Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Official Teaser Trailer #1

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

You can't really blame them for deciding to do something else. I'd have loved the Thrawn Trilogy (Mara Jade is my fave star wars character of all time) but that's a story that's been done and holds no surprises for anybody. They want to try and recapture the spark of the original movie with this film, and to do that you need to go in cold.

I'm more interested in the stuff it looks like they are doing right. They're only using cg where its needed, there's practical effects galore, they really have the tone and vibe of the originals down, dogfights are back... but I want to see the evolution of the series as well and from what I've seen it looks like they are going deeper into what it MEANS to have been a storm trooper (so it may be that badshot fodder soldiers are gone?) the villain's iconography could be interesting. I'm stoked that the main hero appears to be the girl for once!

I'm all in at this point.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

With my cynical hat on there is a very good reason why all of the non-movie stuff was written off. Simply because they want to sell more non-movie stuff and the existing stuff gets in the way.

Bottom line is though, none of it happened. The stuff they say never happened never happened, but it never happened just as much as the stuff they say is canon. It's all a big fat zero on the 'Happened Scale'. Such is fiction. Is a bit of fanfic or outdated merch canon? Probably not, who cares? We're past the point with Star Wars where anybody can really claim with any creative legitimacy to owning its stories exclusively*. It's part of our collective culture now. Interpret how you want, acknowledge what you want.

*That's not the same as copyright law, which is fucked. I just mean so many people have worked on or written Star Wars stuff, canon and non canon, it's up for grabs in my opinion.