Feminism in the classic batman show of the 60 s?

General discussions about superheroines!
Batfetish
Sargeant
Sargeant

I watched the episode Nora Clavicle "lady crimeclub". The show was openly a feminist episode, were woman take over the controll of gotham city and fired every man in Gotham city. I was born in 1984 but today, it would create today a giant outrage, because how woman were shown was very primitiv and stereotype. The femal police officers were armed with kitchen tools, only interested in cooking, fashion and make up. It was good meaned, but today extremly sexistic, even I wouldnt discribe my self as male feminist. But so impossible it sound, could feminist learn something from the old batman show? yes. Because in this show was a lot of female domination, were they had the men nearly as slaves who follow every order, like Catwoman, Black Widow, Queen Marsha, MInerva, Sirene, Greates mother of all, etc. Pussycat, Queenmarsha use men and boys as their sex or loveslave. Olga got her idiot partner Egghead and her gang only men. Egghead was a little pussy, sissy and coward who hide his self behind olgas rock, because olga said he should grap batgirl. As he refuse, olga pull his ear, so he follow the order like a dog. Other scene he was very frightning to batgirl as Batgirl said Egghead should get on the bycle. The important part is, that the boys and men were loyal, sissy and sexslave for the woman, it show as the normals think on earth, were there is nothing to debate. Feminist today would show ( hope I would offend someone), look her as girl or woman I am much stronger then boys or men. IT is a bit contraproductiv, because it show that this is some thing special. But in the batworld female domination , were the girls beats boys or boys or men were loyal to woman/girls, it is ultra normal, were there is nothing to talk on it. SO ultranormal like a politicaly party of the US Republican. Sorry , if you cant understand everythink, because my english is not good.
Ende der Chat-Unterhaltung
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I did see some of that domination and although Catwoman wanted relationship with batman she definitely wanted robin as a sex slave.

But with a few exceptions Blaze False Face's assistant, they did not spend anytime on the lackeys of each sex.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The Clavicle episode was I think meant to show how radicals can use a movement to merely better their own ends. Would have loved to see those two blonde assistants gets beaten in a fight. They were tied up though.

Batgirl pretty much represents female empowerment. She's really not saved much by batman.

I just finished watching the whole blu ray set and noticed a fair number of blacks as citizens in the background. Sadly no real blacks except Eartha Kitt and an occasional thug but the show did include blacks in things like millionaire dinners.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

They also used famous black actors for the window Bat climb cameos although Sammy Davis Jr. is the only one that I can remember off hand.

Only a few women got major roles as the assistants, but they usually did get more lines than the generic male thugs used for the fights. The more prominent ones were Shame's girl friend and future mother-in-law, Masha's aunt Hildy, Chandell's trio, and Catwoman's ones. I think it was less sexism, than reducing production costs by focusing on the villain of the week. After all the show created several female villains like Ma Parker, the Siren, Minerva, Nora Clavicle, and Olga to balance out the highly male ones from the comics.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

And don't forget Lola Lasagna and Lord Fog and his sister and their all girl school.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Most of the Batman Universe in the show was the good guys upholding the status quo and the villains trying to break it down. Batman and the men of Gotham were always quite patronizing of Bat-"girl". I guess it fit with the times, a new generation was trying to upset the apple cart (viet nam protests, civil rights, women's lib). Batman was all about maintaining the civil state. I suppose he would have waxed poetic about the need to return to the simpler times.... The villains seemed to treat there female cohorts in crime with much more equanimity. Lady Peasoup gave a lot of responcibility to Lady Prudence, I only wish one of them was setting up Batgirl in a Bat-trap. College girls can make catty bitches.... I am sure she would have come up with something suitably diabolical for Batgirl. After all, she captured her, she should have gotten to have her perverse jollies with her, too.

I wished that Siren had gotten her hands on Batgirl. Not being able to control her as she could her male captives, I imagine Siren would commanded her male slaves to drag the struggling Batgirl into some suitably devious trap.... For Siren's entertainment, of course.....
ImageImageImage

Lotus was another empowered hench woman (well, not really, but she gets to utter one of my favorite lines in the series "I hoping you would say that" when informed that she was to kill batgirl). The only thing that prevented that from becoming a true classic was the lacking of a half mile of rope...
killorson
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

That's all I can think of when I hear the word 'feminist' are the modern day bigots who collectively judge men and whites as privileged oppressors while describing everyone else as helpless children needing government handholding and discrimination in their favor or the puritans who get comic book covers and costumes censored and have pretty much ruined comic books all together. They are the ones offended by everything and making it scary to tell a joke or flirt where anyone can overhear you, lest one's life be ruined. They are the ones destroying campuses and innocent people over fake rape allegations (e.g. Duke Lacrosse, UVA's Jackie, Meg Lanker-Simmons, Mattress Girl, et al). I prefer when people identifiable as men could whistle at people identifiable as women, say nice legs, and no little pajama boys or jealous women could destroy them over this harmless, healthy interaction. The sites they frequent are every bit as disgusting as the Westboro Baptist Church.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Dude, a little anger? there are some rape allegations that are fake, but there are a lot rapes that real. Whistling at an attractive woman is fine for you, but you don't have to live with it day in and day out. flirting is okay as long as it is okay.... but once you start putting pubic hairs on the coke cans, has it gone to far (google it)?