New Spider Woman Costume...

General discussions about superheroines!
dajinx1
Producer
Producer

So it look like Spider Woman will officially have a new costume. I'm a fan of the original costume but I'm not sure how I feel about this one.
I'm just a little disappointed how comics are moving away from the traditional super hero costumes to the more practical/boring looks. I think Spiderman is the only superhero left wearing a traditional superhero costume. :sad:

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/conten ... ew-costume
Rye
Producer
Producer

Hate the new one... even more than I hate the new Batgirl I think. She looks like she's wearing pajamas from Target. :no:

I'll be shocked of both the new Bats and Spider Woman don't tank in sales compared to past releases.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Also looks like SpiderWoman got a breast reduction which I'm guessing is a main part of the redesign.
ttb51m
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

well that is just garbage,

good luck in the future marvel, hope the movies keep doing well cause you are gonna kill off comic sales with crap like this, this will fail epic like.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Reminds me of that Black Canary redesign back in the 90s with the baggie shirt and pants. But they went back to the old suit after a while.

But this redesign makes no sense to me. SW is not bare legged or showing of cleavage (Power Girl). A body suit is a body suit and that new suit looks harder to draw.

Me thinks this has a lot more to do with the golden rule of if men like something, it has to be changed or banned.
Last edited by Mr. X 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

What's the deal with making grown women look like young girls in comic books? Are Marvel and DC trying to tap the Japanese market?
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
dantoon
Henchman
Henchman

I doubt that people read comics just for the outfits the characters wear
ywf
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

dantoon wrote:I doubt that people read comics just for the outfits the characters wear
I do. Costume is one of the most important elements in this genre
Blue-Scion

Im gonna miss the breasts
EvilDaria
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

How old is this new character supposed to be? In her original form she was always 25-29, a woman with experience of life and with post-graduate degrees. This one looks uncomfortably young to me, I'd not want to include her in my fantasies. And what is she wearing on her face - sunglasses?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

dajinx1 wrote:So it look like Spider Woman will officially have a new costume. I'm a fan of the original costume but I'm not sure how I feel about this one.
I'm just a little disappointed how comics are moving away from the traditional super hero costumes to the more practical/boring looks. I think Spiderman is the only superhero left wearing a traditional superhero costume. :sad:

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/conten ... ew-costume
I agree with other posts, it looks anime. Which I am not a fan of.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

It looks hideous, I don't understand why they are trying to make the heroines less sexy in comics.
centurion200
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

Damn.

New costume and a breast reduction at the same time.

Booo!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah I agree the "younging" of these characters is kind of disturbing. So newer fans are more into young girls now? Kind of like getting off on the teen titans I guess.

I always hear they are targeting younger audiences but this seems like a new way of fetish people are getting into the industry.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I like that they've moved away from making female characters arbitrarily cheesecake-y. Maybe the writers and artists are starting to get the idea that people might like the female characters for reasons beyond titillation.

Although, I mean under the circumstances, I suppose that might not be a very common idea in these parts. :D

I like there to be a divide between regular comics and cheesecake though, too much random hotness distracts from the story, and too much story gets in the way of hotness.
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

As far as I can tell, both this redesign and the new "Batgirl of Burnside" are influenced by the success of the recent Ms. Marvel comic. I don't dislike the Ms. Marvel redesign, what I've seen of it, and I can tolerate the Batgirl changes, but this new costume just looks wrong to me. I guess I can't complain too much, personally, since I stopped reading anything but reprints a very, very long time ago. :laugh: Current readers largely seem to like the changes which are taking place.

This new costume design at least does not make the character look like an elf warrior, a ninja, or an escapee from the GI Joe comics. So there's that. :unsure:
Tuathal
Henchman
Henchman

I understand that they are trying to go in a direction where the costumes reflect modern fashion and are functional wear and am ok with redesigning outfits. But it's Spider-Woman not Spider-Girl, what's with the youth movement for these heroines?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Christ on a bike that's poor. :no:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

Feels more like a Spider-girl costume than Spiderwoman. It's pretty much the same complaint I have with the Batgirl redesign, it doesn't fit the person wearing the costume. The young hip look would work with May or Anya, but on Jessica it feels like they're disregarding her experience even with Marvel's sliding timeline.
ttb51m
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

oh and I don't mind being the total shallow chauvinist

is it just me or did the new look lose all her breast tissue and it was transplanted to her hips?

I get that its just a drawing but look at the old and the new, either the artist just phoned this new drawing in or he has some serious body dysmorphia (sp) issues of his own.

:D
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ttb51m wrote:oh and I don't mind being the total shallow chauvinist

is it just me or did the new look lose all her breast tissue and it was transplanted to her hips?
Nope not just you.
ywf
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

ttb51m wrote:oh and I don't mind being the total shallow chauvinist

I get that its just a drawing but look at the old and the new, either the artist just phoned this new drawing in or he has some serious body dysmorphia (sp) issues of his own.

:D
from hourglass to pear...
zirro
Neophyte
Neophyte

I hate the new costume.
I think that now Disney has full control over Marvel and will become the
adult characters in the Marvel characters for children like Disney.
also miss marvel had a costume change because he had too much exposed skin, and have decided to cover it with a suit by a jet pilot, so it is presentable for a comicmovie.
jessica they put a costume for a child to remove the problem of the body too sexy.
if you see the movie marvel are a little too comedy that action.
Soon we will see spiderman with mouse ears.

I was hoping to see her in a comic movie with the original costume.

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/200H/f/ ... 7v3ie2.jpg

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/200H/f/ ... 7stffe.jpg
ttb51m
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

haha pear shape

total correct assesment,,,,pear is right on,,,,what pigs we all must be,,,the hour glass is perfect but apprently marvel belive we all should switch to fruit
fruit=yuck

good call ywf!!