provide detailed pricing options for customs. And usually if the customer has specific requests (wardrobe, location or additional preformer requirements), the producer will work directly with the customer to ascertain those requirements and price them accordingly.

2) "What's the best way to present my custom video idea?"
If you have a detailed script (i.e., specific dialogue, wardrobe, etc.) it may take time for the producer to respond to your initial request, as most just don't have the time to read every custom script submitted to them. A good rule of thumb would be to submit a short summary, or backstory, to the producer and take it from there.

3) "What are the best parts of making custom videos?"
For us it's blowing the customer away with the finished product! We always attempt to take the custom script or idea way beyond what the customer expected or even hoped for, and so far - at least from the feedback we've been getting - we're succeeding. There;s nothing more rewarding than getting an email from a customer who raves about the finished product we deliver to him/her.

4) "What are the worst parts of making custom videos?"
Delivery deadlines. Performer schedules, location availability - even weather - often wreak havoc with shooting schedules, and custom customers often have a difficult time understanding that most performers have full-time jobs, classes, family obligations, etc., that can make things difficult for even the best-intentioned producers to coordinate in a timely manner.

Hope this helps.

- John
http://www.FightGirlz2000.com
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

TIEnTEEZ wrote:Hi,

But I have tons more ideas and I'd love to hear from some content producers about how the process works, how I, as a customer, can keep costs down, and how to get the most out of my custom video. :)

Please feel free to discuss the subject in any way that appeals to you, or if you need a little help, here are some questions:

Some producers charge by length. Others charge by content. Some charge by number of models. One producer I spoke to charges based on how specific your script is - in other words, the more vague it is, the less it costs. The way he explained it to me was that if he has more control, he can add in more elements that will make the video sell better and so I have to bear less of the cost.

Do you want a complete screenplay? Does it have to be in screenplay format? Does it matter? What about turning a story format into a video? I've been providing these Word document with descriptions of each scene, costumes, characters, etc. But some scenes don't really matter as much as others. So would it be good to simply list some key plot points for those? Do I have to spell it out when I write a scene that is deliberately vague and I expect the content producer to flesh it out?

What drives you crazy? Do you hate it when someone wants something really specific? Or is it worse if the story is too vague? Do most of your clients e-mail you too much and drive you nuts? Or do you prefer a constant give-and-take?

I know for me personally...I find that purchasing custom videos can be complicated at time but in the long run, it's worth every penny and that's a good thing. For me personally when I decided to create Supergirl in the watery Trap, the company i asked to film the custom video were very professional. they came me all kinds of shots in different angle so I can keep my options open and pick the shots I want to use/editing into the fan film. All I had to do was write up.create a script, provide the costumes/props and pay for the production fees/model fees (Me and my partners and donations help that happen) In the end, it was well worth it.
:supes: Watch all of W.O.N/MMP's Superheroine World Underwater Peril Fan Film Series, only on W.O.N Cinema YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/woncinema
Rifferus
Producer
Producer

TIEnTEEZ wrote:Hi,

These seem fairly fair. For us at Grace Productions with Samantha Grace, the rates are entirely dependent on the script. We can't know what it's going to cost to even make it without knowing what's going to be required. Studio fees, model fees, special effects, editing time can all affect the price of a custom. The best way to know is to send the outline of the idea (how many girls, where it would need to be shot, costume "musts", and details about the type of action involved (ie combat, stripping, traps, etc).

For me, the more specific, the better. Also, it's a good idea to format it with certain elements stated right up-front.

For instance:

Scene 1:

Who:*Superpowerdgirlcharacter* wearing (insert costume here) and *evilseductresslady* wearing (insert costume here)

Where : (setting...)

Implements : (insert toys, weapons, ties or devices that will be used here)

Action: (Describe the scene in the order you want to see things happen, with dialogue notes or lines where applicable)

Sometimes we get customs that are ordered with the script written in book format (ie

Superpowerdgirlcharacter longed for the days when she was a quiet college student without the responsibilities that came with crime-fighting, but knew that... etc etc ).

These are nice, but un-filmable. It's best that you can describe the action or events in clear, concise terms, such as

Superpowerdgirlcharacter enters the lair cautiously, looking for the villainess. She remains quiet, staying close to the walls. Suddenly she is lit up by a spotlight and the villainess taunts her from a walkway nearby

Villainess: I see you fell for my trap, Superpowerdgirlcharacter! Now you will suffer at my hands!

The villainess throws a vial to Superpowerdgirlcharacter's feet and smoke rises from the shattered glass. Superpowerdgirlcharacter begins to convulse and choke... etc etc

This makes it easy to know what you would like to have happen without much guesswork, and is very easy to read and refer to when shooting.

If your idea is more vague, then we'll be "filling in the blanks" but it also means you may not be getting what you'd hoped for, just our best guess at it. Which is fine if you like surprises..:)

There may not be "new ideas", but there's always something we haven't done before. Samantha Grace and I have done some Karate Ballet videos as customs that are a treat to do, because it's inherently fun (and funny), because it's not something you see every day, even if it is in-line with combat videos.

It's hard to say. Certainly the most difficult to do is decipher really complicated concepts that aren't clearly stated, and sometimes you can THINK you're doing what your client is asking for only to discover that an odd wording or very convoluted idea got misinterpreted. Obviously open communication can help, but when you don't know you're misunderstanding what's being asked for you can end up shooting what you thought they wanted and miss the mark, which is frustrating for everyone.

When it comes to emails, so long as it's not a daily "Have you shot it yet" when you've been given a timeframe we're still in, it's not really a problem. Understand, as much as we'd love to, we don't have too much time to chit-chat through emails, so if it's not about your order it may not get replied to straight away. Obviously, if you were told "3 weeks" and we're into week 4 or 5 for waiting, it's entirely fair to ask where your order is. At the very least, if it was already sent and Yahoo or Gmail shunted to notification to your spam-box, then we'd like to know so your order can be gotten to straight.

The other would be last-minute revisions, which Samantha Grace and I have a strict "Once we have received payment, the script is locked" policy on. More often than we'd like, the revisions involve activities that have to do with actress limits or would affect their rates (ie originally wanted topless, now wanting full-nude erotic with toys).

It's actually a great set of questions. Honestly, knowing how to best meet what our clients have in mind and whether it can be reasonably achieved makes our lives and yours MUCH easier. The less guesswork, the better.
CaliLogan
Producer
Producer

Rifferus sums it all up pretty well for you. I was going to copy and paste a script outline, but I enjoyed the ones he posted, so that's no longer necessary.

Every script is going to be different, so asking how much a custom will cost to produce is a tough question to answer. Obviously something like The Batman movies with explosions, elaborate costumes, several actors and locations will cost more to produce than, lets say, Cast Away.
After reading a script, a producer will have an idea of how long it will take to produce. Let's say you have a 20 minute script with fight and peril scenes that will take about 2 hours just to film.... All of the models I hire have rates starting at $100/h with a 2-3 hour minimum. So if you have 2 models in that clip, you're looking at least $400 (for non-explicit content)

Now, I have to organize the costumes, scripts, sets and edit the clip. Plus, hire someone to film (which can range from $25-50/h) so you can expect that many producers will add a fee to offset these costs. Since I'm lucky enough to shoot at home most of the time, I don't have to worry about studio space, but for the times I have had to rent something, it's usually around $50/h with a 3 hour minimum. In LA, I know some spaces can be up to $150/h.

So production price for that 20 minute, 2-girl clip should start around $450/500 and go up depending on your requests.

If you want to keep costs down, talk to the producer to see what costumes and props are already available. This way, they wont have to purchase them specifically for your video, which will drive the price up for you. Sexual content is also an upcharge, so if its not something that is a must have, leave it out.
Again, Riff gave great insight on this. Think about all of the things important things that you would like to see. If you're super specific, its difficult to hit every single note without the video costing an arm and a leg. Most people can get their peril scenes, wardrobe requests and setting ideas down to a page or so.

If you would like to see an example of the information I ask for, check out the Custom Submission Form on my website: http://caliscustoms.com
Happy customers. I think that any producer likes to be proud of his/her final product, and good feedback from the person who orders the custom makes you feel like you're justified in doing your job.
When customers want to add or change things to their script after everything has already been agreed upon. I print out the scripts and all of the information I need to produce your custom once you pay. Ex- emailing me to wear high heels instead of boots might get overlooked since its not in the script and we have to rely on my memory. Its really hard for me to piece together your script from a chain of emails over 10 days. General rule of thumb, if its not in your script, don't count on getting it in your custom.

Riff already touched on my pet peeve. I always give a shoot date. Some people don't realize that we simply cant work 24/7 and email me all weekend asking for their clip I filmed on a Friday night. 3 business days for regular edits and up to a week for clips that requires special effects is my general turn around for editing. If people continually email me before that, it really makes me feel pressured and I might spit out your clip over the weekend to get you off my back, but its not going to be the top quality. A little bit of patience goes a long way.

Hope that helps :)
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

CaliLogan wrote: After reading a script, a producer will have an idea of how long it will take to produce. Let's say you have a 20 minute script with fight and peril scenes that will take about 2 hours just to film.... All of the models I hire have rates starting at $100/h with a 2-3 hour minimum. So if you have 2 models in that clip, you're looking at least $400 (for non-explicit content)

Now, I have to organize the costumes, scripts, sets and edit the clip. Plus, hire someone to film (which can range from $25-50/h) so you can expect that many producers will add a fee to offset these costs. Since I'm lucky enough to shoot at home most of the time, I don't have to worry about studio space, but for the times I have had to rent something, it's usually around $50/h with a 3 hour minimum. In LA, I know some spaces can be up to $150/h.

So production price for that 20 minute, 2-girl clip should start around $450/500 and go up depending on your requests.

If you want to keep costs down, talk to the producer to see what costumes and props are already available. This way, they wont have to purchase them specifically for your video, which will drive the price up for you. Sexual content is also an upcharge, so if its not something that is a must have, leave it out.
This leads me to an interesting follow-up question. Everything you listed here are your costs to make the video. But I've dealt with a number of producers and there seems to be a difference in their philosophies on this... how much of the costs do you pass on to the customer?

Some producers only pass on a fraction of the cost. Presumably, they expect to make up for it with video sales on Clips4Sale or other sites.

Other producers seem to want to pass on the entire production cost to the customer ordering the video. In fact, I got into a somewhat heated e-mail discussion about this with one particular producer.

What do you think is a fair cut here?
FightGirlz2000
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Here at FightGirlz2000, we usually only pass along additional costs to the customer when they are requesting something (location, props, etc.) that we are not likely to use again in the future. In addition, if a customer requests items (such as costumes for example) that we already have available, we of course do not add costs to the order.

As Cali noted, communication with the producer is the best way to keep costs under control and the final delivered product in line with the buyer's original vision.

- John
FightGirlz2000.com
CaliLogan
Producer
Producer

I think every producer is different regarding the amount of cost they pass onto the custom client. Some people don't make much off of clip sales, so producing customs below cost doesn't make sense. I know I have personally lost money on customs several times. Chalk it up to a learning experience and figuring out how much I should charge.

When you add up all of the time I spend preparing for, filming and editing a custom, if I know it's not something that will sell enough for me to make a profit on, I have to charge enough to make the hours of work worth it.

Typically, I charge the person ordering for the models time, plus $50-100 to cover things like small props, bits of wardrobe, prep and editing time.

When it comes to props, I generally eat the cost for things under $25 or so. Unless it's something that I have to spend half a day running around New Jersey to find. Then I might have to charge you $1,000,000 dollars extra cuz I hate driving, and really hate shopping ;)
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

What the person requests to be included in the video would have an impact on how much of the cost the person would be asked to cover. Some people have very unusual interests that they would want in a custom film. The resulting film would generate few, if any, additional sales on Clips4Sale or some other site.