Superman Lost issue 8 - White Suit Supergirl

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Have you seen the new 'white suit' supergirl costume?

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/113774685

complete and functional in that it protects her from Kryptonite radiation.

It's not a terrible look, but a little plain looking... Sorta like Powergirl with less skin showing?
Attachments
Supergirl - White Suit.jpg
Supergirl - White Suit.jpg (203.74 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

Its always weird when they try energy white. It looks like they couldn't bother to color/shade the suit.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Kitten wrote:
4 months ago

It's not a terrible look, but a little plain looking... Sorta like Powergirl with less skin showing?
No. It's a terrible look.

If you're going to do a costume which is majority white, you either have to have lots of inked black folds and lines to offset it,
or other colors (including the possibility of flesh) which complement and frame the white parts.
(for DC characters see Power Girl, Doctor Light, Kyle Rayner, etc. for Marvel see Emma Frost and Storm.)

Otherwise, you're right, it just looks like empty space that someone forgot to color...a 'white hole' essentially.
Now, if you shaded it with silver or gray to emphasize the suit's sexy contours, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

That requires DC hiring good artists and inkers. And they wonder why fans aren't buying like they used to.
And there is already a Kryptonian female wearing a white costume-Power Girl! Give my girl her red and blues, and bring back her skirt!

My 2 cents.

shevek wrote:
4 months ago
Kitten wrote:
4 months ago

No. It's a terrible look.

If you're going to do a costume which is majority white, you either have to have lots of inked black folds and lines to offset it,
or other colors (including the possibility of flesh) which complement and frame the white parts.
(for DC characters see Power Girl, Doctor Light, Kyle Rayner, etc. for Marvel see Emma Frost and Storm.)

Otherwise, you're right, it just looks like empty space that someone forgot to color...a 'white hole' essentially.
Now, if you shaded it with silver or gray to emphasize the suit's sexy contours, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
spandex4fun
Sargeant
Sargeant

I read the issue of it. I agree it’s plain & could look better as either a gray or gold in my opinion.
Just a man who loves powerful ladies in skintight spandex. Tight is right.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Agreed...

They have gotten lazy on this particular presentation, but as noted by Shevek, properly done, it could come out significantly nicer.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Kitten wrote:
4 months ago
Agreed...

They have gotten lazy on this particular presentation, but as noted by Shevek, properly done, it could come out significantly nicer.
The fact that Screen Rant (one of the major shill sites) likes it, citing two main reasons:
1) distinctiveness from Superman
2) a supposed "spiritual / angelic" look

makes me want to reject it entirely, even if it does wind up better looking with contoured gray, silver or gold.

https://screenrant.com/supergirl-new-co ... low-crest/

However, with all this hullaballoo, I very much doubt that the white covering will be her new suit anyway.
Nobody - and I mean nobody, from the oldest Super-Family comic book purchaser to the youngest little girl cosplaying Supergirl at a Comicon -
would be Ok with it.

And anyway, I went to RCO and read the issue in question (Superman: Lost #8, just came out this month, by Christopher Priest)
and in that issue she only wears the suit for two panels (including the one you've shown) and then she takes it off.
She was apparently only using it as a precaution to Super-Punch Metallo, who has a Kryptonite heart and had absorbed a fleet of Chinese warships.
She only plays a minor part and is only in that issue for two pages, anyway.
Plus, Superman himself *also* wears a similar white suit (for protection, I assume) for 2 pages in that same issue, when he is interacting with
Adam Strange and his wife on the planet Rann.

Nothing to be alarmed or to write home about, most likely.