Batgirl 1966 Barbara Gordon apartment

General discussions about superheroines!
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I have converted my floor plan for Barbara Gordon's apartment from Batman '66 into a 3D layout. This uses Sweet Home 3D, a free home design program which allows one to walk through the scene like a video game. I have uploaded the project file to my website, here:

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/~cagepage ... or8_8.sh3d

Sweet Home 3D must be loaded on your computer to use the file. http://www.sweethome3d.com/

Note that the Sweet Home installer will try to install some junk adware if you do not forbid it to do so. If you load SW3D, pay attention while you install it, to avoid adding the unwanted junk. It's nice software, otherwise.

I thought this might be interesting or useful to some folks here. I hope I have placed this post in the right sub-forum. It's superheroine-related (sort of), but also maybe more off-topic (sort of). :unsure:
Attachments
Floor8_6.jpg
Floor8_6.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Floor8_5_2.jpg
Floor8_5_2.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (88.34 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Very cool. :)
Leadpoison
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I'm always looking for useful tools that help me set up art scenes. May just have a look, thanks!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

awesome! I gotta check out that tool.
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Sweet Home will export a layout to obj format, which could be useful for Poser or 3D gaming, or some other application, but the exporter is rather primitive. It will export whatever is currently selected, all of it as one object. There is Java code for a batch exporter on the SW3D forum, but I haven't gotten around to learning how to compile it with Eclipse yet, to test how well it works. I found that, for use in Poser, a SW3D export needed to be pulled into Wings 3D (or some equivalent) to have the sharp edges properly defined to cooperate with Poser's automatic smoothing. Textures also do not preview properly on obj directly exported from SW3D and imported into Poser, but processing through Wings corrects that.

It might also be worth noting that SW3D triangulates models which it imports. I built Barbara's bedroom furniture using all quads, but upon export from SW3D they are all tris. That isn't necessarily a problem, but it might make a difference for some uses if one intends to use SW3D as part of a 3D graphics workflow.