John Wick director to do a remake of Highlander

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235578215/

I was a fan of the TV series which was far better than the movies in my opinion.

As a man I would want to look like and be Duncan not Connor

Adrian Paul who is a trained martial artist had much better sword fight scenes

The stories and villains were far better
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Okay so this is how I accidentally discover that Ana de Armas is in a John Wick spinoff called Ballerina next year.

I could watch Ana de Armas do her taxes so her in a John Wick-a-like movie is perfection.

But, yeah, Highlander movie could be a hoot. Would be interesting to see who gets to be the Kurgan. Does this generation have anybody with the gleeful menace and gravitas of Clancy Brown? Other than Clancy Brown himself I guess.

I thought the movie was trashy nonsense and the TV series was much more coherent, but, you get Queen doing a full soundtrack, you get Chris Lambert and Clancy Brown fighting with swords and it doesn't need to be coherent.

Edited to add, Josh Brolin as the Kurgan maybe? But he's only nine years younger than Clancy Brown, almost not worth it.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hopefully they really train for the sword fights and don't do quick cuts of a few hits on a darken set. Back then they really prepared and with the TV show version they wen t into the different styles that you don't see in more recent shows.

The film's fault was there too much material in too little time. That could be addressed in a series with plenty of time to cover the background and bring in the Watchers and more characters.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
7 months ago
Okay so this is how I accidentally discover that Ana de Armas is in a John Wick spinoff called Ballerina next year.

I could watch Ana de Armas do her taxes so her in a John Wick-a-like movie is perfection.

But, yeah, Highlander movie could be a hoot. Would be interesting to see who gets to be the Kurgan. Does this generation have anybody with the gleeful menace and gravitas of Clancy Brown? Other than Clancy Brown himself I guess.

I thought the movie was trashy nonsense and the TV series was much more coherent, but, you get Queen doing a full soundtrack, you get Chris Lambert and Clancy Brown fighting with swords and it doesn't need to be coherent.

Edited to add, Josh Brolin as the Kurgan maybe? But he's only nine years younger than Clancy Brown, almost not worth it.
Niether Chris Lambert or Clancy Brown knew what they were doing anymore than the guy who played Jackob Kell did

Paul had some good fights with the actors who played Grayson, Hyde, St Cloud, Clay and the fight with Donnie Yen in the movie

As much I love Queen's music thats not enough anymore than Celine Dion could save the awful Titanic movie
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I can't say I'm looking forward to yet another Highlander. Loved the original to death, but it seemed like every attempt to recapture the magic of the first movie met with diminishing results.

Most of the sequels failed at the script level, though, so maybe if they have a great script...
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The original only ever worked as a one-off. It was right there in the tagline "There can only be one!"

The sequels were like "There can only be one! But we'll find a way to bring in some others."

The Terminator films had a similar problem after T2. They had reached a natural conclusion but we still ended up with a bunch of contrived and contradictory continuations with Judgment Day moved back a few years due to reasons.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I saw a podcast interview where Clancy Brown said he never got paid for doing Highlander
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

Mr. X wrote:
7 months ago
I saw a podcast interview where Clancy Brown said he never got paid for doing Highlander
Probably taken out of context.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

He said he did not get paid nor got residuals.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

There can only be one version of Highlander IMO.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
7 months ago
So Brown is claiming when he signed on for the movie, he did not sign a contract which state he would be paid the following amount. Or is he claiming the student reneged on his contract. I don't buy it.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
7 months ago
Mr. X wrote:
7 months ago
So Brown is claiming when he signed on for the movie, he did not sign a contract which state he would be paid the following amount. Or is he claiming the student reneged on his contract. I don't buy it.
If you listen to the whole story the movie was a gamble. Once Connery was signed on all of a sudden they got investment money. Plus the main actor and Connery got percent of profit. Could be Clancy is saying he got a flat fee but no percent or residuals.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
7 months ago
If you listen to the whole story the movie was a gamble. Once Connery was signed on all of a sudden they got investment money. Plus the main actor and Connery got percent of profit. Could be Clancy is saying he got a flat fee but no percent or residuals.
So, he got paid, but he didn't make as much as Lambert and Connery, because he went the safer route and got a flat fee instead of a percent.

Frankly, that's on him. And it's not even a case where he made a mistake, because sometimes getting paid up front is the better move.

Also, kudos to the Highlander production company for being honest with their accounting.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Flat fee or percentage is a gamble on any film.

Kim Basinger complained about how much Jack Nicholson made on Batman where her got a percentage when she didn't. That was considered risky because no one thought Michael Keaton could pull it off and it had been years since there had been a successful comic book film.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
7 months ago
Flat fee or percentage is a gamble on any film.

Kim Basinger complained about how much Jack Nicholson made on Batman where her got a percentage when she didn't. That was considered risky because no one thought Michael Keaton could pull it off and it had been years since there had been a successful comic book film.
Lets see Jack Nicholson a great actor, Kim Bassinger really eye candy in the movie