Would you join an adult site if it offered rar/zip files?

General discussions about superheroines!
tonyz63
Neophyte
Neophyte

I'm just curious after a continuing pm chat I've been having with MacroLass... Would you join an adult site more readily if the site offered their content in rar or zip form?

Maybe an admin here can make the question into a poll with yes/maybe/no/doesn't matter as 4 choices.

Waiting to see opinions,

Tony
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I sell my content as zips. I don't seem to have any complaints. I know some people want straight streaming cause they can't store stuff on their machine.
tonyz63
Neophyte
Neophyte

Mr. X wrote:I sell my content as zips. I don't seem to have any complaints. I know some people want straight streaming cause they can't store stuff on their machine.
Where is your content located at? I thought you were associated with Metrobay... Which only offers streaming and right/click save as...

And I would really like to hear from non-artist/writers that subscribe to these various sites. I see people reading this but only one response so far.

Thank-you,

Tony
tonyz63
Neophyte
Neophyte

So there has been over 80 people that viewed this thread but the only reply outside of my own are from a site owner... No one else has any opinion?

I find that hard to believe. There are over 19,000 members and no one is saying anything.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

I don't even know what's the purpose of the question ... I mean, who can't handle a zip/rar file nowadays ?
korda
Henchman
Henchman

I don't mind having to unpack small files up to 100MB, but larger files, especially with almost 500MB or 1GB, yes, those I would be bothered.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tonyz63 wrote:
Mr. X wrote:I sell my content as zips. I don't seem to have any complaints. I know some people want straight streaming cause they can't store stuff on their machine.
Where is your content located at? I thought you were associated with Metrobay... Which only offers streaming and right/click save as...

And I would really like to hear from non-artist/writers that subscribe to these various sites. I see people reading this but only one response so far.

Thank-you,

Tony

No I am not associated with Metrobay in any manner nor am I part of Superheroine central. You can find my work at www.dangerbabecentral.com. Both a store and membership site.
tonyz63
Neophyte
Neophyte

helstar wrote:I don't even know what's the purpose of the question ... I mean, who can't handle a zip/rar file nowadays ?
The purpose of this question is to discover whether or not a site like Metrobay Comix would do more business if they offered their content in a zip/rar format. Currently they only offer right click/save as and online streaming.

I find it very convenient when a comic is offered as a bundled file. Right-clicking/save as can be very tedious when you want to read the story right away. Also there are comic readers that give you east navigation to read them.

I do see the point of offering right click for new stuff but the older stuff should be given archive status and offered as a bundled file...

Size doesn't matter for me (although if you are downloading a 500MB/1GB or larger file, then I hope it is a movie or site rip). :tongue:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well its a lot easier to pirate and repost a zip file than it is to get each picture separately then have to bundle them. And some people cannot store zip files. I had a customer from the military in Afghanistan who could store NOTHING on his machine so he could only view pics then wipe the cache. But there are plenty of people who can't just store a zip file somewhere. Also you'd be very surprised at the number of people who don't know what a zip file is nor know how to extract pictures from one. I've had customers who didn't even know how to set up emails.
blurb9
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

As of the last time I read up on it, RAR is still a non-standard format, not officially supported by Windows so you have to obtain additional software to make it work on your machine, not something I personally am generally a fan of since the more and more stuff you add to a Windows box generally the slower it gets and the flakier it gets. ;-) Seems to have been a private initiative to compete with .zip format compression, which while itself a private venture is at least almost a de facto standard and the last versions of Windows I had could handle it without having to obtain extra software, at least as far as unzipping a standard .zip formatted file. RAR, on the other hand, you either have to buy the software, take chances on freeware, etc. Personally I don't care to see RAR propagated, just one more non-standard thing to have to deal with. I understand it has its fans, I just am not one of them for technical reasons.

Not really interested so much in compressed versions of movies as a personal advantage to me, although for some with limited bandwidth or disk space I can see the advantage for them, so as long as it is zip and not rar I don't care if things are compressed for their benefit. I do think a zipped bundle download for pictures, on the other hand, is very helpful, though, as having to click through 20, 30, whatever individual pictures for a photo shoot to download each and every one individually quickly gets very annoying. '-) Being able to dowload a zipped bundle of the whole photoshoot is an advantage.
Zeta Clark
Sargeant
Sargeant

It would depend on the content for me.

Stories - Most are small enough to not need archiving compression.

Comics or pictures (single page) - Same as stories. Usually small enough to not need archiving compression.

Comics or pictures (book's worth or a gallery of photos) - Compress please. That said, I do hate downloading something blindly, especially if I paid for the content. Viewable samples need to be made available, so that I will be enticed to pay and download the entire collection.

Videos (clips <15 minutes long) - stream

Videos (full movies) - If I have access to it all the time, then streaming is what I prefer. But if the material rotates out or if I purchased it, then I want to download a copy. In those cases, I prefer compressed files that I can extract on my computer.

Ultimately, if the content is worth it for me, any bit of inconvenience is worth going through to get that material.

~Zeta
tonyz63
Neophyte
Neophyte

blurb9 wrote:As of the last time I read up on it, RAR is still a non-standard format, not officially supported by Windows so you have to obtain additional software to make it work on your machine, not something I personally am generally a fan of since the more and more stuff you add to a Windows box generally the slower it gets and the flakier it gets. ;-) Seems to have been a private initiative to compete with .zip format compression, which while itself a private venture is at least almost a de facto standard and the last versions of Windows I had could handle it without having to obtain extra software, at least as far as unzipping a standard .zip formatted file. RAR, on the other hand, you either have to buy the software, take chances on freeware, etc. Personally I don't care to see RAR propagated, just one more non-standard thing to have to deal with. I understand it has its fans, I just am not one of them for technical reasons.

Not really interested so much in compressed versions of movies as a personal advantage to me, although for some with limited bandwidth or disk space I can see the advantage for them, so as long as it is zip and not rar I don't care if things are compressed for their benefit. I do think a zipped bundle download for pictures, on the other hand, is very helpful, though, as having to click through 20, 30, whatever individual pictures for a photo shoot to download each and every one individually quickly gets very annoying. '-) Being able to dowload a zipped bundle of the whole photoshoot is an advantage.
I think someone other than Mr X finally understood what I was asking! :) But yes I was thinking more about pics than I was about vids... As far as the rar/zip debate that will continue forever. When it comes to the adult comics, there is a program that when you convert the zip/rar over to cbz/cbr you can read the comic right on your pc... Cdisplay was made especially for comic scans. There are other comic readers out there but I only use cdisplay.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

For me putting a single movie into a zip file makes no sense since you don't get any savings out of it. Maybe it compresses the file header a bit. Now multiple files makes sense since you want to deliver them all at once. But as I said before on a subscription site with photo stories I'd rather make someone work and download each pic than to make it easy for them to grab a zip and throw it on some torrent site somewhere
staggerlee
Sargeant
Sargeant

Mr. X wrote:But as I said before on a subscription site with photo stories I'd rather make someone work and download each pic than to make it easy for them to grab a zip and throw it on some torrent site somewhere
The problem with this line of thinking, is you're solely inconveniencing the customer by assuming all, or at very least, most of them are thieves who are going to pirate your material. That's why I don't do subscription sites anymore, UNLESS they offer zips/rars of the photo sets. I'm not paying $20-30 a month to scroll through every photo set and manually save every image, that's absurd.