Batgirl ( 60s) vs Catwoman ( julie Newmar) Who would win.

General discussions about superheroines!
Batfetish
Sargeant
Sargeant

In my opinion, by a Catfight Catwoman would win. Because Ms Craig (Batgirl) had even a big problem to defeat Blackcat. Batgirl won only because Chief O Hara hold Blackcat.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

When you say "Blackcat", do you mean Catwoman as played by Eartha Kitt?
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yvonne Craig said in a reunion show that she was glad Julie Newmar was replaced because she came up to Julie's belly button. The height difference would have been like in the scene where Catwoman (Julie Newmar) was standing between Robin (Burt Ward) and Pussycat (Leslie Gore) and towered over both of them.
Batfetish
Sargeant
Sargeant

Heroine Addict wrote:When you say "Blackcat", do you mean Catwoman as played by Eartha Kitt?
yes, I mean Blackcat!!
Richpartist
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well,Catwoman never played fairly so I quess she would win.She would just spray some ko gas at Batgirl and she falls to the floor :)
Zeta Clark
Sargeant
Sargeant

I think it would be Catwoman, because I doubt the producers wanted Batgirl to upstage Batman and Robin in a physical fight scene. Batgirl's fights looked more like choreographed dance maneuvers with swings and kicks.

Zeta
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Batfetish wrote:yes, I mean Blackcat!!
Is that a name you came up with for Eartha Kitt as Catwoman? I've never heard anyone use it before. Eartha has always just been the third actress to play Catwoman to me.

It sort of reminds me of the Motherfucker from Kick Ass 2 giving his employees un-PC names such as Black Death and Genghis Carnage.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Who would win? Whoever the writers wrote to win. But just a straight ahead hand to hand, kick to kick fight, Julie would probably win.
Visitor wrote:Yvonne Craig said in a reunion show that she was glad Julie Newmar was replaced because she came up to Julie's belly button. The height difference would have been like in the scene where Catwoman (Julie Newmar) was standing between Robin (Burt Ward) and Pussycat (Leslie Gore) and towered over both of them.
Heights of actors is a consideration in casting.

I know someone who was on set to do a PSA with Bill Shatner and was let go cause Bill said he was too tall and wouldn't do the PSA with him.

No doubt in my mind Julie 5'11" was replaced with Eartha 5'4" when Yvonne 5'3" was cast as Batgirl. Julie and Yvonne standing in a scene together would've looked, even if they didn't fight, like Julie could easily overpower Yvonne. With Eartha, they look more evenly matched.

If Burt Ward was taller then Adam West, he wouldn't have gotten to be Robin. Lynda Carter's Steve Trevor had to be taller than her. Adrianne Palicki's Steve Trevor had to be taller than her.

Bummer though. I'm a big Julie Newmar fan.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ehhhh I dunno. Lots of people saying 'Catwoman definately' except that Catwoman was the villain of the 60's show. Tbh I think we can be fairly certain that if a straight one on one match between the two of them ever occured (without Batman and Robin's assistance) than Catwoman would have beaten Batgirl, tied her up in a needlessly complicated trap from which Batgirl would escape and then ultimately defeat Catwoman. So basically. Batgirl would 'win' because she was the hero of the episode.

That was the whole formula of the show...
Batfetish
Sargeant
Sargeant

Heroine Addict wrote:
Is that a name you came up with for Eartha Kitt as Catwoman? I've never heard anyone use it before. Eartha has always just been the third actress to play Catwoman to me.

It sort of reminds me of the Motherfucker from Kick Ass 2 giving his employees un-PC names such as Black Death and Genghis Carnage.
IT is her original Name. Remember it was the 60`s. Another time then yet
Superman246o1
Henchman
Henchman

Batfetish wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:

In what episode was she referred to by that name?
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Batfetish wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:

Nope. Eartha was cast and credited as Catwoman. :ybat:
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Given that on Batman '66 the heroes always won, it would be Batgirl. If we stop treating it as fiction and enter the world, taking it all as real, I think Catwoman would win initially. Batgirl would defeat her in the end, but she'd have a couple of difficult encounters with her foe before she got there. But... that's also what happened regularly on the show. :laugh:

I think Bat-foes always lose in the end because most of them aren't actually in it to win, as it were. They're getting something else out of it, probably something a little different for each villain. The heroes are playing to win, insofar as "winning" for them means upholding the law and capturing their foes. The villains aren't precisely playing to lose, but because they aren't driven to win, they might as well be. Otherwise they'd just shoot Batman, or stick around and wait until that death trap has definitely succeeded.

I am in the camp that feels the hero(ine) should always win in the end, however, so I may merely be failing to think beyond my own preferences and preconceptions.
Gus Goreman, Jr.
Henchman
Henchman

Batgirl (60s) could beat Catwoman (juile Newmar) because on the television show we've seen Batgirl fight and defeat male enemies. Of course, fighting for Batgirl isn't anything more than "villain waits to be kicked", but we've never once seen any of the Catwoman do anything physical to her opponent (besides some yucky kissing on Batman).
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Gus Goreman, Jr. wrote:Batgirl (60s) could beat Catwoman (juile Newmar) because on the television show we've seen Batgirl fight and defeat male enemies. Of course, fighting for Batgirl isn't anything more than "villain waits to be kicked", but we've never once seen any of the Catwoman do anything physical to her opponent (besides some yucky kissing on Batman).
Well, there was that one time, when the Eartha Catwoman got into a short grappling match with Batgirl. Batgirl won, but possibly only because her allies were right there on the sidelines. The two seemed pretty well matched, until Batgirl whirled Catwoman toward Chief O'Hara. Julie's Catwoman would have had advantages over Batgirl based on height and weight, in such a situation. :unsure:
Gus Goreman, Jr.
Henchman
Henchman

cdrei wrote:
Well, there was that one time, when the Eartha Catwoman got into a short grappling match with Batgirl. Batgirl won, but possibly only because her allies were right there on the sidelines. The two seemed pretty well matched, until Batgirl whirled Catwoman toward Chief O'Hara. Julie's Catwoman would have had advantages over Batgirl based on height and weight, in such a situation. :unsure:
I've never seen this episode and I thought that I've seen every episode of Batman (even the ultra-rare episode with Redd Foxx as the Special Guest Villain)
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Gus Goreman, Jr. wrote:I've never seen this episode and I thought that I've seen every episode of Batman (even the ultra-rare episode with Redd Foxx as the Special Guest Villain)
Oh, man. :laugh: Now I gotta get out of my chair and go get the Bat-Book, so I can provide episode names and numbers. Just when I was comfy, too. :laugh:

It would be episode 111, "The Joke's on Catwoman". That's in season 3, the second part of the Catwoman-Joker teamup two-parter. It's the one with Batgirl caught in Catwoman's Cat's Whiskers. At the end, there's a rather silly courtroom scene, which descends into a Bat-fight. In the course of the melee, Catwoman is finally apprehended when Batgirl throws her into the waiting arms of the police, after the two of them struggle with one another for a few seconds.

If you've seen all the episodes in recent years as reruns, it's possible that the scene was cut. The show often seems to have scenes cut to allow more advertising time. Shows were longer back then. :unsure:
Attachments
catfight1.jpg
catfight1.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
catfight2.jpg
catfight2.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
catfight3.jpg
catfight3.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
catfight4.jpg
catfight4.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
catfight5.jpg
catfight5.jpg (37.16 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Thanks for the :ybat: caps & info. I don't recall seeing that before.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Boucldey
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Visitor wrote:Yvonne Craig said in a reunion show that she was glad Julie Newmar was replaced because she came up to Julie's belly button. The height difference would have been like in the scene where Catwoman (Julie Newmar) was standing between Robin (Burt Ward) and Pussycat (Leslie Gore) and towered over both of them.
Was Julie Newmar the tallest Action Girl of all ? Who would win...Catwoman Julie Newmar or Catwoman Michelle Pfeiffer ? Catwoman Julie or Batgirl Alicia Silverstone ?
krispin21
Henchman
Henchman

I'm into good girls defeated. Here I'm quite sure Catwoman should be far stronger with her larger body in a real fight.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Zeta Clark wrote:I think it would be Catwoman, because I doubt the producers wanted Batgirl to upstage Batman and Robin in a physical fight scene. Batgirl's fights looked more like choreographed dance maneuvers with swings and kicks.

Zeta
Not sure about the upstaging, Batgirl did upstage them especially Robin whose IQ and fighting ability halved that season.

Yes Craig is short but the high kick would hit Newmar's jaw

Like Newmar with CG Craig is the definitive Batgirl ala Emily Addison
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Catwoman always fought dirty and having her fight a fair fight with batgirl would be a disappointment. It would deny Catwoman the pleasure of putting batgirl of her deliciously deadly bat-traps. I would certainly have enjoyed seeing Batgirl writhing in the clutches of any Catwoman... well maybe not Halle's, but in the clutches of Newmar and the traps she classically supplied for dynamic duo would have be a treat.

So, no Batgirl was always destined to be defeated and I wouldn't have it any other way.