SHC brand objectification

The Dark Side Of Superheroine Peril Discussion - 18 and older.
decendingskulls
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I haven't been a member of SHC for a while now, and also let's be honest the updates over there have slowed to a crawl for years. But I was thinking back to the old SHC videos Dan-O did, and how different they are from virtually everything else being made today. The superheroine fetish movie industry is apparently booming, but no one has quite taken up his mantle. Instead for the most part the videos have gone in a slightly different direction. This is not necessarily good nor bad really it just is.

One of the things that made the SHC videos unique was just how rude they were! His villains always had a particularly dark attitude towards superheroines. Not just enemies - Dan-O's villains barely regarded the superheroines as human, often referring to them in highly offensive condescending terms, calling them out as "cows" with "fat-titted udders" and so forth. As if that wasn't enough, on multiple occasions the villains wanted to eat the superheroines, and were often successful, confirming all the dehumanizing things he had said about them leading up to their "udder defeat". I think what I liked about it is what a drastic turnabout it is - to go from proud civic savior - and then to be beyond objectified and "consumed" visually - to be under threat of being actually consumed and reduced to nothing. Harsh! But I like jolting things like that.

The superheroines in his videos were completely debased and objectified in such a way that I don't seem to recall having seen duplicated elsewhere or at least not in a while.

Frankly I do not know how he got so many people to play along with these fantasies, but kudos to them for being open-minded! I do remember from his update notes that it didn't always work out - once or twice actors would bail because they got creeped out by the material they were being asked to act out.

There were a bunch of things that bugged me about his videos - too much narration, obsession with spraying lotion all over boobs in like every movie, etc. But sometimes I miss the Dan-O style attitude towards superheroines. It was pure evil.

I wasn't offended by it because I have a very open mind and dark sensibility to begin with, so I find that stuff to be fun. But what do you all think?
Ave atque vale
Ripper1
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Well I for one was a fan at that time because like you say back when he was rolling , he was one of the major producers, & the ladies he did get were in my books top notch. (my sweet heart would be Summer who only played in a couple of videos DARN IT) oh & can't forget the lady that probably got it all started for him Damn what the hell was her name again (she played UltraWoman Mainly , but also played some very nasty Villainess Too.
As you stated there were a lot of things that bugged me too , but still for his time he even had not bad effects in some movies.

I still find myself going back & viewing them once in a while , & feel that he really missed the opportunity to possible have some of the ladies now that are leading the pack in this genre star in his quirks.

I pretty much collected everything that he put out plus don't forget the artwork that he had done for his site too, great stuff then & even today they would be in the high rankings.

Some times they just don't have the heart in anymore.
oh well I have my collections from that time & producer, so I am happy with what I did get

only thing that he should have done was a little better job on sales, having to buy the CD sets that didn't usually contain a complete video set was a real BAD Marketing way to do business :(
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Personally, I never really liked Dan-O's style all that much. I was a member and I downloaded the videos because he was a real pioneer and there really weren't any other sites around at the time to give him any significant competition.

But those booming voice-overs talking about how the heroines are all sluts who really want to be defeated never did anything for me - I found them kind've annoying. All those boob puns. Meh.

To each his own, and I wish you luck in getting the kind of content you want to see. But for me, I can do without any more of that. On the other hand, there are, quite frankly, no producers really making the kinds of videos I really want to see. At least not exactly. Which is why I buy a custom every now and then.

So if you have the means, maybe someone could put together a custom in the Dan-O style for you. :)
decendingskulls
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Ripper1 wrote:(my sweet heart would be Summer who only played in a couple of videos DARN IT) oh & can't forget the lady that probably got it all started for him Damn what the hell was her name again (she played UltraWoman Mainly , but also played some very nasty Villainess Too.
Summer was amazing. I know the other girl you're talking about she was in a bunch of his movies - but I don't know her name either.
Ripper1 wrote:feel that he really missed the opportunity to possible have some of the ladies now that are leading the pack in this genre star in his quirks.
True and also the big shame is small the dimensions of those videos are on today's HD monitors.
Ripper1 wrote:I pretty much collected everything that he put out plus don't forget the artwork that he had done for his site too, great stuff then & even today they would be in the high rankings.
Totally his art is incredible. I wish I could draw half as good as he does.
Ripper1 wrote:only thing that he should have done was a little better job on sales, having to buy the CD sets that didn't usually contain a complete video set was a real BAD Marketing way to do business :(
Everything about the site in terms of how you pay to get content is ridiculous. Pay for a membership with updates that come weeks late, or as you pointed out buy discs that are chronological archives when they should focus on the content.
Ave atque vale
decendingskulls
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

TIEnTEEZ wrote:But those booming voice-overs ... All those boob puns. Meh.
Agreed. I liked the direction of it but it was too over the top.
TIEnTEEZ wrote:To each his own, and I wish you luck in getting the kind of content you want to see ... Which is why I buy a custom every now and then ... So if you have the means, maybe someone could put together a custom in the Dan-O style for you. :)
So far I have paid for two customs and I couldn't agree more that's the way to go if you want something specific rather than sitting around wishing it would happen on its own. I wouldn't want to duplicate exactly his style anyway or believe me I would have done it by now. The thread was more me thinking out loud and curious what others thought than wishing for something to be created.
Ave atque vale
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

decendingskulls wrote: One of the things that made the SHC videos unique was just how rude they were! His villains always had a particularly dark attitude towards superheroines. Not just enemies - Dan-O's villains barely regarded the superheroines as human, often referring to them in highly offensive condescending terms, calling them out as "cows" with "fat-titted udders" and so forth.

I always loved that aspect of that sight, and it was a pretty big part of the comics side of things as well (which I preferred). I know that attitude is strong in a lot of the superheroine stuff that can be found on amazon (not sure about other places like Smashword). When I write my stories most of my villains act that way, verbal abuse is half the fun!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The model who played Ultrawoman was named Mona. She also went by the name Taylor. Was our secretary for many years.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ripper1 wrote: only thing that he should have done was a little better job on sales, having to buy the CD sets that didn't usually contain a complete video set was a real BAD Marketing way to do business :(
CD-ROMs were dated, even back in the early 2000s. It always seemed really weird to me that DanO never got to grips with 21st Century technology. Even now, the site is offering videos in MPEG formats which comply with the VCD and SVCD specifications from the 1990s.

The guy has a massive archive which is going to waste. Why can't he just get his old videos encoded to a modern MP4 format? It's easy enough to do with even the most basic computer skills.

DanO's business model baffles me. It's like he's a Cyber Amish who refuses to touch any innovations since the turn of the millennium.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote: CD-ROMs were dated, even back in the early 2000s. It always seemed really weird to me that DanO never got to grips with 21st Century technology. Even now, the site is offering videos in MPEG formats which comply with the VCD and SVCD specifications from the 1990s.
DanO started when MPG was the best universal format available that got the least amount of tech support issues. I STILL can't use frames on my website cause someone somewhere will complain they can't see my site. Heck I can't even use Java script.

Heroine Addict wrote: The guy has a massive archive which is going to waste. Why can't he just get his old videos encoded to a modern MP4 format? It's easy enough to do with even the most basic computer skills.
Cause when that stuff was filmed an HD camera was 10s of thousands of dollars. Everything was filmed in standard def. Our first HD camera was $2500 and weighed a ton. Yeah NOW things should be high def. And its not like the original data is around. The dat tapes are erased and any digital backup is still only 720x480.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I get that MPG was what most computers could play "straight out of the box" with no codec installation all those years ago. However, I don't see why DanO is one of the very few people using those formats in this day and age? Surely he would save a ton of bandwidth by re-encoding the 720x480 MPGs to MP4?
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

That's a question for him. I don't work with him any longer.
Eagle
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

In any case I'm glad to see you're still around Mr.X.
A name that stretches back to the dawn of when I discovered this whole thing!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I see he is re running his old stuff, I must say I am tempted to sign up abd grab some of the old Butterscotch Fox stuff I am missing. I really loved those characters, don't get why he never did a butterscotch fox film (but he did loads of gold clad Avenger vids)

It dawns on me that talking to Randy Moore about a custom is probably the way to go here.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Really enjoyed his old videos. At the time his costumes were really incredible and there were some amazing videos he put out with Ultra Woman, Thrust Girl, etc.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Thrust Girl was one of the BEST SHC videos, along with the Gold Avenger and Ultragirl/woman videos. Would love to see more of those come out though some other producer.
That said, in reading the original post, I HATED Dan's obsession with the cow references. It seemed as if that's all he could think of to humiliate heroines (besides the action). Frankly, it started to annoy me and made me mute his videos.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
ywf
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

surprised that nobody mentioned Knock Down Drag Out
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Loved the UltraWoman bids; always joined up for those updates, along with Galaxy Girl
centurion200
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

fantastic models. Sexual peril done superbly. Don't think anyone else has matched him for the sexyness of his costumes either.

That yellow goop, though! was it pudding?

I wish the vids were available in HD. Quality was just shit.
GMan2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Erica Steele=Gold Avenger = HOT!!!
Leslie Culton = OMG HOT!!! (And brought Ms. Americana to LIFE :yahoo: )
Mona = Ultra Woman, Magnificently HOT!!!
KC Cannons = American Fox and Galaxy Girl = Droolness full of hotness
Tanya Danielle = Power Angel (That clip where she was FORCED to eat the poison? OMG...so friggin hot...Mona was in that one playing an 'evil photographer)

Great stuff for many years...Hated seeing him 'burn out'. Same can be said for Villain at Sooperhero. Great material at the beginning and for many years after...but then you start seeing where these producers just start burning out. Week after week of attempting to come up with 'fresh' ideas??? Yeah, I'd bet that does take a toll on you. :yes:
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

GMan2 wrote:Erica Steele=Gold Avenger = HOT!!!
Great stuff for many years...Hated seeing him 'burn out'. Same can be said for Villain at Sooperhero. Great material at the beginning and for many years after...but then you start seeing where these producers just start burning out. Week after week of attempting to come up with 'fresh' ideas??? Yeah, I'd bet that does take a toll on you. :yes:
That seemed to be one of the biggest pit falls of the "new stuff every week" business model. It just feels like setting yourself up to piss old subscribers off when you run out of material for what ever reasons.

And it always sucked that you couldn't just pay for the whole "comic" in one go (I read those, didn't really watch the videos). His stuff was awesome but his business model was not the best.
thrifty
Henchman
Henchman

centurion200 wrote:fantastic models. Sexual peril done superbly. Don't think anyone else has matched him for the sexyness of his costumes either.

That yellow goop, though! was it pudding?

I wish the vids were available in HD. Quality was just shit.
simple and yet sexy

I like the "regeneration" theme too, poor girls received even more abuse after regeneration