Discovering Batwoman

General discussions about superheroines!
Darkdestroyer17

Recently, for a roleplay, I did some research on the Bat-Woman character to create a bio. I did not realize just how awesome her character was. She is not only gay but she is also what a strong female heroine IS (unlike Rey). Can anyone recommend any good Bat woman comics i can start with? Why is she not more popular as a character?
P.S How cool is her costume???

Also here is the research i came up with. Thought id share.
Batwoman 1.jpg
Batwoman 1.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Batwoman 2.jpg
Batwoman 2.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Abilities

Acrobatics: She is quite skilled in gymnastics having trained in the sport since she was very young and made it to senior elite level.
Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Kate received basic training at West Point, then further, more intensive training in various martial arts during her travels around the world. Nightwing mentions that she uses at least three different fighting styles.[20]

Investigation: Kate has studied under experts in forensic science, law, behavioral science and criminology, learning methods both high-tech and old-school for tracking down criminals.
Criminology
Law

Interrogation: While Batwoman does a lot of physical intimidation and violent interrogation work - though she wouldn't torture or deliberately maim people.

Intimidation: She leverages her considerable presence, her excellent training in psychology and interrogation, being obviously willing and able to hit people really really hard, suddenly shifting toward protectiveness, etc. to achieve remarkable results.

Military Protocol: A one-time soldier raised by a career soldier, Kate is quite familiar with military policy, protocol and most aspects of life in the Army.

Gadgetry: Kate is adept in the art of tinkering with things both mechanical and electronic.

Computer Hacking: Kate is capable of hacking and some basic programming, but more importantly, of keeping her own computers and gadgets from being hacked or traced.

Stealth: Kate is a master of stealth, as noted by Batman, being so good that even Supergirl didn't notice her, even with her advance hearing.
[
b]Weaknesses[/b]
Cardiac Weakness: During the year after the Infinite Crisis, Kane was stabbed in the heart by Bruno Mannheim. Since then, despite therapy and a healthy recovery, scarring remains and she is not as good as she might otherwise be.

Equipment:
Utility Belt
Weapons
Batarangs
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The fact that she is a lesbian sold me.....LUV her and her costume...I am shocked she isn't more in the spotlight because that costume is amazing just like it should be
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

In some of the animated cartoons she is portrayed as headstrong and rash sometimes endangering the public -maybe that should be mentioned as a weakness.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Void
Sargeant
Sargeant

I do indeed wish they did a lot more with the character. For me, she's the best heroine DC has in their roster. I remember a really enticing storyline in the comics involving Batwoman being seduced/enthralled by a vampire-like villainess called Nocturna (who also had a fantastic look) and struggling to be a heroine while being in this abusive, controlling relationship with the villainess trying to corrupt her. More than once been tempted to actually write fan-fiction about that very thing.

Hopefully she gets more of her own comics in the future.
Lost in the night, and there is no morning.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

On the Batgirl Bat Trap page, I always enjoyed the stories with Batwoman and Flamebird the most.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I don't know that I'd say she isn't popular? Her popularity has mostly been at a slow and steady incline since she took over the 'Detective Comics' series for awhile a few years back. She's sort of even considered Batman's equal in most ways. Like, didn't they do a series where Batman and Batwoman were sorta training 'the next generation' with like... robin and spoiler and batgirl or something?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

A question:

Are there too many members of the Bat family she gets lost in the shuffle?

1. Batman
2 Whatever Dick Grayson is
3. Bat girl/Oracle

etc
Darkdestroyer17

Void wrote:
6 years ago
I do indeed wish they did a lot more with the character. For me, she's the best heroine DC has in their roster. I remember a really enticing storyline in the comics involving Batwoman being seduced/enthralled by a vampire-like villainess called Nocturna (who also had a fantastic look) and struggling to be a heroine while being in this abusive, controlling relationship with the villainess trying to corrupt her. More than once been tempted to actually write fan-fiction about that very thing.

Hopefully she gets more of her own comics in the future.
Yes I did discover Nocturna and you are right she is a vexing villainess. Especially when it comes to her powers of persuasion. Not only will it make a heroine do things she otherwise wouldnt, but it only works if somewhere deep down they wanted to. I actually am considering writing a Batwoman story. Let me know if you would want to work with me on one or just bounce ideas around.
Darkdestroyer17

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
In some of the animated cartoons she is portrayed as headstrong and rash sometimes endangering the public -maybe that should be mentioned as a weakness.
Good point.
Darkdestroyer17

batgirl1969 wrote:
6 years ago
The fact that she is a lesbian sold me.....LUV her and her costume...I am shocked she isn't more in the spotlight because that costume is amazing just like it should be
I am shocked as much as you are. She is WAY cooler than batgirl.
Darkdestroyer17

Femina wrote:
6 years ago
I don't know that I'd say she isn't popular? Her popularity has mostly been at a slow and steady incline since she took over the 'Detective Comics' series for awhile a few years back. She's sort of even considered Batman's equal in most ways. Like, didn't they do a series where Batman and Batwoman were sorta training 'the next generation' with like... robin and spoiler and batgirl or something?
Hmm.

Yea either way she is probably my favorite superheroine now not just in ship but in comics as well.
I would love a Dceu Batwoman film.
Darkdestroyer17

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 years ago
A question:

1. Batman
3. Bat girl/Oracle

etc
I think that she gets lost in the shuffle because she prefers to work alone and would rather not get involved in the bat family if she can help it. In many ways she doesnt need them and i would say, next to Dick Grayson (who is Nightwing btw. Another really cool character) , is the closest thing to an equal to batman in the bat family.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Darkdestroyer17 wrote:
6 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
6 years ago
A question:

1. Batman
3. Bat girl/Oracle

etc
I think that she gets lost in the shuffle because she prefers to work alone and would rather not get involved in the bat family if she can help it. In many ways she doesnt need them and i would say, next to Dick Grayson (who is Nightwing btw. Another really cool character) , is the closest thing to an equal to batman in the bat family.
Dick Grayson has been Robin, Nightwing, Batman and Grayson

Granted Nightwing is his best character

But you have BatGirl who is far more iconic, plus Huntress
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Barwoman is a reboot of the 1940s character with her niece Batgirl.

The current version of Batgirl came in the 1960s when they used her in the TV series.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Barwoman? lol. Thats my kinda heroine! lol

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Barwoman? lol. Thats my kinda heroine! lol
Lol...me too!! Does she slide down a a stripper pole to her cave? Wait...that's me damnit!!
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

The only super power that barwoman and barman have is that the more people around them have to drink, the more attractive they become.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

A rare pick of Barwoman in action.
befce0059fd94ef4f71861ee5e7903ab.jpg
befce0059fd94ef4f71861ee5e7903ab.jpg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
She's my kinda gal alright!

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Is anyone else feeling that draft...beer?
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Hell yeah....

As a mod I really shouldn't be derailing posters threads so I apologise for my silliness and here to get things back on track is the amazing Kendra James as the stunningly sexy BW
kj ko.jpg
kj ko.jpg (129.99 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Yes we need more of this character in all forms of sh media
kj bw.jpg
kj bw.jpg (47.52 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
kj bw rigid.jpg
kj bw rigid.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 2567 times

viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

She really owns the Bat Woman character. I haven't seen photos of anyone who comes close.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes I agree....she OWNS that costume and character!!
Plus she loves women....my kind of lady!!
shevek
Producer
Producer

One thing that makes Batwoman different than the other Batfolks is that she uses guns.
I agree, though, she is beautiful (she is often depicted in close-ups with the ruby red lips contrasted against her pale face, which is super hot)
and an accomplished fighter.

Also can't think of anyone who even comes close to Kendra in portraying her in SHIP, although it's been a lot more on
the peril/fetish side of things than the kind of combat we know Kathy Kane can do from the comics. I've also seen Andrea Rosu and Ludella Hahn
do Batwoman, and of course there is the Batwoman video from Primal.

Definitely an underexposed heroine in terms of media though. I wonder - is there a solid gay/lesbian TV network that might benefit from a Batwoman TV show as a flagship series?